Young Guardians have questions! (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 07:46 (3523 days ago)

My kids ask me great questions all the time. Things like:
"What is the purpose of life?"
"Why is that bird giving that other bird a piggy-back ride?"
"Did Han really shoot first?"

I have answers for almost all their questions about life... Except when it comes to Destiny.

So I'm turning to this fine community for help! Here's a running list:

1. What do I do with all these helium cells/spinmetal/wire/etc?
2. How do I increase Intellect? None of these armor pieces do it.
3. Where/how do I get ship upgrades?
4. When will I find exotic weapons?
5. How do I get capes for my Hunter? (The ones Nathan Fillion peddles are up level 20)
6. How/why/when do I use the vaults in the Tower?
7. Is there a way to turn off the hit point counters above enemies?

I think there were more, but that's a good start. Any assistance is appreciated!

Young Guardians have questions!

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:00 (3523 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:08

Primarily, these will be used for things like upgrading weapons. Common/Uncommon weapons tend to just require Glimmer to upgrade, but eventually you'll need these things.

You'll eventually find armor pieces that will.

The ship lady in the hangar on the Tower will sell other ships. You'll also get a free ship at one point if you complete the story missions. The ship itself doesn't upgrade and is just cosmetic.

In a really long time. Haven't found any myself yet.

5. How do I get capes for my Hunter? (The ones Nathan Fillion peddles are up level 20)

Some vendors in the tower sell them, but they're really expensive. You'll probably find some randomly in loot chests, item drops, etc., as you play the game.

If you have too many items for your player to carry, you can store them rather than discarding them. Also, you can share items between any characters you create using the vault--like Glimmer, the vault is shared between all the characters you create.

Nope.

by Oholiab @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:04 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

First of all, you guys are awesome! Thank you all for your help!

If you have too many items for your player to carry, you can store them rather than discarding them. Also, you can share items between any characters you create using the vault--like Glimmer, the vault is shared between all the characters you create.

THIS information on the Vaults would have been really good to know up front. Every character made the same purchase from the Vanguard Quartermaster. Sigh.... This is where I would rant about not having an in-game manual, but I won't go there again. I'm over it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:51 (3523 days ago) @ petetheduck

Primarily, these will be used for things like upgrading weapons. Common/Uncommon weapons tend to just require Glimmer to upgrade, but eventually you'll need these things.

As far as I am aware (please correct me if I'm wrong) none of the upgrading takes helium cells or spinmetal (or relic iron or spirit blooms). Sapphire wire and weapon kits or whatever they're called though are used for upgrades as well as the rarer ones (ascendant energy for example) for legendary/exotic weapons.

Spinmetal/helium cells etc can be turned in for rep and marks at the crucible or vanguard vendor.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:07 (3523 days ago) @ Oholiab

These materials are used when modifying the more exotic weapons and armour in the game. You can also trade the materials in with faction leaders (including the Vanguard) for extra reputation.

I've found one piece of armour that increases Intellect; it's there, but appears to be very scarce.

Rarely, they're in loot chests. You can buy them from the shipwright (for a LOT of glimmer) and one late-game mission gives you a new one. If you got the Limited Edition (or Ghost, which includes the LE) you get a code to download one; I think you pick it up from Tess's shop in the Tower.

Raids, Strike missions from the Vanguard playlist, buy them from faction leaders with Crucible or Vanguard marks.

I finally got a (Rare) cape at about level 16 or so; I think it was a mission reward.

Store stuff you don't need, to leave inventory slots available to pick up new stuff while on missions. Also, your Vault works for *you*, not a character; if you start another character, he/she can draw gear out of your Vault. This could be very handy.

Sadly, no. I'm a bit disappointed Bungie had to use 'em too; much prefer how this was handled in the Halo games.

-- Steve dashed this off the top of his head, so some of the details may not be quite right... but the broad meaning should be close enough to work with.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:14 (3523 days ago) @ Oholiab

You turn them into the Vanguard Quartermaster and Crucible Quartermaster for Vanguard/Crucible points (to get cool gear).

Armor. I just recently got some blue-level armor that gives intellect boosts - I was probably around level 16 when I got it.

The shipwright will sell you new ships. I am unaware of ship upgrades, at least to this point.

When you're finally approaching or at level 20 and above.

Most of the ones for purchase in the tower are for level 20s. The main exception, and best way to get capes earlier is to buy encrypted class item engrams from the Cryptarch. For a few hundred glimmer you can usually get a class item from him which will be a random scarf or cape. If you don't like the one you randomly get, you can buy another and another.

Access the vaults to store weapons that you either can't use for your character yet, or want to save for later, or want to give to one of your other characters. The stuff in your vault (and the glimmer you have in your inventory) is accessible across your three characters. You use the vault by opening it, then hitting the 'options' button on your controller and hitting the button on your controller that says "store" (I think it's the square on PS and the 'x' on Xbox, but I can't remember for sure).

Not that I'm aware of... I personally wouldn't want to either -- the numbers popping off as you hit them give you valuable information about where to do critical damage, and what types of damage are more effective against each enemy (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLosBMLt3Q for a helpful explanation).

I think there were more, but that's a good start. Any assistance is appreciated!

Any time!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread