Strength, Discipline and Intellect: Which will you choose? (Destiny)

by Dan de Board @, Friday, September 05, 2014, 22:34 (3543 days ago)

Strength, Discipline and Intellect are attributes we can choose to use depending on the gear that we wear. They lower the cooldowns on our abilities, allowing us to tune our Guardian to play how we want. Here's a summary:

Strength reduces the cooldown on your melee ability.

Discipline lowers your cooldown on your grenades.

Intellect lowers the cooldown on your super.

Assuming gear has one primary attribute it boosts a lot and one secondary attribute it boosts less, which two of the three will you choose?

As a Striker Titan, despite the emphasis on close quarters I'd choose Discipline and Intellect since I'll be able to control situations better in PvE and PvP. Shock punching my enemies is nice, but not something I need to do all the time.

What stats are you thinking of using? Are you waiting to reach max level and have access to all your abilites to find out, or do you have a general idea of how you want your Guardian to play?

Strength, Discipline and Intellect: Which will you choose?

by Avateur @, Friday, September 05, 2014, 22:57 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board
edited by Avateur, Friday, September 05, 2014, 23:15

What stats are you thinking of using? Are you waiting to reach max level and have access to all your abilites to find out, or do you have a general idea of how you want your Guardian to play?

Strength and Discipline. That's what I did in the Beta, too.

Edit: I played a Titan in the Beta and plan to be a Titan come launch. Not sure if that matters, but yeah, Strength and Discipline.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 05, 2014, 23:02 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Strength, Discipline and Intellect are attributes we can choose to use depending on the gear that we wear. They lower the cooldowns on our abilities, allowing us to tune our Guardian to play how we want. Here's a summary:

Assuming gear has one primary attribute it boosts a lot and one secondary attribute it boosts less, which two of the three will you choose?

As a Striker Titan, despite the emphasis on close quarters I'd choose Discipline and Intellect since I'll be able to control situations better in PvE and PvP. Shock punching my enemies is nice, but not something I need to do all the time.

What stats are you thinking of using? Are you waiting to reach max level and have access to all your abilities to find out, or do you have a general idea of how you want your Guardian to play?

Discipline first. As a Titan I have to run into gunfire to punch someone into the face... not the best idea... or even to use my Super. With my grenades back I can hold an area or blind an enemy or whatever over and over. After that Intellect for the Super. Maybe I'll rethink things once I get to see the area of affect aspect that can be added onto the melee power.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, September 05, 2014, 23:16 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Discipline, then Strength, like in the Beta.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 02:36 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Discipline.
Strength.
Intellect.

I love the grenades so much in this game, so I want them as many of them as possible and as fast as possible (I'm very much looking forward to the two grenades available with the Sunsinger!). Anything that can reduce their cooldown will likely be equipped while I'm still discovering all the new nuances of the full game.

Then I'm also pretty big on melee, so that's needed. I'm a fan of close quarter lurking and antics. I don't mind if my supers recharge suffers here.

Who knows if this is actually how it'll go down when I play for a couple of weeks!

Interesting....

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 02:51 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

At first, I was thinking "why wouldn't you choose Intellect to get your super quicker?" But, assuming you're playing together with a fire team or, even just near team mates in the Crucible, I guess you get enough orbs to boost your super relatively quickly anyway. Discipline and strength could be considered better to focus on to be much more well-rounded.

I'll be playing Hunter off the bat, so discipline and strength will be great, especially for that throwing knife :)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 04:42 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I played a Hunter (mostly) in the Beta and went with Intellect (moar Golden Gun is moar better!) followed by Discipline. I think I'll do that again in a few days.

-- Steve didn't feel the need to boost Strength after learning how effective the throwing knife could be.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:09 (3542 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

-- Steve didn't feel the need to boost Strength after learning how effective the throwing knife could be.

Strength should let you use your throwing knife more often, no?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 06, 2014, 14:48 (3542 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Maybe he was implying he didn't quite work out the knife-throwing yet?

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 15:21 (3542 days ago) @ ZackDark

Maybe he was implying he didn't quite work out the knife-throwing yet?

No, it's that I only really needed to throw a knife once in an encounter, maybe twice. Straight-up melee and close-quarters gunfire served admirably after the first throw.

-- Steve prefers to snipe from long range though; that's the vast majority of his kills.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 05:22 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

While I loved slamming and jamming with my Titan from the beta, I'm really interested to try out the defensive sub class, in which case I'd want to focus primarily on getting my super quicker to be more helpful to my team more often with that sweet, sweet bubble shield. I think after that I'd focus on grenades... But I'm still unsure. I'm really glad there are the character slots, because I'm going to want to try all the things

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 06:30 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

As a Warlock, Discipline was the most useful for me, so I maxed that out. I would focus on Intellect secondary, I couldn't really care about Strength. Except..

Hmm

#WarlockSchool

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 07:43 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Probably Strength then Discipline.

As a Hunter getting your throwing knife as much as possible is awesome!

Thinking Strength and Intellect... *GIF*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 07:46 (3543 days ago) @ Dan de Board

But I'm basically going for this.

[image]

Yes!

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 15:53 (3542 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wow. Such knife. So Hunter.

*Hood-pop*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 06, 2014, 08:54 (3542 days ago) @ Dan de Board

As a CQB Warlock, I've found Strength and Discipline to be of most use in the Beta, so I'll stick to those. Soul Rip, a Drain (special melee) ability, helps recharge the Nova Bomb faster, so I really have little need for Intellect if I get my Drain all the time, not to mention Embrace the Void, which makes the Nova Bomb trigger the Drain effects, effectively charging itself. :D

Just so you know.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 08:57 (3542 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, September 06, 2014, 09:02

As a CQB Warlock, I've found Strength and Discipline to be of most use in the Beta, so I'll stick to those. Soul Rip, a Drain (special melee) ability, helps recharge the Nova Bomb faster, so I really have little need for Intellect if I get my Drain all the time, not to mention Embrace the Void, which makes the Nova Bomb trigger the Drain effects, effectively charging itself. :D

They changed the Void load-out, so it isn't as it was in the beta. Embrace the Void is now much higher tier. They moved Angry Magic too.

I blame Sage.

Edit: On the left is what I got from the beta, on the right is my Beta Bungie Profile, hours before deletion.

Note the movement.

[image]

I've been waiting to post this. ;) /Warlock

*Shakes fist at sky*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 06, 2014, 09:04 (3542 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, September 06, 2014, 19:37 (3542 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Probably a balance of all three, if I can. I will bring Balance to the Titan.

Strength. I like to punch.

by GrimBrotherIII, Sunday, September 07, 2014, 19:06 (3541 days ago) @ Dan de Board

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread