Amazon preorder bonus (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:43 (3524 days ago)

I'm confused: Amazon preorder was supposed to include a bunch of Vanguard weapons. When I check in with the Quartermaster, I see the weapons, but it looks like I still have to purchase them with Glimmer. Am I missing something or is this accurate? (Yes, I redeemed the code already)

Thanks!

Amazon preorder bonus

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:55 (3524 days ago) @ Oholiab

The preorder bonus was early access to the Vanguard Armory, which is found near the Shipwright. You still have to purchase the weapons from the Vanguard Armory. It was not specific weapons.

Amazon preorder bonus

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:00 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

The preorder bonus was early access to the Vanguard Armory, which is found near the Shipwright. You still have to purchase the weapons from the Vanguard Armory. It was not specific weapons.

It confused me as well, especially since I apparently redeemed the code while I was in Destiny, and so the shop option didn't show up until I took a break, shut down, and came back.

The weapons level up with you though, and they're decently priced so they continue to be a nice option as far as I've played.

(Though, to be honest folks, I still don't know what kinetic, arc, solar damage is, so I'm no expert... But I'm looking forward to learning!)

Amazon preorder bonus

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:28 (3524 days ago) @ Leviathan

(Though, to be honest folks, I still don't know what kinetic, arc, solar damage is, so I'm no expert... But I'm looking forward to learning!)

I'm in the same boat. I need a cheat sheet about what each do and which enemies are especially vulnerable, resistant, or immune to each type.

Amazon preorder bonus

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:32 (3524 days ago) @ Oholiab

I think damage type is only relevant to enemies with shields. So, the Hive Knight with an orange aura around it is weak against Solar dmg. The Fallen Captain with a blue aura is weak against Arc damage, etc. Datto has a video about it on YouTube, if you'd like detail.

Amazon preorder bonus

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:33 (3524 days ago) @ Oholiab

I'm in the same boat. I need a cheat sheet about what each do and which enemies are especially vulnerable, resistant, or immune to each type.

It reminds me of my old Final Fantasy days. I was young and stupid (an aspect which has likely not changed) and I know it took me months to just begin to understand the equipment, magic, and skill systems.

Amazon preorder bonus

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:43 (3524 days ago) @ Leviathan

It reminds me of my old Final Fantasy days. I was young and stupid (an aspect which has likely not changed) and I know it took me months to just begin to understand the equipment, magic, and skill systems.

Is there seriously not a manual that explains any of this included in the box? This was a huge issue in the Beta, so much needed explaining, and there just wasn't anything, anywhere, that told you what was what. Especially when it came to the Crucible. There will be no small amount of irk on my part if I'll end up having to resort to scouring the Internet just to figure out the basics.

Get your irk ready...

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:50 (3524 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Reddit and Wikis have been pretty helpful. I went digital, no book or link to a manual whatsoever.

Get your irk ready...

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:02 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

I miss having a manual. Even the physical copy doesn't have one!

Get your irk ready...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:20 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

Reddit and Wikis have been pretty helpful. I went digital, no book or link to a manual whatsoever.

You know, I hate the trend of "going green" by gutting the contents of a game case. Especially when your game is something like Destiny. Yeah, a lot of it you can pick up as you play, but it'd be nice if I could READ ABOUT IT so I'd know what was going on BEFORE I started playing. That way I can PLAY and not be CONFUSED.

They could explain things like weapon stats and the Crucible and how weapon stats work in the world as opposed to the Crucible. They could explain how loot works, why special gold chests are laying around, why there are different types of chests, how the inventory works, how the vault and merchants work. How bounties, Vanguard/Cryptarch marks/ranks/whatever, and the variety of reputations and currencies work. Maybe what the point of the Grimoire is and why so many dead Ghosts are lying around. They could explain the different types of weapons and grenades when one might want to use one over another, the different Supers, the trio of elements, where they came from, why they're useful, and how to know when to use what. They could explain leveling and choosing skills, Light and it's effect on your level, the ways you can synergize everything. They could even explain the different game modes and factions and why I might care about any of them. They could even explain the three classes and races in detail so I can decide what I want to be before I make a character.

Yes, a lot of this I either already know, have a good idea how it works, or can easily find out by googling. That isn't the point. The point is to have this wealth of knowledge, this tome of basic mechanics and systems, at my finger tips, instantly, when I open the box, to confirm and/or reaffirm what I know, and explain what I don't, straight from the mouth of the developer. Not Xx_SuP3rS|\|yP3R420BLAYZE_xX on the Internet.

At the very least, publish a compendium of knowledge on the game's website. Make a pdf and have it publicly available so I can be a horrible person and kill a tree printing it out. Hell, utilize the APP FOR YOUR GAME to deliver it!

Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And Dumb. And Stupid. And dumb and stupid and dumb.

Ugh.

Get your irk ready...

by Monochron, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:40 (3524 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

If the game is going to refuse to explain it, then information needs to be provided in something included in purchase. End of story.

Agreed

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:24 (3524 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

Get your irk ready...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:37 (3524 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I would have absolutely loved a manual (was planning on reading it during the install) but I also sincerely enjoy getting lost and slowly learning the deep intricacies of the game on my own without help as time goes on, so I don't mind in terms of the actual gameplay. I just like reading real books and getting more chances for little lore details or neat artwork. Perhaps the limited edition bonus books would have fulfilled that desire. Game manuals used to be the perfect toilet-reading materials back in the Golden Age...

Get your irk ready...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:23 (3524 days ago) @ Leviathan

I would have absolutely loved a manual (was planning on reading it during the install) but I also sincerely enjoy getting lost and slowly learning the deep intricacies of the game on my own without help as time goes on, so I don't mind in terms of the actual gameplay. I just like reading real books and getting more chances for little lore details or neat artwork. Perhaps the limited edition bonus books would have fulfilled that desire. Game manuals used to be the perfect toilet-reading materials back in the Golden Age...

That bit I bolded? That has traditionally been my time killer while I wait for a game to install. Hell it still is for games I haven't played in a really long time (like Fallout 3, which I just picked up for the first time in about four years).

Like you, I don't mind occasionally getting lost and having to figure things out. It's part of the fun. But only if those things are, like you said, the intricacies. To use a quick Halo example: The weak spots on the Ghost and Wraith, and how to steal an occupied Wraith without causing undue damage. That's not in any manual, you just figure it out, and it's fun when you do.

The basics of the game and the world, however, should be given to me up front. It's my job to figure out how to take those building blocks and use them to the fullest extent possible. The fact that whomever thought shipping Destiny without a guide that explains anything was a good idea actually angers me. In game tutorials for a game of this complexity are insufficient. Unless things have changed from the beta, it tells you how to move, shoot, level up, and shop. That's it. For anything else I have to consult a third party. I should never have to consult a third party to figure out how to play your game.

Get your irk ready...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 20:37 (3524 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 20:47

You know, I hate the trend of "going green" by gutting the contents of a game case. Especially when your game is something like Destiny. Yeah, a lot of it you can pick up as you play, but it'd be nice if I could READ ABOUT IT so I'd know what was going on BEFORE I started playing. That way I can PLAY and not be CONFUSED.

They could explain things like weapon stats and the Crucible and how weapon stats work in the world as opposed to the Crucible. They could explain how loot works, why special gold chests are laying around, why there are different types of chests, how the inventory works, how the vault and merchants work. How bounties, Vanguard/Cryptarch marks/ranks/whatever, and the variety of reputations and currencies work. Maybe what the point of the Grimoire is and why so many dead Ghosts are lying around. They could explain the different types of weapons and grenades when one might want to use one over another, the different Supers, the trio of elements, where they came from, why they're useful, and how to know when to use what. They could explain leveling and choosing skills, Light and it's effect on your level, the ways you can synergize everything. They could even explain the different game modes and factions and why I might care about any of them. They could even explain the three classes and races in detail so I can decide what I want to be before I make a character.

Yes, a lot of this I either already know, have a good idea how it works, or can easily find out by googling. That isn't the point. The point is to have this wealth of knowledge, this tome of basic mechanics and systems, at my finger tips, instantly, when I open the box, to confirm and/or reaffirm what I know, and explain what I don't, straight from the mouth of the developer. Not Xx_SuP3rS|\|yP3R420BLAYZE_xX on the Internet.

I agree with you up to here:

At the very least, publish a compendium of knowledge on the game's website. Make a pdf and have it publicly available so I can be a horrible person and kill a tree printing it out. Hell, utilize the APP FOR YOUR GAME to deliver it!

Fuck that, it goes with the game, this is how it works, this is how it's worked for almost 40 years. Maybe if it was included within the game-- not on a web page you have to find, not behind a URL that's listed even, right in the game-- that might be OK. This is not OK. This isn't some glorified arcade game, it's huge. People are telling me games don't come with manuals now-- the first game I got new with no manual was Halo 4, and there was a stink raised about that; I don't know if it's statistically true, but I don't accept it as something to just be-- and frankly I don't care if no one reads them, I read them.

Get your irk ready...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 21:37 (3523 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Fuck that, it goes with the game, this is how it works, this is how it's worked for almost 40 years. Maybe if it was included within the game-- not on a web page you have to find, not behind a URL that's listed even, right in the game-- that might be OK. This is not OK. This isn't some glorified arcade game, it's huge. People are telling me games don't come with manuals now-- the first game I got new with no manual was Halo 4, and there was a stink raised about that; I don't know if it's statistically true, but I don't accept it as something to just be-- and frankly I don't care if no one reads them, I read them.

I don't disagree. But if someone who makes the decisions is gonna be all "NOPE." about delivering a quality manual that explains the game I just spent money on, based solely on the fact that "It isn't environmentally friendly to print, and it adds weight to every box, making it not environmentally friendly to ship!" then those are the alternatives, and I can't think of any excuse they haven't been used.

Especially in Destiny's case. Bungie has made a huge deal out of their companion app, and rightfully so, it's a fantastic thing to have access to whether you're playing or not. The fact there isn't anything in it resembling a manual when the game doesn't ship with one is an absurd omission. If there was ever a place for it that wasn't tucked inside the case, it's in that app. It isn't like it's without precedent either. GTA V has both a companion app and a separate manual app, because what came inside the case didn't adequately cover everything they wanted to tell the player.

The fact there isn't a manual in the box is stupid, and bad, and dumb. The fact there isn't a manual available at all is even worse. Especially when there is such a fantastic alternative delivery method at their disposal.

Get your irk ready...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 09:17 (3520 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I don't disagree. But if someone who makes the decisions is gonna be all "NOPE." about delivering a quality manual that explains the game I just spent money on, based solely on the fact that "It isn't environmentally friendly to print, and it adds weight to every box, making it not environmentally friendly to ship!" then those are the alternatives, and I can't think of any excuse they haven't been used.

Except I can just about guarantee it's way, way more about cost than the environment.

Especially in Destiny's case. Bungie has made a huge deal out of their companion app, and rightfully so, it's a fantastic thing to have access to whether you're playing or not. The fact there isn't anything in it resembling a manual when the game doesn't ship with one is an absurd omission.

They have a lot of the story and apparently all of the stats on there, so yeah, that would be a place to put it....

If there was ever a place for it that wasn't tucked inside the case, it's in that app.

It belongs in the actual game way, way more than it belongs in a website, let alone something you have to go grab a smartphone for.

It isn't like it's without precedent either. GTA V has both a companion app and a separate manual app, because what came inside the case didn't adequately cover everything they wanted to tell the player.

The fact there isn't a manual in the box is stupid, and bad, and dumb. The fact there isn't a manual available at all is even worse. Especially when there is such a fantastic alternative delivery method at their disposal.

I don't think I'd call it fantastic, but I agree with all the rest.

Amazon preorder bonus

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:26 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

Understood. Thanks for the clarification!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread