Tips for beating Phogoth the Bullet Sponge (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 13:08 (3523 days ago)

Step 1: Turn off your console.
Step 2: Go do something productive with your life.

Because sometimes the only way to win is to not play.

Tips for beating Phogoth the Bullet Sponge

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 14:41 (3523 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Endless headshots with sniper rifles, machine guns, golden guns, and the occasional throwing knife for five minutes from three Guardians did not bring this fucker down. Instead of doing something productive, however, I just progressed into Venus. All the Vex swarms in the universe are more exciting than that thing.

His crit is his belly...

by NotTheVacuum, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 15:00 (3523 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

by car15, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 15:04 (3523 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Can we all agree that boss battles are never as fun as good old fashioned swarm combat? Even when they're done well?

No.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 15:13 (3523 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

No.

by car15, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 15:17 (3523 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Really? I can't remember any good boss battles, but tons of swarm situations come to mind, especially the Library in Halo 1...

(To be clear, I'm talking about FPS games only.)

No.

by NotTheVacuum, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 15:37 (3523 days ago) @ car15

Destiny isn't where I'd go to demonstrate that shooter bosses can be fun. I remember playing through Borderlands 2, and encountering Terramorphous the Invincible, and being determined to level up, get better gear, and figure out how to beat him. Deeply satisfying to put him down the first time. But even The Warrior was pretty fun, because you had a few different attacks to counter, environmental effects (HUGELY important to fun boss battles in my mind), and plenty of minions to keep you busy/moving.

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 16:27 (3523 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Now imagine you wipe on him and have to start over. 3 times. That was my experience with Phogoth. Once he finally went down after almost an hour I just shut off the console.

I wiped twice in that strike in the Strike playlist and quit

by scarab @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 17:15 (3522 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

it's not worth the effort.

The strike playlist is to farm loot. I could have finished 3 short strikes in the time it would have taken to do that one.

If I had been playing for pleasure I would have chosen that Strike and I would have seen it through to the end.

This is a loot based game; Bungie has strongly emphasized that it is a loot based game. If I want to choose my encounters then I go to the map and pick the one I want. But I don't get as much loot.

So, OK, I will play the game the way Bungie wants me to (till I get bored with it). I will be mercenary and will optimize my loot collection. I assume that is the way the game is meant to be played.

For me, loot based games suck.

-PS I spent most of tonight helping a mate get through the story missions. I got no loot for that and had a blast. :-)

You think that's bad?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 22:05 (3522 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Word on the street is that folks doing the nightfall strike are spending 50+ minutes on the devil walker alone.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 22:08 (3522 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Step 1: Turn off your console.
Step 2: Go do something productive with your life.

Because sometimes the only way to win is to not play.

3. Kill the enemy mobs, and eventually they stop spawning all together. At this point, it's just Phogoth.
4. Everybody should have a good auto rifle. I played a few strikes with a group and we all had nice guns, and many of the bosses went down in only a few minutes on the level 26 vanguard playlist. Phogoth took about 10. Don't underestimate how effective everybody all shooting at once is.

by Durandal, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 07:25 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have a blue scout rifle and am level 22, and took my friends with level 9 and 10 characters and white gear through the whole strike at base level in about 25-30 min. Kill the mobs, then focus fire. Once I get my buddies leveled up I'll try it at 20 and let you know if it changes.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:06 (3522 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

After getting back to checkpoint 4 or 5 times with other lvl12 randoms, I took the bullet and became their mobile spawn point. Bungie did make my life non-trivial, though. A Shrieker continuously spawn back in the entrance cave, not to mention constant harassment from Wizards. Took us well over half an hour.

Like every game with investment:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:33 (3521 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Just level up and get better gear.

It only took just under 3 minutes.

http://destiny.isnotcanon.net/movies/Phogoth_Small.mov

Like every game with investment:

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:37 (3521 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread