Hand Canons are good now (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:38 (3524 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:11

Woah.

I picked up a good hand canon, and if you change it up a little and take your shots carefully, it's REALLY good. Like, one hit on Cabal good. The phalanxes are 2 hit (one on the hand, one on the head).

Try one if you haven't already. The hunter also has some sweet abilities in the gunslinger tree which make them even better (Chain of Woe, Gunslinger's trance)

There's a lot of subtlety here.

Hand Canons are good now

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:44 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Agreed (surprisingly!). Once you hit about level 15, you can start to see the subtle synergies between the skills, stats, and weapon selection that hlep you mold your build. I'm 18, should be 20 tonight, and am looking forward to tweaking my Hunter ad nausea.

Agreed!

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:44 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yep!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:48 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I tried going handcannon in the beta, and it was kind of cool, but felt a little underpowered.

Handcannon in the final game is great, a capable and very distinct primary type. The impact is really felt; I was using handcannon when Shadow and I joined each other yesterday, and he commented on it. It was also really obvious when I wasn't landing headshots, which he also commented on...

Yep!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:12 (3524 days ago) @ uberfoop

I tried going handcannon in the beta, and it was kind of cool, but felt a little underpowered.

Handcannon in the final game is great, a capable and very distinct primary type. The impact is really felt; I was using handcannon when Shadow and I joined each other yesterday, and he commented on it. It was also really obvious when I wasn't landing headshots, which he also commented on...

If the enemy is shielded, it doesn't matter where you hit them. The handcannon seems a close second only to the fusion rifle in dropping shields (other than heavy weapons). The Vex minotaurs just DROP when you have a handcannon.

Hand Canons are good now

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:36 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As a handgun enthusiast, I knew I wanted to use them from the moment I saw them. As a primarily hunter class player, it's perfect. Gunslinger feels like it was built solely for handcannons.

For me, the handcannons might be the most satisfying weapons I've used in any game. I'm still trying to pinpoint exactly why. I never equate shooting in video games and real life because they are worlds apart, but I have felt small things cross over that haven't before. I've caught myself regulating my breathing when making critical shots. I've also noticed that when I get in a groove and I am dropping enemies with headshots quickly, I get a similar zen feeling as I do when I'm popping targets at the range or in the backyard. That doesn't normally happen to me when playing games. I'm not sure why Destiny's handcannons trigger that, but I like it.

Hand Canons are good now

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:20 (3524 days ago) @ bluerunner

I get a similar zen feeling as I do when I'm popping targets at the range or in the >backyard. That doesn't normally happen to me when playing games. I'm not sure why >Destiny's handcannons trigger that, but I like it.

"Take that, Bones!"

Hand Canons are good now

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:27 (3524 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I get a similar zen feeling as I do when I'm popping targets at the range or in the >backyard. That doesn't normally happen to me when playing games. I'm not sure why >Destiny's handcannons trigger that, but I like it.

"Take that, Bones!"

Shooting Bones in the face was nirvana.

Hand Canons are good now

by Jester GS, Earth, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:36 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mariachi and I were playing and he went hand cannon from the start, while I was rolling with a scout rifle. He killed so many before me that I tried it out and loved it. However, I see them as a bit overpowered now. I fear they will be nerfed in a future update, but I really hope not.

Hand Canons are good now

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:18 (3524 days ago) @ Jester GS

However, I see them as a bit overpowered now. I fear they will be nerfed in a future update, but I really hope not.

I don't really think they are. Yes, they pack a whollop now they didn't before, but they take longer to reload and have smaller mags, so there's that trade-off. Definitely far more satisfying than they were in the Beta.

Hand Canons are good now

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:08 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have to admit, while I avoided Hand Canons like the plague in the beta, the set up for Hand cannons now are slowly growing on me. A good backup plan.

Hand Canons are good now

by Monochron, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 06:21 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Feels like they aren't a good option in the Crucible though. I'm not sure if I need more practice with it, or its slow rate of fire hampers it.

Hand Canons are good now

by Yapok @, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 06:29 (3523 days ago) @ Monochron

Ive had some decent luck with them in the crucible. They require good aim, and its very satisfying when you manage headshots with it. The high impact drops them really quickly if you get good shots off.

Hand Canons are good now

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:32 (3523 days ago) @ Monochron

I think it's the rate of fire (at least for me). I also have a bit harder time getting headshots with the hand cannon than I do with the different rifles.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread