Mike Bithel (Thomas was alone) breaks down Destiny UI (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 06:54 (3523 days ago)

Really good break down here if you are into game/UI/UX design.

http://mikebithell.tumblr.com/post/97214168242/what-to-steal-from-destinys-ui

some smart things,

Cursor - I’ve mentioned the cursor above, but yeah.. cursor on a console game is a brave move. The team at bungie did some smart things to make it work well though:
*Slow down on hover: when over objects player may want to click, they slow it down ever so slightly

large ‘click’ area.. there’s a reason that cursor is not a pointer, but a large circle: It makes chances of accidentally missing much lower. On button items next to each other, my guess is that it calculates which button center the center of that circle is nearest to.. so it’s still a pixel cursor, just with a circle of autoaim around it. Very clever way to make a cursor work on a console.
Allowing diagonal movement allows for non grid layouts. Gaps are hard to communicate on menus, so everything tends to go very up down column row table. Having freedom of movement allows for interfaces with more human friendly layouts, relying on grids only for aesthetic and informational purposes, over the limitations of a dpad.

Try clicking the L1 R1 page heading scroll at the top with the cursor. You can’t, the cursor is locked below that horizontal bar. Instantly makes it clear that the cursor can’t interact. Tiny bit of polish which further cleans up interaction

Colour bar flashes on in game UI - white is standard ammo, green is secondary, purple is heavy, yellow is super charge. That’s a pretty common way to do visual language in a game.. colour coding for the win. One aspect that is cute in Destiny is that events are signposted in the UI by big block colours flashing over the entire lower interface. This uses peripheral vision to help the player stay on top of ‘things happening’ with multiple timers and ammos. More complex information is conveyed if the player takes their eye off the reticule (recharge bars, ammo count etc).. but these big colour flashes are a clever way to yell at the player without being too noisy.

And one point that will probably be controversial here,

Object / character / planet metaphor simplicity - this isn’t a new idea, but I thought Destiny did it well enough to point out: everything is tied to a logical realworld metaphor, usually an object. Messages received must be picked up from the postmaster on Tower, bounties are carried in the inventory, not held as sub objectives. Part of this is to create busy work and force regular returns to the social hub, sure, but it goes a long way to simplifying and better communicating interactions. We understand the idea of collecting a slip of paper and taking it to a man, we understand ‘going to a specific place on the moon’ better than ‘going to the moon and selecting mission 4’.. this gives the game a sense of bedded reality, and breaks understanding into little chunks, preventing the player from feeling overwhelmed.

Anywho, I felt like the Beta (haven't gotten my mitts on the final yet) did have some visual clarity/ teaching issues, but I'll reserve comment till I can play the final build.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread