I understand the story (and so can you!) (Destiny)

by Faeyrinn ⌂, Pollnivneach, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:17 (3523 days ago)

Be weary. The following actually contains no spoilers, but is still sensitive information. I'd advise you to read the post if you're disgruntled with the story, but if you're finished and happy with the base story you can read it too.

I think I understand the story and why it is the way it is.

You (obviously) play from the perspective of your Guardian. That's the perspective and narrative style of the story. Your Guardian has been dead for, y'know, centuries. At least 500 years, wasn't it? More? They're out of the loop. They really know only two things.

1. Jack

2. Shit

All they actually know is that magic revived them, there's a city that worships a big floating ball, and they've been forced into some deep shit.

So, playing the part of an almost clueless long dead individual from a limited first person narrative stand point, I heavily think you're supposed to be very out of the loop. Though this game is meant to be social (chat NEEDS to be fixed), the narrative design is clearly that of a single player type of game. I think if it were otherwise, cutscenes would feature fireteam members, but it's just you.

Even the off-game Grimoire cards are not an unearned exposition dump. They may be a dump if you read them all at once, but if you use a companion app and read a card as you earn it, it's very bite size. While the Grimoire sheds a good deal more light on the lore, it's still from a limited first person perspective for the most part. You have to earn these cards, be it by merely setting foot somewhere, or by a gruesome and painful skin of your teeth victory over a 50 foot tall Vex. Even the cards about the story are mostly quotes to your character.

Lastly, as mostly an anecdote though worth to mention; facial expressions. In the few cutscenes we get, our character has a very apprehensive and almost confused face, especially when talking to The Speaker or going to The Reef (My Awoken look scared and I just wanted to hug her but then I realize I'm my own character so I just killed more shit. :D. )

So now. It is my firm belief Destiny has a huge world of lore, and we've just only scraped the surface by finishing the base game story modes. There will be more pure story modes, perhaps in expansions, perhaps in free updates. They could even simply not be visible right now.

But. We're going to have to do it ourselves, and no doubt we'll be left with more questions than answers again, because this is a first person limited narrative.)

It reminds me of Marathon in a way. Marathon was almost as first person limited as you can get, story only really revealed through terminals. Though truly not as elaborate as later games, for that time period Marathon's story was way better than other FPSs at that time. Doom only had a paragraph after every...chapter? You maybe only get four paragraphs in the game explaining what was happening. Marathon? You could spend half your time in the level reading the terminals if you weren't a terribly quick reader.

And classic Bungie fans will see this connection and appreciate it. There was no narrator holding your hand and telling you what to think in Marathon, and there's no narrator doing that in Destiny. YOU are your own narrator. You could even call the Grimoire your own super terminal.

I'm just gonna say I don't trust the Traveler

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:30 (3523 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

I think its influence corrupts species somehow. I think each army of the Darkness once had its own traveler induced golden age.

Maybe I'm scarred from trusting spherical objects cause of Halo, but as far as I'm concerned the Traveler is a harbinger of doom.

I'm just gonna say I don't trust the Traveler *Spoilers*

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 12:28 (3522 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

This could go either way. Our Exo, non-Guardian buddy seems to be from the Traveler, based on her gun having material that doesn't exist in it, and the teleport she does at the end seems to be aimed at it, though I'm not sure if that's supposed to mean this or not. Maybe even the Little Light nickname she uses.

As far as the enemy factions being directly connected to it, I'm not sure. We see the Hive trying to drain it's energy at the very least. The Fallen almost seem like bandits, which maybe know to follow the Traveler/Darkness to find... something? The Kabal feel like an unconnected empire to some degree. Ghost seems to imply they're looking for valuable information or something, and they have a reputation of wrecking shit on a system-wide scale.

The Vex are who I'm not sure about, in game we got very little information on them, just confirmation of the original Bungie mention that they're time-traveling machines, though that biological brain thing certainly stood out to me. Plus the Black Garden kind of seemed it was way in the future based on the mossy Vex in it, though with Mars' ruins being BILLIONS of years old I guess it really could be at any point in time.

My thoughts on the Traveler go two ways. Either it is a herald of sorts for the darkness and I just don't understand the motive yet, or it or multiple Travelers go system to system to sort of uplift society. What I don't get with option 2 is why it would so greatly improve a system, seemingly to make them more advanced, and not warn them of the coming danger. The opening set in present day seems to show it was the Traveler who terraformed Mars, with rain failing on the astronauts.

I guess a lot will come down to what's inside the Traveler. Is it a big computer? A ship? A city? A traveling Shield World? I think that's why our non-Guardian was an Exo. Any explanation would work with a synthetic person like her. I'm under the impression that Exos are human made AI with bodies, not a product of the Traveler, but they CAN use the Light, so maybe they had more Traveler influence in there creation than just the general push on humanity. But if she is from it, and the Travler isn't evil, why didn't it use Exos to communicate a warning?

I'm just gonna say I don't trust the Traveler *Spoilers*

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 12:43 (3522 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

The Vex are who I'm not sure about, in game we got very little information on them, just confirmation of the original Bungie mention that they're time-traveling machines, though that biological brain thing certainly stood out to me.

Tall citadel with a chunky abstract design.

Ancient ruins in a very classic Bungie style.

Robotish with biological brains.

I think Destiny's Venus has a L'howon influence, and I think the Vex have some S'pht blood in their veins, although the similarities might not go deep.

I understand the story (and so can you!)

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:02 (3523 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

I agree with this.

I think that we have barely touched on the story so far and I see it expanding vastly with more installments, downloads and etc....

Do I think that they should have gone about it differently..yes. Is it a bit of a cluster..yes.

Also yes...the traveler is going to end up being a giant floating ball of evilness.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:08 (3523 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

I think traveller is totally trustworthy. I don't think we will see the traveller return though, I think it gave up it's power in the final moments and created the ghosts to give humanity the ability to harness that power. Also, all guardians seem to be revived dead - does that mean that only people who were alive around the time that the traveller was killed are able to carry the light?

Another aspect that effects story telling

by Earendil, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:25 (3523 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

Unlike Marathon and Halo, you and your guardian are not the protagonist in the universe. There are other guardians, who hold equal (or greater) weight in the universe. I imagine then that unlike Halo, you will never be in the center of an unfolding story, but instead taking on more minor bits on the outskirts. Those bits should still feel important to the character and story, but they can't possibly be universe changing. This is a vastly different constraint than most games deal with, where the player is the primary protagonist and the universe can tilt and shift based on player actions. The Destiny world can't use that same mechanism because the world needs to stay in sync for all players.

Not entirely true

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:29 (3523 days ago) @ Earendil

The world can change based on player actions, but they have to be changes that you can make easily visible only to the player that made the change. Take the golden chests as a simple example. I've already collected one, but when I go to the same location later it's no longer there for me. My friend however can see the chest so I can still lead them to the spot but it looks like they just walk up to empty ground while collecting the loot.

More true than you think!

by Faeyrinn ⌂, Pollnivneach, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 09:49 (3523 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

In a game like this, one needs to be aware of canon and game mechanic.

To work off your examples; it is canon that gold chests can be scattered through worlds. It's treasure. Post apocalyptic worlds have treasure to be found. However, it is game mechanic that loot chests don't sync between players. Bungie's design philosophy doesn't want someone to feel cheated because someone go to a loot piece quicker, but this doesn't fully represent canon.

For my own example...

The way I see it, it is canon that a Guardian and Ghost completed the events that happened within the 'campaign' of the game. You could call them the Guardian and Ghost. Obviously, not every single Guardian has done the same exact thing. Think of the Guardian as Master Chief, a predefined main character. It is game mechanic that everyone plays the same story, even though they have a unique character. Obviously it is impossible to have a unique campaign for every player.

However I think it'd be possible to have a world changing event in a story mission. Everyone would play it, but canonically The Guardian was responsible for it.

It's a little dense, but what else can you do with this kind of game?

More true than you think!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 10:31 (3522 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

Bungie is already dealing with big changes to individual players game worlds in the form of DLC content that opens new areas that are accessible from old areas. So they already have some mechanisms in place that allow them to do that. Why couldn't they do it in other areas? Of course, there is a limit to how big of a change you can make probably but it's certainly a possibility.

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 10:58 (3522 days ago) @ Faeyrinn

Okay, I don't actually have Destiny (and probably never will - not really my kind of game) but I would like to point out that maybe the reason the current story is so sparse is that Bungie wanted to leave a sandbox of sorts for the Destiny community to play around in and develop a flow, a trend, so that Bungie can then create more story based on what happens in the game itself. I'm not sure how exactly this would work, but I thought some of this was hinted at before release.

Vale,
Perseus

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread