How to make Strike Bosses 10x better (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:51 (3524 days ago)

1. Each boss should have 12-15 potential forms /attacks. As it is now, they all have one and just do the same thing all fight.
2. Divide the boss' life bar into 4 segments.
3. When a segment is depleted, the boss switches forms / attacks.
4. The four forms / attacks per fight should be randomly chosen from the pool of 12-15

This would not only alleviate the tedium of individual fights, but this would also make replaying strikes much better. You might face 4 forms / attacks you haven;t seen before, so it'd be like a new fight. You might get 4 easy forms and have a quick victory, or you might get 4 hard ones and have a wicked challenge.

The tedium of strike bosses needs to be dealt with in future expansions. This would be a great way to do it while still having long fights, and as a bonus make replaying better.

How to make Strike Bosses 10x better

by car15, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:56 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not a big fan of health bar segmenting, but I agree that boss move sets should be more varied. I'd prefer that they simply react dynamically to player input.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:57 (3524 days ago) @ car15

I'm not a big fan of health bar segmenting, but I agree that boss move sets should be more varied. I'd prefer that they simply react dynamically to player input.

I think segmenting would be appropriate, so you and your team have to plan / strategize. If it just switches willy nilly, then that aspect is sort of taken away.

by car15, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:01 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Agree to disagree. I prefer having to adapt tactics on-the-fly over strategizing based on a predictable pattern. An enemy's move set could be triggered by certain player actions, though. For example, using a super could cause a boss to target you specifically for a brief period.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:04 (3524 days ago) @ car15

Agree to disagree. I prefer having to adapt tactics on-the-fly over strategizing based on a predictable pattern. An enemy's move set could be triggered by certain player actions, though. For example, using a super could cause a boss to target you specifically for a brief period.

That's not a bad idea regarding the supers. They don't do much damage to bosses, so secondary uses would be great!

I'd agree with you about tactics, but I don't think that was the direction Bungie wanted to go, so the suggestion was intended to be something that could be worked into their vision of the game.

^^vv<><>BA

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:56 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Agreed--insta-win

by Thiassi, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:01 (3523 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

- No text -

I Have to Agree (*Minor boss spoilers*)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 15:40 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Up front: I'm a level 19 and have not yet played on Mars at all.

All bosses I've played up to now have essentially followed the pattern of shoot, move and, if you get too close, stomp/crush. That's it. The most varied one was probably Sepiks Prime, simply because he throws a teleport in there. Sure, the Vex boss in the strike on Venus has a shield screen, but all that does is slowly rotate around it; it doesn't intelligently use it to defend itself at all - it's just there.

I fear that on harder difficulties the only challenge will be not dying by doing something rash simply because you were trying to change up the fight to make up for the lack of boss variety. I actually have way more fun in killing the adds that occasionally pop up than the bosses themselves, especially now that I've unlocked Blade Dancer (That super is amazing btw!).

I hope something can be done in the future to give boss fights a real reason to exist.

EDIT: This is one of the very few critiques I have - I am loving this game and playing with my mates has made it addictive. My sleep hours have taken a big hit.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 17:55 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. Each boss should have 12-15 potential forms /attacks. As it is now, they all have one and just do the same thing all fight.
4. The four forms / attacks per fight should be randomly chosen from the pool of 12-15

This would not only alleviate the tedium of individual fights, but this would also make replaying strikes much better. You might face 4 forms / attacks you haven;t seen before, so it'd be like a new fight. You might get 4 easy forms and have a quick victory, or you might get 4 hard ones and have a wicked challenge.

The tedium of strike bosses needs to be dealt with in future expansions. This would be a great way to do it while still having long fights, and as a bonus make replaying better.

I really don't like that idea, at least how I interpret it--it sounds immersion breaking and artificial. I would rather the bosses have a larger pool of behavior and attacks that they could use at any given time during the battle. Sure, they can get more aggressive towards the end or something, but 4x 25% forms/attacks sounds really old school 3D adventure game.

by NotTheVacuum, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 05:09 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

I think it's actually more realistic. The way Cody describes it is specific, but let's abstract it somewhat: The Boss will start out attacking you a certain way, but if you hurt him enough, he'll get a little more aggressive (or conservative) and try a different approach. If that doesn't succeed, maybe he'll get desperate (or super pissed off angry aggressive) and go to his fail-safe. Maybe if he senses utter doom, he'll try one last thing at great personal cost - it'll kill him too, but take you with him.

Each of those stages could have a small pool of attacks that the boss will randomly attempt; they'll fit generally within the theme of how aggressive/conservative the boss is playing, but you won't know exactly which one until he does it. Contrast that to static boss design, where he's basically a one-note character with seemingly very little wit. This may be passable for fighting your generic, giant ogre-like thing, but it gets boring.

by DerekT07, Tennessee, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 20:20 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This would not only alleviate the tedium of individual fights, but this would also make replaying strikes much better. You might face 4 forms / attacks you haven't seen before, so it'd be like a new fight. You might get 4 easy forms and have a quick victory, or you might get 4 hard ones and have a wicked challenge.

This is a very interesting concept. I like the idea, but randomness tends to put me off from games a lot of the time. I understand why you make that point though, because that would very effectively increase replayability. If it was implemented well, with very clear cues to show the player what forms / attacks the boss would have, it could be quite interesting and fun. I'd love to see this implemented in a game so I could try it out for myself. I do wonder how feasible it is for development though. To be fair, I have absolutely no idea what that sort of thing takes in game development. :)

by Avateur @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 20:45 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ever play Majora's Mask? The final battle involves some separate forms. Just when you think you've got this guy beat, something even crazier happens, and he gets even harder.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 06:24 (3523 days ago) @ Avateur

Ever play Majora's Mask? The final battle involves some separate forms. Just when you think you've got this guy beat, something even crazier happens, and he gets even harder.

Yeah Metroid\Metorid Prime has a lot of that too.

Back when "This isn't even my final form" used to be more than just a meme.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:12 (3523 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Back when "This isn't even my final form" used to be more than just a meme.

Man, how many times have we seen that in the BWU, only to have them not apply it to their bosses xD

Here's some more ideas to make bosses more interesting

by Dan de Board @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:04 (3521 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just to be clear, I use the term adds in this post. Adds are extra enemies that appear during the boss fight that aren't the boss character. I've also only done three of the strikes, hoping to change that soon.

Sepiks Prime
This fight focuses on controlling adds so Sepiks doesn't go into a wild rage and destroy the players.
-Lower health a lot
-Make adds spawn on a timer (45 second to one minute)
-Since in the lore Sepiks Prime is supposed to be able to absorb souls, make him able to kill the adds that spawn to regain health and get improved attack, defense and speed for a short time
-Can chase the player around a little bit, since his close range attack does a lot of damage

Unchained Hive Ogre
The fight would focus on players managing their damage so that the boss doesn't always attack them and it constantly has to move about the room. Berserk mode is when things get hectic.
-A lot less adds
-Separate fight into three phases
1. Ranged phase - Slow moving, primarily uses eye blast, telegraphs eye blast a lot more but it does more damage, getting close causes the AoE ground slam
2. Melee phase - Starts when 50% health remaining, moves faster, targets player that did the most damage to it during the last phase, switches targets to player that did the most damage during last attack, uses eye blast on players who are out of reach
3. Berserk phase - Starts when 10% health remaining, moves very fast, switches between eye blast and melee targeting, bigger ground slam

Hydra Boss
This fight focuses on cover, and moving from cover and avoiding that giant AoE. More adds makes this fight more difficult because they might push you out of good cover into open terrain.
-Less cover
-Cover occasionally disappears into that fulcrum state
-More adds
-Every minute and/or quarter of health down, goes into an impenetrable shield and causes a large AoE attack that instakills, players must find cover in order to avoid the damage

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread