My Destiny Review: A deep and resounding... (Destiny)

by yakaman, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 13:32 (3522 days ago)

...meh?

My first question: what did they spend all that time and money on? All those resources? Where is the content?

Let me say that I have been playing a decent amount with old friends, and having a good time. However, we've all recently hit 20 and are starting to run out of stuff to do. Which leads to quotes like:

"Crucible sucks so bad, but I can't find good gear anywhere else".
"God, I hate Crucible, but I'll do it for the gear".

Real quotes from my friends - by the way. I'm not so much disappointed as mystified. Where is everything? Where is the space, the exploration? Where is the wonder? The story?

Shooting, jumping, killing, dancing - its all fun, but what now?

Crucible is what it is, and I won't re-hash my issues with it. But I will note a new one: my crappy DSL internet connection really makes playing the Crucible tough. It's the main reason I had a tough time with SWAT and even Snipers. I was also hoping for more from vehicles, but sadly not much has been change nor added.

I'll continue to play with my friends, because that it pretty goofy fun - and I thank Bungie for that. But I don't think I'll be playing this a ton after a few more weeks. I got my $60 bucks worth for sure, and I'd give this a solid 8 or 8.5.

Honestly, I'm having trouble feeling anything about it. It's a non-event.

I actually like the Crucible

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 14:19 (3522 days ago) @ yakaman

I quite like the Crucible, particularly Control and Skirmish (3v3 TDM with revives).

However, I completely agree - the PvE side of things feels incredibly light and shallow. The story is like the shell of a short story and the bosses are all just larger versions of standard enemies but with way more health. Seriously, take the Vex Gate Lord and the Vex Nexus strike bosses; both are essentially larger (ooh scary), bullet-sponge versions of the Minotaur and Hydra respectively. In fact, the Gate Lord doesn't even teleport at you like the minotaur, it just has a big gun and a stomp attack (like every other boss). The Nexus boss has the rotating shield, but it doesn't use it intelligently - it's just there as an annoyance. For every single boss fight, it's actually a relief when the extra standard enemies (adds) spawn in; they are way more fun to fight.

My Destiny Review: A deep and resounding...

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:58 (3522 days ago) @ yakaman

I'm not so much disappointed as mystified. Where is everything? Where is the space, the exploration? Where is the wonder? The story?

This is the only frequent complaint that I don't much understand. If you play all story missions and strikes, I feel like there is hours and hours of content. Comparable to a newly released Halo game. Yes, it is certainly tiring repeating the same spaces over again, but this is very common and has bee used in plenty of well-liked games with success (even Halo). And there is a lot of physical space when you take all the "dungeon"-type areas into account.

I think people have a tenancy to "feel" like there isn't much geometry simply because they always see the start of a given planet over and over again. I think the real issue here is one of presentation and things that Bungie said pre-launch. Having only one area per planet really gives a feeling of being cooped up or contained in that area, even though the areas may sprall on and on.

My Destiny Review: A deep and resounding...

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:48 (3522 days ago) @ Monochron

For starters, Halo games were never exactly long on single player campaign length to begin with, so its not really a great comparison when there's other, more similar titles such as Mass Effect. Secondly, the whole point of this game, starting with the very first review videos, was that this was a game that was supposed to engross us for a long time. There was supposed to be "activities for every mood" and tons of content designed to keep us coming back for more. In fact Bungie and Activision were banking on the game doing exactly that, planning out a 10 year development cycle that includes expansions and DLC's galore, which would only work if people are actually invested enough to keep coming back for more.

Lastly, their really isn't that much geometry compared to what most open world games are doing these days. It's sad but true, the game is pretty small by modern standards, and what makes it worse was how we were told how massive the game was supposed to be. I wasn't expecting a Skyrim massive type world, but this... is underwhelming to say the least. I'd add that I think part of the reason they have you going through the same areas over and over is precisely because it isn't big, so they need to re-use geometry. If they spawned you in the story missions near the darkness every time, the game would feel even smaller, so they have you run through areas you've already been just to lengthen the mission time a little.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread