PSA: PS3 -> PS4 Digital Upgrade delayed availability (Destiny)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, September 08, 2014, 18:50 (3528 days ago)

It looks like if you are trying to take advantage of the PS3->PS4 upgrade, that you'll have to play on your PS3 for the first 42 hours or so. The FAQ just updated an hour ago:

Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.

Source

So far, no changes have been made to the Xbox section. My fingers are crossed...

Pete the Duck is laughing.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 08, 2014, 19:08 (3528 days ago) @ JDQuackers

It looks like if you are trying to take advantage of the PS3->PS4 upgrade, that you'll have to play on your PS3 for the first 42 hours or so. The FAQ just updated an hour ago:

Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.

Source

So far, no changes have been made to the Xbox section. My fingers are crossed...

Just kidding, Pete, but this is quite ironic, no?

My plans may have to change regarding my first playthrough. And yes, this is complete bullcrap.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, September 08, 2014, 19:13 (3528 days ago) @ Kermit

My plans may have to change regarding my first playthrough. And yes, this is complete bullcrap.

If they do the same thing for the 360->XBone upgrade I'll be miffed. I just cancelled my original digital preorder this morning.

by petetheduck, Monday, September 08, 2014, 19:22 (3528 days ago) @ JDQuackers

If they do the same thing for the 360->XBone upgrade I'll be miffed. I just cancelled my original digital preorder this morning.

Fortunately, my Xbox 360 and Xbox One are literally in the same TV stand, hooked up to the same TV. I just might be able to make it work if there is a delay..

Also, I've been laughing since July 16th.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, September 08, 2014, 19:34 (3528 days ago) @ petetheduck

What's all the laughter about--if you don't mind me asking--fellow duck?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, September 08, 2014, 20:08 (3527 days ago) @ JDQuackers

What's all the laughter about--if you don't mind me asking--fellow duck?

Yeah, you should really get that checked out.

by car15, Monday, September 08, 2014, 23:24 (3527 days ago) @ Kermit

Holy crap, are you actually being negative about something?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 01:47 (3527 days ago) @ car15

Holy crap, are you actually being negative about something?

Indeed. PSN is still inferior to XBL, especially when it comes to installs and updates and such.

PSA: PS3 -> PS4 Digital Upgrade delayed availability

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, September 08, 2014, 22:02 (3527 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Well, that's no doubt irritating for some. Since the text was changed this late in the game, I'm assuming they ran into some last-minute problem implementing it, rather than the delay being a planned thing.

I'm hoping the last-minute problem also means it's something unique to PSN and I'll be able to play on XBone tomorrow.

FWIW I just did the Xbox upgrade immediately

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 03:09 (3527 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by petetheduck, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 04:59 (3527 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Woke up at 6, 10 minutes later Destiny Reddit lets me know the digital 360 version is available for purchase. Purchase, log in to Xbox One, Destiny listed as free, purchase. It even used the preloaded preorder I cancelled so I didn't have to download it.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 05:17 (3527 days ago) @ petetheduck

I just didn't know I could cancel it :-(

Instead now I have to convince my dad to get an XB1...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 23:25 (3526 days ago) @ petetheduck

That was pretty much my experience. Up at 5am (might be same time, I don't know where you're located), started 360 download, turned on the XBone and started that download.

I unfortunately forgot to check the XBone's auto-off timer (I have no excuse for that, after all the 360 did that as well) which meant it only got to about 40% before shutting down. Luckily, I work at home and was able to check it during the day. Both consoles were ready to go well in advance of me getting off work at 5:00pm. I was even able to start the game uip during lunch to let the updates download.

FWIW to anyone, you really can just put down one console and start playing on the other, and all your gear, mission progress, etc., is up to date. I imagine it probably won't let you play both at once (and that's a good thing, considering how out-of-whack your saved state would get). There is another bonus: apparently, which achievements you've unlocked is part of the game data saved on Bungie's end. Meaning if I get a few on XBone, later when I log on via my 360 I get a bunch of 360 achievements popping. So regardless of which console you do things on or which console your friends use to look at your achievements, they'll see an accurate representation.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread