Secrets of the Collapse (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 15:17 (3522 days ago)

I'm kind of digging this guy's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI_MK3vMHM8

Thanks for posting that.

by ckamp, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 15:53 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is the kind of stuff I love about Bungie. They generally do mystery and lore really well. I'm thinking of stuff like the Cortana Letters and most of Marathon.

I hope they leave it kind of vague and don't spell it out too much...

Secrets of the Collapse *Edit*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 16:09 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 16:32

Not bad. Not bad at all! :)

I think he leaps a bit too far with Rasputin controlling The Traveler, but I like his reading of everything else. The idea that Humanity knew that The Traveler was the enemy's target is neat. I wonder if Isis being The Traveler might have anything to do with the Trials of Osiris... the two were brother and sister and... uh, more... after all.

We had a small bit of discussion about this back in the Grimoire thread but nobody picked up that RSPN might mean Rasputin.

This part here:

Bootstrap simulation suggests event is DIRECTED and INIMICABLE (convergent q-Bayes/Monte Carlo probability approaches 1).

means that Rasputin ran a large number of simulations with random inputs looking for alternatives but the only explanation that approached one, or seemed to be true, was that of a directed and hostile force.

This part:

Promote event to SKYSHOCK: OCP: EXTINCTION.

could refer to "Outside Context Problem":

a concept in Iain M. Banks The Culture novels, notably Excession. The concept is of a problem that could not have been imagined before it arose, and is thus very hard to deal with.

This part:

I am invoking CARRHAE WHITE and assuming control of solar defenses.

Probably does refer to the battle of Carrhae was where Rome invaded Parthia without the official consent of the (Roman) Senate... I think what this means is Rasputin did indeed take over without permission because he picked up on this entirely unforeseen extinction level event coming towards us. CARRHAE WHITE is probably something like Halo's Winter Contingency, an all overriding emergency protocol.

Very interesting indeed! :)

Fingers crossed....

by Monochron, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 21:35 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That we actually get this history shown to us in-game and it isn't just text that we have to gather ourselves from the Grimoire.

I love codex as much as the next guy, but this kind of thing seems like crucial back story. And I'm not looking forward to only being able to find my enemies motives by reading pages of codex/hidden items (ala the Didact in H4).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread