Not playing any MP- What will I miss-out on campaign wise? (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:41 (3523 days ago)

(I have not finished the game, so no spoilers, please)

Let me elaborate a bit-

I have zero intentions to play any MP in the crucible. I didn't enjoy it in the beta, and I'm aware they've changed things, but my statement stands.

This is not a thread asking you to sway my opinion on that- please save your breath.

HOWEVER, I see things I don't understand weapon-wise from some of the vendors. Are there MP only weapons? Or are all weapons usable between campaign and MP?

I'm asking because I see things that require crucible marks, which I will never get. Now don't get me wrong- I'm OK if that means there are some guns I'll never get because of that.

I'm more concerned that I will miss access to missions or story content if I don't force myself to play MP. Is that the only way to side with a faction? Through MP? If I don't side with any of them because of that, will that hurt the campaign experience?

Thanks in advanced.

Not playing any MP- What will I miss-out on campaign wise?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:47 (3523 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You won't miss anything story-wise if you don't play Crucible. There may be some weapons you can only earn through playing Crucible via random drops after matches, but you can actually earn Crucible marks by turning in the various materials (IE: Spinmetal) for Crucible Marks at the Crucible vendor.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:39 (3523 days ago) @ Xenos

I don't know how many marks it gives you, but I'd guess that's way too tedious to be viable, it takes quite a while to gather 50. And you need those same resources to upgrade Legendary gear.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:45 (3523 days ago) @ Xenos

You won't miss anything story-wise if you don't play Crucible. There may be some weapons you can only earn through playing Crucible via random drops after matches, but you can actually earn Crucible marks by turning in the various materials (IE: Spinmetal) for Crucible Marks at the Crucible vendor.

Can this be used to get more than 100 a week? If you hit the limit in the crucible, can you continue to get them this way? I remember in the beta though that the amount you get is pathetic compared to just playing MP.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 11:18 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can this be used to get more than 100 a week? If you hit the limit in the crucible, can you continue to get them this way? I remember in the beta though that the amount you get is pathetic compared to just playing MP.

They can be used to gain more than 100 a week, but the trade in is pretty small, if I recall it was no more than 5 marks for 50 of each material. Definitely nothing compared to playing MP.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:17 (3523 days ago) @ Revenant1988

HOWEVER, I see things I don't understand weapon-wise from some of the vendors. Are there MP only weapons? Or are all weapons usable between campaign and MP?

1. You can use any weapon wherever, but tons of Legendary armor and weapons can be purchased with crucible marks. If you don't play MP, you will have to rely on drops for your weapons.

2. You will miss out on rewards.

3. There's very little new to do in the endgame, and the crucible is one of the things that's fun at level 20.

I think overall you're sort of going to have a bad time down the road, since Bungie has tied both PvP and PvE together.

Pretty much.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 13:01 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Notably, the Crucible is fun at level 20, as stated. Basically any lower and it becomes wildly frustrating as you try to understand why you suck butts. It's because everyone has better weapons.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 12:29 (3523 days ago) @ Revenant1988

When you get to level 16 (I think) you'll get a Vanguard playlist unlocking in the Navigator screen; you can use it to play match-made co-op games from the Strike scenarios that will give you Vanguard marks to spend in the Tower for legendary gear. When you hit level 20 other Strikes will show up too with the same reward.

Not going into the Crucible will limit you to Vanguard gear, but it is doable.

-- Steve's popped into a couple of those already, and has yet to enter the Crucible since the Beta.

by squidnh3, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 12:32 (3523 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I would actually not recommend playing much Crucible while you are advancing in the story missions. After beating the Earth missions, I played like 15 or so games on Tuesday night. I ended up way overleveled for the Moon missions, and they were mostly a cakewalk even on "Hard". Venus has caught up to me a bit, but I'm still about 2 levels above the "Hard" level, and with pretty good gear.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread