Wow, about to give up (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:03 (3524 days ago)

So leveling up your armor's defense also adds light. I need one more level of light to hit 26.

I'm looking at the materials required to level up some of my Leg / Exotic armor, and it's all rare shit.

God fucking dammit the grind just gets worse and worse. I literally did not even think it would be this bad, and I am seriously thinking about just giving up and saying fuck the raid.

A package full of Legendary armor fully leveled up waiting for me at special orders is all you can do right now Bungie to make me not hate this game.

Wow, about to give up

by Monochron, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:08 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A package full of Legendary armor fully leveled up waiting for me at special orders is all you can do right now Bungie to make me not hate this game.

Honestly, you know that is not going to happen. Yeah, you don't like the grind (nor will I), but that's kind of childish.

Wow, about to give up

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:14 (3524 days ago) @ Monochron

[image]

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:24 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So leveling up your armor's defense also adds light. I need one more level of light to hit 26.

I'm looking at the materials required to level up some of my Leg / Exotic armor, and it's all rare shit.

God fucking dammit the grind just gets worse and worse. I literally did not even think it would be this bad, and I am seriously thinking about just giving up and saying fuck the raid.

Is there even the slightest possibility that you and Avateur are being incredibly impatient?

I mean that respectfully, you're both cool dudes.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:25 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:35

Is there even the slightest possibility that you and Avateur are being incredibly impatient?

It's not about being impatient, it's being incredibly depressed at the idea of having to grind for hours and hours (i.e. waste my time) just to do the raid. Grinding in Destiny is not fun at all, nor is it satisfying or an accomplishment.

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:27 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not about being impatient, it's being incredibly depressed at the idea of having to grind for hours and hours (i.e. waste my time) just to do the raid. Grinding in Destiny is not fun at all.

But if you played missions/Crucible for fun, that stuff would unlock naturally. You'd get the random loot, materials, experience, etc.

Wow, about to give up

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Friday, September 12, 2014, 20:49 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, I'm with you here. What is the definition of a "grind"? Keep playing the parts of the game you like, and won't everything unlock naturally? I'll admit, I'm out of town on business and haven't even had time to start, but if you have to "grind" (and my definition of "grind" is to "do something unpleasant or not fun repeatedly in order to gain a reward"), it ain't worth it. Life is too damn short to get this spun up over a game that you can't unlock something in after four days.

Wow, about to give up

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 20:53 (3523 days ago) @ snakegriffin

Life is short, but I think you should at least wait until the Raid opens before you give up completely. I'm giving it a month to really sink in before I decide whether I've had enough.

Wow, about to give up

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:27 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

If the game is getting progressively less fun after playing it for near 40 hours, something is amiss if that's an issue of "patience."

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:31 (3524 days ago) @ uberfoop

If the game is getting progressively less fun after playing it for near 40 hours, something is amiss if that's an issue of "patience."

Why is it getting progressively less fun?

Again, not trying to attack anyone, just wondering why I'm not having the same sentiments as others.

Wow, about to give up

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:35 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

Again, not trying to attack anyone, just wondering why I'm not having the same sentiments as others.

I'm kinda with Pete here... I understand that grinding just for grinding's sake wouldn't be fun -- but if you think playing in the crucible and running around the solar system with friends is no fun, why play the game in the first place?

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:38 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

It gets less fun because the more you play, the worse the grind gets. I don't know if you are level 20 yet, but there is basically nothing new to do, and you are stuck doing the same stuff over and over. The bounties are easy but tedious. Yes, crucible is fun, but that's about all there is unless you like doing the same 6 strikes over and over in the vanguard playlist for gear and marks.

Wow, about to give up

by General Battuta, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:57 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It gets less fun because the more you play, the worse the grind gets. I don't know if you are level 20 yet, but there is basically nothing new to do, and you are stuck doing the same stuff over and over. The bounties are easy but tedious. Yes, crucible is fun, but that's about all there is unless you like doing the same 6 strikes over and over in the vanguard playlist for gear and marks.

I think this is part of the case against investment systems. It's like that joke about the old man who's got the great yard. A bunch of neighborhood kids come play in his yard every day because it's got a cool rock garden and a sandbox and a cat named Walt. The old man can't stand these kids because they make so much noise, but he knows they won't listen to him yelling.

So he goes out there and says "Kids, I love how much fun you're having. Never stop. I'm going to pay you each a dollar every day to play in my yard." The kids, of course, are overjoyed: they were having a blast anyway, why not make money doing it?

This goes on for a while, but one day the old man has to deliver the bad news. "The economy's collapsing, kids. I can only afford to give you a dime a day to play in my yard. If you play hard, though, you can still make a decent amount."

"Man," the kids say. "It's not worth it any more." So they go and find another yard.

Wow, about to give up

by Avateur @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:09 (3524 days ago) @ General Battuta

You hit the nail right on the head. I think that, for now, it's a good thing that I really enjoy replaying these missions with friends. I really enjoy the game because it truly is fun. It's a blast going through with friends and tackling things with different people with different abilities and play styles.

The lack of individual accomplishment past twenty is also concerning. I have played through this game I don't know how many times, and I'm still not getting gear with Light. So then I'm told I should be in the Heroic Strike playlist thing. Well, I have no one who has a level high enough to do that with me yet, gave or take a few people who are never on at once.

So maybe I have to wait to do the Raid, right? Well, I'm being forced to wait based on random loot drops and my friends' ability to find time to get on and play hours to get the random loot and things that will eventually get them to a Raid-worthy point as well. Individuals, teams, and clans end up getting punished via grind and its many, many restrictions. Highly unfortunate.

Wow, about to give up

by NotTheVacuum, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 07:19 (3523 days ago) @ General Battuta

But the kids are idiots in your story.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:31 (3523 days ago) @ NotTheVacuum

But the kids are idiots in your story.

What does that then say about players who like investment system progression and rewards? :-p

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:59 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm coming from Halo, so I don't see the difference--I see Destiny as giving you much more to do after beating the campaign than any Halo game ever did. I don't have much MMO experience so I can't judge it from any perspective except what Bungie has done previously--and from that perspective I think Destiny has given us more, even if there is very long term content. Yeah, the transition from quick progression (1-20) to super long term progression (20+) is super jarring, but for a game I plan to play for a very long time, at least I have things to look forward to.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:01 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm coming from Halo, so I don't see the difference--I see Destiny as giving you much more to do after beating the campaign than any Halo game ever did.

It's less. In Halo you would then look for the skulls, then be able to play any campaign mission on any difficulty level with whatever modifiers you wanted. You have no control over that now. You are at the whims of the playlists.

Wow, about to give up

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:38 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

Person A wants Cool Gear 1. Amount of Effort - Time required = Frustration.

Whats missing from this equation? The power of friendship. The Frustration might still be there - and no doubt that something Bungie is going to have to contend with. I find that this game really is better in the harder modes if you are playing with someone. It no longer becomes, "MUST.GET.GEAR.RAAWWR", its about kicking back and kicking ass with your friend(s).

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:40 (3524 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Person A wants Cool Gear 1. Amount of Effort - Time required = Frustration.

Whats missing from this equation? The power of friendship. The Frustration might still be there - and no doubt that something Bungie is going to have to contend with. I find that this game really is better in the harder modes if you are playing with someone. It no longer becomes, "MUST.GET.GEAR.RAAWWR", its about kicking back and kicking ass with your friend(s).

But again, what are you going to DO when you play with your friends? The activities are repetitive. The weekly strike was kind of neat to figure out, but that's one thing to do per week. The daily story missions are barely different than when you played them before.

Wow, about to give up

by Avateur @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:53 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by Avateur, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:56

No. I've been enjoying myself immensely in Destiny, and I haven't even finished Mars yet. I'm actually having fun replaying missions endlessly with friends as they just get started in Destiny, or as they are progressing through the later missions that I've already finished. I haven't done that much Crucible, but it's really not that enjoyable without friends. Randoms are incredibly frustrating. Either way, I'm not looking forward to trying to get what I need and everyone else what they need to get everyone set for a Raid. Grind mechanics are trash, period.

EDIT: So what am I being "impatient" about? Now that I've hit 20, I feel like my own individual accomplishments have stagnated. It's fun playing through with friends and killing things and helping them find things and rank up and acquire gear (hence why I've kept playing), but even with all of that, I'm still not ranking up and acquiring this Light gear stuff. It's really, really lame. At least in Crucible I have direct gratification in knowing I just stomped an entire team (either by myself or with my awesome teammates).

Wow, about to give up

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:57 (3524 days ago) @ Avateur

So don't grind. I'm not. Does that mean I won't be the first to play the Raid? Sure. But that's fine. Cody will rush ahead and tell me how much it sucks. :p

Wow, about to give up

by Avateur @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:58 (3524 days ago) @ Ragashingo

But I want to rush ahead and play the Raid. The game itself is impeding my ability to do that, and I'm very, very good at killing and beating these missions. I'm being impeded by random chance. That sucks.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:00 (3524 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So don't grind. I'm not. Does that mean I won't be the first to play the Raid? Sure. But that's fine. Cody will rush ahead and tell me how much it sucks. :p

Whether you reach level 26 slowly or quickly, you still have to grind.

Wow, about to give up

by Dax01, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:03 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you don't think you're gonna have anymore fun with the game, then stop playing it. It's as simple as that.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:05 (3524 days ago) @ Dax01

If you don't think you're gonna have anymore fun with the game, then stop playing it. It's as simple as that.

Entirely what I am debating.

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:10 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Entirely what I am debating.

We need some Doritos Double Loot Drop Weekends up in here for you guys :D

Wow, about to give up

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:37 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've committed to giving it at least a month before I give up, but I have to agree that there isn't much hope for the future. The grind is sooooooooo boring.

Wow, about to give up

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:09 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now I understand that on a fansite like this one, my current inability to play is an anomaly - I have literally not yet been able to put the disc into my console, so I have 0.0 hours played of the release game.

But it's pretty important to remember that the game was released 4 days ago - and to have you complaining that it's too much playtime to level up is pretty surreal. Maybe... I dunno... you're playing it too much?

Whatever. If you're not having fun, you should stop. It's really that simple.

Wow, about to give up

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:12 (3524 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Wait, you haven't played yet? At all? Claude... I am so sorry for you...

But I think you're missing Cody's point here. He's complaining that the game becomes a pure grind after you finish the story, and that in order to do certain activities (like the Raid), you have to do the grind even if you don't like grinding.

I know Cody's opinion is never very popular around here, but he actually has a point this time. Grinding sucks.

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:14 (3524 days ago) @ car15

But I think you're missing Cody's point here. He's complaining that the game becomes a pure grind after you finish the story, and that in order to do certain activities (like the Raid), you have to do the grind even if you don't like grinding.

I know Cody's opinion is never very popular around here, but he actually has a point this time. Grinding sucks.

*in order to do certain activities right naow

Wow, about to give up

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:15 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

The Raid isn't even open yet, so... I don't think so. Not in this case, anyway.

But I can't speak for Cody.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:22 (3524 days ago) @ petetheduck

*in order to do certain activities right naow

Dude, even if you do it later you still have to do what I'm supposed to be doing now. You have to grind just as much, simply over a longer period of time. You will have to waste the same amount of time I would.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:19 (3524 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:22

But it's pretty important to remember that the game was released 4 days ago - and to have you complaining that it's too much playtime to level up is pretty surreal. Maybe... I dunno... you're playing it too much?

It is not the time per se. I have put hundreds of hours into many games that I don't regret. It is the fact that the time required is wasted time, empty time, where you do boring grindy stuff. You are not accomplishing anything meaningful. This grind is between me and the raid, which is supposed to be cool.

When you do play, you will have fun up until you do all the missions and strikes. Then you will see what I mean.

The game is basically fighting me. I want to try it, but it doesn't want me to.

Wow, about to give up

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:23 (3524 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is not the time per se. I have put hundreds of hours into many games that I don't regret. It is the fact that the time required is wasted time, empty time, where you do do boring grindy stuff. You are not accomplishing anything meaningful. This grind is between me and the raid, which is supposed to be cool.

When you do play, you will have fun up until you do all the missions and strikes. Then you will see what I mean.

I'm clearly not making my point. (Whether you'd agree with it if you understood it is a totally separate subject.)

I guess I'm arguing that for a game that's been out for 4 days, the term 'grinding' has very little meaning. If it feels like work after such a short time, you're playing the wrong game. Return Destiny and buy something else.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 17:28 (3524 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I guess I'm arguing that for a game that's been out for 4 days, the term 'grinding' has very little meaning. If it feels like work after such a short time, you're playing the wrong game. Return Destiny and buy something else.

I probably won't return it, so much as only play the new content when it appears and possibly never do the high level stuff :-(

This happened to me in Reach

by scarab @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 23:27 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I ground to get that black visor. To my shame I even farmed XP with the target designator. It took ages (weeks?) because I didn't do multiplayer.

When I got that visor it tasted of ashes. I stopped playing Reach after that.

I did stuff that didn't interest me for a very long time to get something that should have been included in a character build screen at the start of the game. I thought that the black visor fitted the character's backstory therefore it felt like a character build decision.

Point is: the victory was pyrrhic: I lost interest in playing the game.

Look: how long will the raid hold your interest? How long will it take you to beat it?

Then what?

Are you suited to this game?

Are you playing with friends? Does that interest you? Do you like to disengage your brain whilst talking shit with your pals and breezing though some stuff about a giant priest who walks about stomping guys. Do you laugh when you kill yourself for a stupid reason. Do your pals laugh too, revive you and rib you mercilessly about it?

Do you forget to take the time to select the correct weapon set for the next encounter because you were too busy chatting about whatever to remember? Or do you take your gaming too seriously for that?

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 07:41 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is not the time per se. I have put hundreds of hours into many games that I don't regret. It is the fact that the time required is wasted time, empty time, where you do boring grindy stuff. You are not accomplishing anything meaningful. This grind is between me and the raid, which is supposed to be cool.

Wasn't sure where exactly to drop back into this thread, but I finished the campaign last night. I have some cool Legendary boots but I need 16 helium filaments.

It'd be nice if there was a vendor that sold these, or something. I feel ya. If I continue to play the game, I'll eventually collect enough, but it would take a lot of story missions before I naturally come across enough helium filaments.

Wow, about to give up

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:27 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

Wasn't sure where exactly to drop back into this thread, but I finished the campaign last night. I have some cool Legendary boots but I need 16 helium filaments.

It'd be nice if there was a vendor that sold these, or something. I feel ya. If I continue to play the game, I'll eventually collect enough, but it would take a lot of story missions before I naturally come across enough helium filaments.

That's what 'patrol' is for. Jump on the moon and run around the moonbase area - you should have a dozen helium filaments in a matter of minutes.

Wow, about to give up

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:29 (3523 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I haven'tfound a single one so far. Im getting them in chests, but I dont know what Im looking for.

What do they look like when theyre just lying around? Its entirely possible Im seeing loads but not realising what they are.

They look like this... *IMG*

by Jester GS, Earth, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:41 (3523 days ago) @ someotherguy

[image]

They also glow at "night" on the moon.

Thanks!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 17:38 (3523 days ago) @ Jester GS

- No text -

Wow, about to give up

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:11 (3523 days ago) @ Speedracer513

That's what 'patrol' is for. Jump on the moon and run around the moonbase area - you should have a dozen helium filaments in a matter of minutes.

Last night I needed 4, it wasn't a big deal to jump to the Moon and find them. But when I need a large quantity of something, it isn't going to be fun, and if it isn't fun, --that's what I consider a grind.

I like story missions, I like public events. Once public events start happening with the frequency that they did during the Beta, I'll probably spend more time in Patrol and use the Patrol missions and item hunts to pass time between Public events--but Patrol missions and item hunts are not things I like.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:34 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

Right, and down the line some armor requires really weird things like ascendant motes or ascendant energy in batches of 8. At least with relic Iron or helium you can gather it in patrol, but how you get some of this stuff is beyond me. It pops up occasionally when you level up your cryptarch or very rarely as a story mission reward.

Wow, about to give up

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Friday, September 12, 2014, 21:15 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've read the whole thread up to this point and I think both the Cody camp and Pete camp have good points. It's a lot about the mindset you take when approaching this. Now, what I'm about to say might make people's heads explode, for a variety of reasons, and I apologize up-front if I'm out of my gourd here.

Cody, I understand what you're saying. The game should remain fun and interesting at any point in the progression. Should. But... think about this:

What is college? College is like Destiny pre-20. You're doing new classes each semester, working towards a goal, building accomplishments. Then, out of some sense of masochism, you pursue grad school. Then it's the same classes you took before, just more brutal. This is Destiny after level 20. But the enticement of further accomplishment (high level gear) spurs you to keep going, despite not wanting to--because the activity itself has lost its appeal, whether from difficulty or the sheer amount of time spent. So you go for the PhD. So you can, what, teach? You go through that to limit your prospects? But... but... it's the measure of success! Right? We all want that full set of Exotic armor. But what will that REALLY take?

We came here to Become Legend, no? To forge our stories in battle. Whether intentionally or not, maybe Bungie has made something deeper than just an FPS for us to dick around in. Stories, stories. Put your fan-fic hats on for a sec. You're a Guardian, reborn into an unfamiliar world. You meet other Guardians as you lash out at the forces of the Darkness. Is every day going to be epic? Is every encounter going to be like the battle below Halo 3's citadel? No, of course not. You go out in your jump ship, poke around the wastelands of our former empire, and return maybe that night, maybe days later, with whatever you've found and tales of those you drove back into the vacuum of space. Periodically, you rest and scratch your ass while watching vids off the net (like we all ought to do once in a while IRL; this game's been out 4 days only, people). You mingle in the Tower, enjoy nightlife in the City. You go beyond the Wall again. You come back. Rinse, wash, repeat.

See, this is an allegory for our real lives. It's not every day we feel like Legends. But when those times do come, it's awesome! The rest of the time, we should keep things in perspective. We do our Guardian jobs and it's not always fun. We live, we play, we laugh. We meet another Guardian, form a bond, fall in love. We have a family. You don't land that Exotic gear in a day. It might take years. You go too fast and all the you get is exhaustion, frustration--as is the case in anything! The point is, if you focus just on how annoying it is that a grind lies between you and Ultimate Victory, you're going to drive yourself insane. Just as the grind between burger flipper and CEO would drive us to drink/drugs/suicide if it was all we could think of. There's more out there and it can't be had instantly.

So maybe I'm crazy and you all want to rend me with shovels for this inane metaphor. But that's none of my business.

Wow, about to give up

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 21:44 (3523 days ago) @ tadboz

I understand your analogy, but video games are escapism. Nobody wants them to mirror real life. That's boring.

Wow, about to give up

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, September 12, 2014, 22:06 (3523 days ago) @ car15

I understand your analogy, but video games are escapism. Nobody wants them to mirror real life. That's boring.

Unless you're Dwight Schrute

Everyone does

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, September 12, 2014, 22:14 (3523 days ago) @ car15

I understand your comment is hyperbole, but a game wouldn't be understandable if it didn't mirror real life in many ways... The line is drawn by the developer and accepted or rejected by the player.

Everyone does

by car15, Friday, September 12, 2014, 22:29 (3523 days ago) @ breitzen

You know what I meant. :P

A game should not be a chore. It should be something you can dive into after a long day at work or at school and start having fun playing immediately.

Wow, about to give up

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 12, 2014, 23:04 (3523 days ago) @ tadboz

What is college? College is like Destiny pre-20. You're doing new classes each semester, working towards a goal, building accomplishments. Then, out of some sense of masochism, you pursue grad school. Then it's the same classes you took before, just more brutal. This is Destiny after level 20. But the enticement of further accomplishment (high level gear) spurs you to keep going, despite not wanting to--because the activity itself has lost its appeal, whether from difficulty or the sheer amount of time spent. So you go for the PhD. So you can, what, teach? You go through that to limit your prospects? But... but... it's the measure of success! Right? We all want that full set of Exotic armor. But what will that REALLY take?

First of all, going to college nets you REAL valuable skills and knowledge. Knowledge and learning are incredibly valuable, and your job prospects are much better. Most 'grinds' in real life actually net you a positive, such as learning a skill, working out, practicing an instrument, etc. Learning and getting better is satisfying, and tackling new challenges is what life is all about. Most mature people enjoy challenging themselves.

Destiny does not do that, because 1. You don't get anything worthwhile, 2. it's not fun and games should be entertaining, and 3. what you have to actually DO to grind doesn't require you to grow or learn, but simply put in time. The illusion that time spent automatically means accomplishment is alive and well with Destiny.

Wow, about to give up

by tadboz, Fort Collins, CO, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 00:20 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fair enough. To be honest, I was half joking. Obviously real life grinds net real life accomplishments, which makes them superior, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I agree, though. My argument definitely did not account for the time vs. personal growth thing you mentioned. I think up until a point, Destiny does encourage growth, but it stagnates after that.

Level 26 FINALLY

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 16:17 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did it and grinded it out. Level 26. Raid, here I come. If anybody here makes it to 26 before tuesday let me know so I can start putting together a raid crew.

PSN - D_P_Roberts

contact @ codymiller dot org

Level 26 FINALLY

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 19:32 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I did it and grinded it out. Level 26. Raid, here I come. If anybody here makes it to 26 before tuesday let me know so I can start putting together a raid crew.

PSN - D_P_Roberts

contact @ codymiller dot org

I'm getting there. Why did you have to go with PS4, Cody.

Was it worth it? :D

Level 26 FINALLY

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 22:10 (3522 days ago) @ petetheduck

Was it worth it? :D

I'll let you know on tuesday.

I will be away on Tuesday....

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 00:05 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

so please let me know how it goes.

Wow, about to give up

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 00:39 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If they aimed for an MMO-style game this sounds about right. Back in the days with WoW the game's pace slowed down incredibly when you got to late game content. I read an article defining this as the content wall, something that should take ages to get past, because after that there is nothing more, this will (hopefully) keep active players playing until the next content update.

In WoW previous content was made easier to access and/or play so anyone, not only hardcore raiders, would get to actually experience it. Meanwhile a new content wall was put up at the end of the new content, naturally. If Bungie plans to deliver content in the same way, and you're not into seemingly endless grinding, it might be sensible to just not play the last content until the next game expansion :)

That said, I have not played the actual game yet... guess I'll wait for a PC version.

Five days out.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 03:25 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game has been out for five days. Here's where I stand.

Crucible is this game's saving grace. It's far from perfect, but it's the one mode in this entire game that actually WORKS on a fundamental level. I enjoy PvP enough that I'll probably keep playing it for the foreseeable future, but the rest of the game severely lacks replayability. The loot grind is super boring. Patrol mode, which was initially my favorite mode, feels very repetitive now. I only play it when I'm in the mood for some free-roam shootin', which isn't very often, and never for very long. I don't use it for its intended purpose (grinding). The story missions are extremely repetitive, and since the story itself is so unremarkable, I have no incentive to trudge through any of them again, except for the sword one because it actually offers something unique for me to do. The strikes are also repetitive and every boss battle is tedious, but I am partial to one or two of them despite myself. I'll probably replay those occasionally. (But I'm never touching the Moon strike again. FUCK PHOGOTH.)

I'm nowhere near where I need to be for the raid - it will probably take me weeks to grind to level 26. Why should I have to slog through weeks of boredom just to play something I want to play? At least it's not going anywhere... unless Bungie decides to lock it again, which is entirely within their capability. I don't see why they would, but just knowing that they COULD if they wanted to is unsettling to me.

I can see myself playing this six months from now, but only when I'm in the mood for it. This will never be a seven-nights-a-week game like Halo was.

So you're where you were a few days ago :P

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 12:13 (3522 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

So you're where you were a few days ago :P

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 13:40 (3522 days ago) @ Avateur

Well, no. A few days ago, I had no idea if this was something I'd still be playing months from now.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread