Out of ammo? Just wait 30 secs to refill all 3 weapons. :/ (Destiny)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 18:20 (3527 days ago)

A post on reddit has pointed out that when you completely run out of ammo, you can simply sit back and wait for 30 secs until the game automatically resupplies you.

Honestly, this seems a bit cheap and lame to me.

Out of ammo? Just wait 30 secs to refill all 3 weapons. :/

by DEEP_NNN, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 20:02 (3527 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

First I heard of this. There is an item you can buy that will fill one weapon up once.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 20:05 (3527 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I noticed it in the beta when I tried to kill the Devil Walker by myself. If it wasn't for that I could not have done it.

Fair point, I guess that's what it's there for.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 01:22 (3527 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Monochron, Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 20:47 (3527 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

I lost 30 minutes of progress in a Darkness Zone in a Hard mission when I made a break for more ammo. That sucks. I would much rather have just sat on my ass and have it handed to me :/

[s]I wish video games had a way of informing the player about gameplay mechanics.[/s]

They used to...

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 06:02 (3526 days ago) @ Monochron

...before they got rid of game manuals. WHY!

They used to...

by Monochron, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 07:25 (3526 days ago) @ rliebherr

...before they got rid of game manuals. WHY!

Ha yeah. Honestly though, training missions or even characters who explain game mechanics to you are a really good idea. I currently feel very lost about certain aspects of the game and I wish it was educating me a bit more.

agreed

by Decom @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:27 (3526 days ago) @ Monochron

This ammo thing would have been a perfect opportunity for your ghost to say something.

Likewise, the strategy guide has been helpful. It's free.

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:35 (3526 days ago) @ Monochron

I don't have the code on me (at work), but you can find it online. Plug that into Prima's website and you've got a free digital strategy guide for Destiny.

wow

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:35 (3526 days ago) @ rliebherr

I don't have the code on me (at work), but you can find it online. Plug that into Prima's website and you've got a free digital strategy guide for Destiny.

so someone screwed up and didn't make the codes one-time-use. I imagine someone's head will roll for that.

Is it also true for Hard mode?

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 05:13 (3527 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

- No text -

In the Beta it was

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 07:18 (3526 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

I remember being stuck on Rixis on Hard while still level 3 (heh, silly Zack) and sometimes noticing my primary and special ammo would pop back, allowing me to kill a single extra enemy before hiding out again.

How utterly stupid.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 07:43 (3526 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

A post on reddit has pointed out that when you completely run out of ammo, you can simply sit back and wait for 30 secs until the game automatically resupplies you.

Honestly, this seems a bit cheap and lame to me.

The ONLY reason that mechanic would need to exist is if your enemies are bullet sponges.

Oh...wait.

The other reason would be if you are tackling missions like that alone, which this game does not really encourage, though it is possible.

I never noticed this in the beta. When I ran out of ammo against the tank on my own, I assumed it was now time to use my fists until I got more. And you know what? I was OK with that. I just assumed it was my penance to endure for choosing to play a mission on hard that I wasn't really ranked for yet.

I really, truly wish games these days would just.stop.hand.holding.and.let.players.fail.time.to.time.

What are they worried about? People getting frustrated that they didn't succeed the first try, lost, got mad, and quit their game forever? Why pander to wimps?

I can't stand when there is no challenge to succeed, no consequence* for failure.

Consequence does not have to always equal punishment, either.

How utterly stupid.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 08:00 (3526 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Meh. I don't see this that much different than suiciding while playing Halo coop to get more ammo and grenades. Or having one player hang back while the other runs in and tries to get a kill or two before dying. And I prefer that in single player over the old method of backtracking for 2 minutes to pick up ammo packs.

How utterly stupid.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 08:23 (3526 days ago) @ bluerunner

Meh. I don't see this that much different than suiciding while playing Halo coop to get more ammo and grenades. Or having one player hang back while the other runs in and tries to get a kill or two before dying. And I prefer that in single player over the old method of backtracking for 2 minutes to pick up ammo packs.

Disagree.

In Halo (excluding 4 since you're always looking for ammo there haha) CE on the occasion I ran out of ammo I was forced to pick up a new weapon and use that, or rely on one until I found more. That is good for a couple of reasons, because it forces you to try more of the sandbox. It also adds to the narrative (in my mind, it did at least) that "I'm the Chief. I'm out of ammo. I need to improvise. Plasma Pistol you say? Why not? I'm the goddamned Chief!" I can specifically remember occasion fighting the flood where I ran out of shotgun ammo, had to use a pistol and had my back against the wall. It was exhilarating, especially when I'd survive the encounter.

Destiny may be about guns guns and more guns, but it doesn't encourage you to swap them quite in the same way.

-----------------------

That said, I think its different when you play co-op. Maybe it's just me, but I never get that feeling that what I am doing is serious when I'm playing with friends or randoms. This is usually because some of that immersion is lost as you chat with your buds- but even when you try to play more seriously, it's just not the same.

Also, what you said above is not any different in Destiny. You just keep throwing your body at sepiks prime and wait for your fire team to revive you or wait 30 seconds to respawn if they can't get you, no penalty.

It's not that the gameplay isn't fun- it is. It's just that my actions have no meaning. They have no impact. I can ground-hog day again and again and again and eventually I'll prevail through time, not ability.

How utterly stupid.

by Monochron, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 10:05 (3526 days ago) @ bluerunner

Meh. I don't see this that much different than suiciding while playing Halo coop to get more ammo and grenades.

The difference is being set back half an hour of gameplay in a darkness zone :/

How utterly stupid.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 10:15 (3526 days ago) @ bluerunner

Meh. I don't see this that much different than suiciding while playing Halo coop to get more ammo and grenades.

Well, when you revive only your primary gets more ammo. This refills special / heavy. Heavy ammo is always precious.

In some sense, this makes the armor that lets you cary more primary ammo a hindrance :-p

Problem?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 10:48 (3526 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

This game mechanic saved my ass on Venus when I was trapped by Vex Minotaur-sz on Hard mode spamming their shots, standing on the only place where I could get more ammo.

Those suckers hit hard.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread