Good on Bungie if this is true (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 21:41 (3548 days ago)

Amazon Describes the strategy guide as covering:

"Your guide to the missions, patrols, public events, and strikes within the solar system of Destiny. Reclaim hidden chests and Ghosts."

What's missing? THE RAID.

It would completely suck to have the raid be solved right away because it is all laid out. Good on Bungie for keeping that secret and out of the guide.

I thought them being mum on raids was made clear in the WU

by kornman00, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 21:51 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Good on Bungie if this is true

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 22:43 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Completely off topic, but has there been a single good reason to purchase a strategy guide in the last, I don't know, five years? Seems like they're wrong, outdated, incomplete, or all three either at launch or shortly thereafter, whereupon their content is expounded upon better and more accurately by a community (for free no less) in a wiki. Nevermind the meteoric rise of YouTube walkthroughs.

Obviously people still buy the things, and obviously a good percentage are probably people that just don't know better, and another percentage just don't care and want it to collect it, but outside of those two groups it seems like this should be a dying market. Is it?

Eh...

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Monday, September 01, 2014, 01:15 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

There are some guides where a lot of care is taken to provide a well-organized background on lore, such as the Dark Souls 2 guide, but for the most part, they're not really needed.

by The Woaf, Portsmouth, UK, Monday, September 01, 2014, 01:18 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I really enjoyed the hardback Halo 4 guide. But I only really looked at the art and making of content. I think it would make more sense if the walkthrough content was sidelined in favor of more companion type content.

by DEEP_NNN, Monday, September 01, 2014, 06:24 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I haven't bought a strategy guide in 30 years.

I don't think I've suffered for the lack of one either.

Agreed!

by GrimBrotherIII, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:00 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:37 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Completely off topic, but has there been a single good reason to purchase a strategy guide in the last, I don't know, five years?

Not to toot my own horn, but yeah ;-p

I honestly think the Portal 2 guide was worth purchasing if you're a Valve fan. We had tons and tons of concept art and the like, as well as a really extensive set of interviews with the developers that got really really in depth. There was a comprehensive story guide too. Tons of wiki pages copied passages and tidbits from the guide because they were so interesting and important.

As a bonus, the guide portion was really really good too with tons of tricks, shortcuts, etc.

You're right in that the actual guide portion is becoming less and less relevant due to the internet, but there's all that other stuff you can't really get anywhere else. That's why I worked with Future Press in the first place: they understand this really well.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, September 01, 2014, 12:26 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Obviously people still buy the things, and obviously a good percentage are probably people that just don't know better, and another percentage just don't care and want it to collect it, but outside of those two groups it seems like this should be a dying market. Is it?

I have all the strategy guides for the Halo games and I haven't really used them at all for their intended purpose. Especially with the fancier limited edition guides that have come out a lot lately, they're little more than collectors items.

How did I know this is entirely why you created this thread?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, September 01, 2014, 13:10 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, September 01, 2014, 13:43 (3548 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I have guides for games I've never even played!

That's more to do with my disgustingly huge backlog than anything though :/

I do like a good guide though, especially those from Piggyback.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread