Suggestion for Story People... (Destiny)

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 18:32 (3525 days ago)

... Read the Grimoire cards as soon as you get them. They tie in wonderfully with the story missions and help to enhance the importance of your actions.

In general, Grimoire cards are just so much gold. They might be one of my favorite parts of the experience. It's really too bad they aren't accessible in-game. Another mistake similar to the Halo 4 terminal issue. Taking the meat of the story away from the players.

Suggestion for Story People...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 18:57 (3525 days ago) @ Postmortem

Agreed. Im not far in, but I have a much better understanding of the relationship between The Fallen, Sepiks Prime, Servitors and Riksis thanks to the Grimoire.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 19:58 (3525 days ago) @ someotherguy

It seems weird that the meat of the story is on a separate website while the game is mostly just the action. Shouldn't they be together in some way?

by car15, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 21:01 (3524 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Yes, they absolutely should.

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 22:37 (3524 days ago) @ car15

What I'm going to do from now on is keep my phone next to me with the Destiny companion all ready, and just read it there whenever I unlock one. Tried it tonight on the last Mars missions, it felt like a much more complete story. You get to read about Vanguard responses to your actions and analysis of whatever you saw in each mission. It really does feel like an incomplete story without these, and I definitely won't be doing it any other way from now on.

It shouldn't be this way.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, September 12, 2014, 07:19 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

I can't even add the app on my phone because it is too old. I'm not upgrading my phone for a video game.

In Destiny it irritates me more than it did in halo 4, because you unlock them much more frequently than the terminals.

And it's all text based, FFS.

Again, why couldn't this be accessible in game?

I have no idea why I'm doing things or why I should care- until I see some of those cards.

GAH!

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, September 12, 2014, 08:21 (3524 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Well you can still look at them on bungie.net

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 12, 2014, 08:40 (3524 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I can't even add the app on my phone because it is too old. I'm not upgrading my phone for a video game.

In Destiny it irritates me more than it did in halo 4, because you unlock them much more frequently than the terminals.

Good thing they're just small chunks of text most can read on their phone, and not movies you have to exit the game to see.

And it's all text based, FFS.

Yay for text! Down with motion-comic-esque cutscenes!

Again, why couldn't this be accessible in game?

I have no idea why I'm doing things or why I should care- until I see some of those cards terminals.

Fixed that.

+1

by Monochron, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:48 (3524 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Monochron, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:32 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

You get to read about Vanguard responses to your actions and analysis of whatever you saw in each mission. It really does feel like an incomplete story without these, and I definitely won't be doing it any other way from now on.

I heard the new Quinten Tarentino movie is coming out soon. Apparently it is 2 hours of non-stop action, special effects, and blood; it gets really intense. If you want to know who the characters are, the reasons they are fighting each other, or what is happening from scene to scene, you can just bring your internet enabled device into the theater, download the "Movie Story Cards(tm)", search through them for relevant information, and read along during the movie!

• Don't know who that creepy guy following the main character is?! Read all about his motivations in the "'Creepy Guy' Movie Story Card(tm)".
  • Wondering what this sense of urgency is everyone is talking about?! Read about how the main character is in danger in the "'Why are we all gonna die?' Movie Story Card(tm)"
  • Confused as to how a sword could be so devestating to an army of people with guns?! "Movie Story Card(tm)" not yet released, buy our next movie for more!

Why is this kind of thing acceptable in video games today?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 12, 2014, 08:23 (3524 days ago) @ car15
edited by Kermit, Friday, September 12, 2014, 08:46

Not absolutely. I'm one of the most vigorous critics of the terminals in Halo 4, but my complaints about them not being in the game have to do with the fact that they are presented as actual terminals in the virtual world, and if you step up to them, and can interact with them, you should be able to view their content in that space as well. (I'm also not a fan of produced cut scenes presented as found objects and not looking like found objects in their execution, but that's a different issue.)

I'm a fan of text--I think that the different form activates different parts of our imagination, so I like the Grimoire cards in concept, although I've read only a handful at this point. Postmortem's post convinces me that I should read them sooner than later, but I won't interrupt gameplay to do so, and this ties in with my developing thoughts about Destiny.

The last few nights I finally got to play some extended sessions with friends, and my gosh, it's a different game. Solo the game is vaguely disappointing, but with friends magic happens. More stuff is clicking all the time, but the problem with always playing with friends is that it's harder for me to get my story fix. I find myself taking my headphones off during cutscenes and NPC dialogue because it's natural for people together to talk and unnatural for them to be silent. I've stopped myself from saying stuff while my ghost is talking. It takes concentration NOT to talk. So it seems like Bungie is building this story and world at least partly outside that space because the gamespace always should be a social space. We're already waiting on each other while we run Tower errands, and I don't want to read cool story info while people are talking in my ear. This wasn't an issue playing Marathon, and seldom an issue playing Halo.

Bungie has made many unconventional decisions with this game, and it might bite them--perhaps it already as, looking at metacritic (or Cody's hyperbole)--I worry about that only because it might affect their ambition moving forward. I suspect what they're aiming at something rich and long-lasting that will reward the hardcore, but will still be fun for the majority. Given that most FPS players don't even finish campaigns, maybe it's the right choice to have these cards outside the game. We story-oriented gamers may be the outliers.

I'm a long way from giving my verdict, but I guess my hope is that if this game seems less than what we're used to from a narrative point of view, it's because it's one piece in a large mosaic we've seen very little of. I do tend to be overly optimistic about Bungie's games, though, I will admit.

by Monochron, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:44 (3524 days ago) @ Kermit

I suspect what they're aiming at something rich and long-lasting that will reward the hardcore, but will still be fun for the majority. Given that most FPS players don't even finish campaigns, maybe it's the right choice to have these cards outside the game. We story-oriented gamers may be the outliers.

This is a good point. There is a big difference between producing art specifically for the masses and for the sake of art. I wouldn't ever say that one is objectively better than the other, people have to make money after all. But there is an interesting balance between making an artistically interesting, labor of love, game that makes good profits, and in making a record shattering profit explosion of a Call of Duty sequel. Both are undoubtedly very very enjoyable to play.

Just wish my iOS companion would work

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 12, 2014, 00:07 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

Checking it on the computer is not easy while playing.

The cards seem like a mixed bag

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Friday, September 12, 2014, 04:33 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

There seem to be some simplistic cards mixed in with interesting lore ones which is a mistake too, as my first impressions of the cards was quite a let down, until I looked through 4 or 5 cards.

Could be laid out better too [on iOS & Android].

by Earendil, Friday, September 12, 2014, 10:00 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

Maybe they should be accessible in game, but I don't think they should be accessible while during game play, and they certainly shouldn't only be accessible in during game play.

I realize this comparison won't jive with many, but take Marathon for example. Great story and lots of text, however the player was bound to a location within the game in order to read it. So you HAD to stop and read everything (breaks pace of game play), skip over it and never read it, or skip it and fight your way back to that terminal. Or do what a lot of people did, and wait for it to be compiled on a website and go read it there :)

Here is another way of looking at it:
Our character wakes up knowing nothing. It would be silly to expect the entire world to be explained to your character during missions. You would expect that a newly awoken guardian would get handed a set of "here's how the world is" cards in order to get a crash course. What I wish Bungie would also do though is have things like news papers or other reading material around the Tower. I'd love to go sit on the spire with a news paper :)

My personal style is to play hard, especially with friends, and then in my down time away from my console (because I'm married, I have to do that) I can read up on the story. My one gripe is that if you wanted to go read 10 cards in a row, you're going to spend almost as much time navigating between cards as you are reading them. Bungie.net is the best interface so far, but it's still tedious.

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Friday, September 12, 2014, 10:45 (3524 days ago) @ Earendil

The Codex worked really well in Mass Effect, in game. And that's basically what these Grimoire cards are.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:02 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

The Codex worked really well in Mass Effect, in game. And that's basically what these Grimoire cards are.

Mass Effect was a single-player game. You could take your time reading the Codex, and no one was waiting for you.

And why do you look like David?

by The BS Police, Friday, September 12, 2014, 13:58 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

Except a lot of that information was explained in-game during regular gameplay which made the codex merely an addition rather than something that was necessary to explain the story,

by The BS Police, Friday, September 12, 2014, 10:46 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

I find it a bit insulting that 343 Industries got tons of flack for pulling this with Halo 4's Terminal's and Bungie is receiving very little complaints for pulling the same thing.

Let's just face it, Bungie dropped the ball on storytelling with this game and imo it seems to be a common thread since Halo 3.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:00 (3524 days ago) @ The BS Police

I find it a bit insulting that 343 Industries got tons of flack for pulling this with Halo 4's Terminal's and Bungie is receiving very little complaints for pulling the same thing.

In my opinion it wasn't the same thing. And it's insulting how?

by Monochron, Friday, September 12, 2014, 11:47 (3524 days ago) @ Kermit

Because reviewers/people think that Bungie is too venerable of a studio to make a mistake like that. They are perfectly fine dicking all over 343 for doing it though.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 12, 2014, 12:05 (3524 days ago) @ Monochron

Because reviewers/people think that Bungie is too venerable of a studio to make a mistake like that. They are perfectly fine dicking all over 343 for doing it though.

Yeah, there might be bias there. I'd have to accept that they are comparable mistakes to really buy into that, though. 343 have said that it wasn't the plan to have the terminals outside the game. I haven't seen Bungie say that Grimoire cards were intended to be viewable inside the game. I think Bungie already tries our patience in the Tower, especially when you have indecisive teammates (like me!). My theory is they wanted to limit activity that couldn't be done together.

by Dax01, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:59 (3524 days ago) @ Postmortem

If that's the case then Bungie should've put them in the game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread