Terminals Work, Grimoires Don't (Destiny)

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 14:32 (3519 days ago)

While I was never a huge fan of Terminals, I tolerated them. The big problem with both the Terminals and the Grimoire cards are that they violate that tired old saying "Show, Don't Tell".

So why do I tolerate them in Halo but detest them in Destiny? I don't think it's the need to use a second screen, because I am one of those awful people who has two, if not three screens on the go at any one time. (However I think there's something to be said for not putting content that requires reading on a secondary device when there's no 'pause' in your game). I think it's because now, in Destiny, they're the only method of conveying story.

This is really irritating me. In Halo, Terminals told a second story, running in a different time from the current story, one that informed the Halo games but didn't need to be there. Even Sadie's story in what is undoubtedly my favourite Bungie game isn't really necessary to enjoy the Rookie's story. You might be left with some holes without it, but the Rookie has her own arc.

Now, leaving aside the fact that an MMO (or shared world shooter) cannot really have a character arc, the Grimoire cards are telling the same story as the game, and so they are by design giving information not inherent within the game, information I need to understand my character's story.

It really, really, really bugs me.

Terminals Work, Grimoires Don't

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 14:35 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

It really, really, really bugs me.

Read all the vex fragments. That will REALLY really bug you :-p

I Never Did the Terminals

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:06 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

I never got into the Terminals in Halo because I'm not a fan of having to go outside a game to fill the gaps in a story. Thing is, I still fully "get" Halo and it's awesome story.

I have played through Destiny's story and, one mission to the next, it always felt like I wasn't really doing anything profound. I turned to the Grimoire cards in the hope of figuring it all out; but still I just don't "get" the purpose of doing the story missions beyond being Peter Dinklage's glorified mode of transport from one door/terminal to the next.

It just seems bizarre - surely someone from Bungie played through the story, played through the strikes, fought the lacklustre bosses and thought "something is missing". It just feels...underwhelming.

So yes, I agree - it really, really bugs me.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:21 (3519 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

I never got into the Terminals in Halo because I'm not a fan of having to go outside a game to fill the gaps in a story. Thing is, I still fully "get" Halo and it's awesome story.

I confused about you saying you had to go outside the game. Bungie's terminals were not outside the game.

I also don't understand Jillybean saying she didn't like them because she prefers things to be shown, not told. Any written story is told, not shown. And stories can be quite evocative in that they ask you to imagine the events that are described. I always found Bungie's terminals evocative.

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:26 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

I also don't understand Jillybean saying she didn't like them because she prefers things to be shown, not told. Any written story is told, not shown. And stories can be quite evocative in that they ask you to imagine the events that are described. I always found Bungie's terminals evocative.

The Terminals were a separate story - these are the same story. It's going from "Here's a cool extra story we'll tell you" to "Here's your homework to understand the story."

Halo 4 felt similar

by Jordan117 @, Ala-blam!-a, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:18 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

The fact that a significant part of the late-game plot was based on non-game materials like the Librarian/Didactic dialogue and the increasingly complex Forerunner novels rendered key cutscenes incredibly confusing. Why is the Didact an evil monster? Why is this ghost angel talking to Master Chief? Wait, she... sped up his evolution? How? Why? WHAT IS GOING ON I NEED AN ADULT.

At least when prior Halo games referenced background lore, they stuck to fun atmospheric easter eggs, like Cortana echoing Halsey's memories towards the end of the Cortana level in Halo 3. But making it required reading for understanding the core storyline is just like you said -- homework.

Halo 4 felt similar

by Hyokin, New York, Monday, September 15, 2014, 10:49 (3518 days ago) @ Jordan117

The fact that a significant part of the late-game plot was based on non-game materials like the Librarian/Didactic dialogue and the increasingly complex Forerunner novels rendered key cutscenes incredibly confusing. Why is the Didact an evil monster? Why is this ghost angel talking to Master Chief? Wait, she... sped up his evolution? How? Why? WHAT IS GOING ON I NEED AN ADULT.

At least when prior Halo games referenced background lore, they stuck to fun atmospheric easter eggs, like Cortana echoing Halsey's memories towards the end of the Cortana level in Halo 3. But making it required reading for understanding the core storyline is just like you said -- homework.

I was just thinking this... Having not had a chance to read any of the recent books or anything, I only knew that the Didact and Librarian were mentioned in the Halo 3 terminals. Other than that, I had no idea who they were and what their motivations were for their actions.

Like Jilly said, I had to go out of the game to Waypoint to even watch the Terminals and see who they were. It was homework and should've been conveyed in the main story, not hidden...

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:28 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

True - I always forget. I'm pretty sure I never did them in-game. Maybe I watched them on youtube or something.

In the end, my point is the lack of substantial storytelling within Destiny's "Story" missions.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:02 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

The phrase "show, don't tell" is a common adage among writers. It's not the difference between visual versus textual media. Rather, it basically boils down to the idea that the author needs to detail the action of the scene, rather than always resorting to an information dump.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:12 (3519 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

The phrase "show, don't tell" is a common adage among writers. It's not the difference between visual versus textual media. Rather, it basically boils down to the idea that the author needs to detail the action of the scene, rather than always resorting to an information dump.

Indeed. I know this adage as well as I know my name. Have been taught it and have taught it. That's part of my confusion with Jilly's usage of the phrase in this context.

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:16 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

Indeed. I know this adage as well as I know my name. Have been taught it and have taught it. That's part of my confusion with Jilly's usage of the phrase in this context.

You said " Any written story is told, not shown." That isn't true in relation to the phrase "show, don't tell".

For instance if Bungie gave us a Grimoire that was the length of a short story, perhaps with some characters or plot, and used that to really make us fear the might of the Vex, then that would be "showing". They won't do that though, they continue to simply tell us about the danger.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:40 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

You said " Any written story is told, not shown." That isn't true in relation to the phrase "show, don't tell".

For instance if Bungie gave us a Grimoire that was the length of a short story, perhaps with some characters or plot, and used that to really make us fear the might of the Vex, then that would be "showing". They won't do that though, they continue to simply tell us about the danger.

I'll wait until I've digested more of the cards before I answer further. I fully understand the meaning of show, don't tell in the context of story telling. That concept is confusing when talking about having more story in the game. Good stories show, don't tell regardless of medium.

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:26 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

It's not 'telling' as in 'reading' it's 'telling' as 'here is the piece of information that relates to your understanding of this story right here, without interpretation, and without it the story is not only less complete but less interesting'

Terminals told a second, related story as an extra. Do you really think Destiny's story can stand alone without the grimoire telling you what it all means?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:06 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

It's not 'telling' as in 'reading' it's 'telling' as 'here is the piece of information that relates to your understanding of this story right here, without interpretation, and without it the story is not only less complete but less interesting'

Terminals told a second, related story as an extra. Do you really think Destiny's story can stand alone without the grimoire telling you what it all means?

So far, no. I'm not finished. I'm thinking/hoping it's more like a prelude that will be built upon with some regularity, but much is assumed about what we know. I'd rather they err on the side of too little exposition than too much, but I'm definitely having trouble keeping up.

I keyed into your saying terminals and cards violated "show, don't tell." If they provide supplemental info that builds the world, they can be a quite effective way of adding richness to the story, and do so in a creative way that isn't just exposition. (This topic also pushes my buttons re: 343's abandonment of text terminals--I'd want to say to them: evoke, don't show, i.e., don't make a expository-heavy cutscene that wouldn't exist in this fictional terminal.)

I think what you're getting at is what many others have said, which is that there isn't enough story in the game. If they didn't feel as necessary, I think we'd think the cards were cool.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:11 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

I think what you're getting at is what many others have said, which is that there isn't enough story in the game. If they didn't feel as necessary, I think we'd think the cards were cool.

Pretty much.

I've said elsewhere that I like the concept of the Grimoire cards, but the way they're executed is awful. (Being crucial to understand the basics of the story, not being available to read in-game, not being explained anywhere in-game, etc...)

by Jillybean, Monday, September 15, 2014, 11:34 (3518 days ago) @ Kermit

I keyed into your saying terminals and cards violated "show, don't tell." If they provide supplemental info that builds the world, they can be a quite effective way of adding richness to the story, and do so in a creative way that isn't just exposition. (This topic also pushes my buttons re: 343's abandonment of text terminals--I'd want to say to them: evoke, don't show, i.e., don't make a expository-heavy cutscene that wouldn't exist in this fictional terminal.)

That is more along the lines of what I'm saying, yeah

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, September 15, 2014, 14:36 (3518 days ago) @ Kermit

If they didn't feel as necessary, I think we'd think the cards were cool.

Bingo! That's exactly how I feel about them, Kerminator.

- CC

Example

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:05 (3519 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Here is a great example from the Last of Us. Spoilers:

You can come across posters for a teen werewolf movie, that's a parody of the twilight films. If you look at it, Ellie asks about the film, and Joel tells her a bit about it. Ellie wonders why Joel would go see such a silly film, and asks who dragged him to see it. Joel says "Nobody".

It's the way he says it, you KNOW his daughter dragged him to see it, and he's dodging that because he isn't over her death. I got that right away, but if you look closely in the beginning of the game, she has that same poster in her room.

Instantly you know Joel is still feeling guilt over his daughter, without any of that being told to you. That's showing.

Example

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:10 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Another is the expression on Ellie's face before she delivers the last line of the game.

TL;DR

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:31 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

Bungie - I have time for only ONE of two things; Play video games or reading. Reading IN videogames? What is this?! A Book!? You Cray. /hip

Reading out side of videogames, about videogames I could be playing? Cray times two - Yo. /stillhip

------
Am I close Jellybean? I think I got the gist of it pretty well. ;P

TL;DR

by Psyrixx, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:34 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Personally, if I go to see a movie I don't want to have to read the script because the movie is nothing more than a two hour video of someone running around a city throwing a tennis ball at random walls.

TL;DR

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 15:38 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I honestly don't think that's what I said at all. :/

TL;DR v2

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:09 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

I honestly don't think that's what I said at all. :/

Au contrair, mon cheri. You mention that Grimoire (and even the terminals from Halo) "violate that tired old saying 'Show, Don't Tell'". You then further state about Grimoire being "the only method of conveying story" in Destiny.

Essentially - those two core tenants are very heavy on a reading basis. The rest of your post is essentially making note, then placing to the side, of the different game-play nature of Destiny denied the ability for a conventional written character arc, and that the story contained in the cards are core to the story, but not in game. This goes back to the observation about reading.

Therefore

Reading out side of videogames, about videogames I could be playing? [Crazy] times two.

------
For the record - the only reason I'm being so nit-picky about this is that it's... for my understanding.

Hey, Insane.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:11 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

As your friend, shut up.

You're being an ass.

Hey, Insane.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:15 (3519 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

As your friend, shut up.

You're being an ass.

Then I shall state that was BY FAR not my intent, and do so. If I have offended, I apologise. My curiosity can get the better of me sometimes.

Thank you for your honest observation Joe.

Hey, Insane.

by Jillybean, Monday, September 15, 2014, 11:36 (3518 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You didn't offend me, but I did think you were missing my point rather. And you were instead telling me what point I was making (wrongly) - so it was a bit irritating, but no offence at all, no worries :)

TL;DR

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:03 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Bungie - I have time for only ONE of two things; Play video games or reading. Reading IN videogames? What is this?! A Book!? You Cray. /hip

Reading out side of videogames, about videogames I could be playing? Cray times two - Yo. /stillhip

------

Pretty sure no . . .
Here is something I posted in another thread that I think illustrates the point.

I heard the new Quinten Tarentino movie is coming out soon. Apparently it is 2 hours of non-stop action, special effects, and blood; it gets really intense. If you want to know who the characters are, the reasons they are fighting each other, or what is happening from scene to scene, you can just bring your internet enabled device into the theater, download the "Movie Story Cards(tm)", search through them for relevant information, and read along during the movie!

• Don't know who that creepy guy following the main character is?! Read all about his motivations in the "'Creepy Guy' Movie Story Card(tm)".
  • Wondering what this sense of urgency is everyone is talking about?! Read about how the main character is in danger in the "'Why are we all gonna die?' Movie Story Card(tm)"
  • Confused as to how a sword could be so devestating to an army of people with guns?! "Movie Story Card(tm)" not yet released, buy our next movie for more!

Why is this kind of thing acceptable in video games today?

TL;DR

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:11 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

------

Pretty sure no . . .
Here is something I posted in another thread that I think illustrates the point.

I heard the new Quinten Tarentino movie is coming out soon. Apparently it is 2 hours of non-stop action, special effects, and blood; it gets really intense. If you want to know who the characters are, the reasons they are fighting each other, or what is happening from scene to scene, you can just bring your internet enabled device into the theater, download the "Movie Story Cards(tm)", search through them for relevant information, and read along during the movie!

• Don't know who that creepy guy following the main character is?! Read all about his motivations in the "'Creepy Guy' Movie Story Card(tm)".
  • Wondering what this sense of urgency is everyone is talking about?! Read about how the main character is in danger in the "'Why are we all gonna die?' Movie Story Card(tm)"
  • Confused as to how a sword could be so devestating to an army of people with guns?! "Movie Story Card(tm)" not yet released, buy our next movie for more!

Point noted.

TL;DR

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:14 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

It's not. It was absolutely brain dead when 343 Industries did it with Halo 4's Terminals only being accessible outside of the game, and it's even more brain dead when Bungie releases a game with hardly any real narrative or substantive story but expects the player to go entirely outside of the game console to read what amounts to a huge dump of info to get the back story or any real details on anything going on in the universe. It's absolutely pathetic.

Mass Effect is a prime example of how you can have plenty of reading material while making it accessible in-game, and it only helps to further enhance what's already happening. Granted, Mass Effect actually had an actual real coherent story taking place within the gameplay itself, which Destiny does not have.

TL;DR

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:18 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, you are agreeing with me. It looked to me like INSANEDrive was defending the Grimoire cards as a reasonable way to tell the in-game story.

TL;DR

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:21 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

Yeah, sorry if there's any confusion. I'm absolutely agreeing with you in every way, shape, and form. And for the record, the Grimoire has some absolutely unbelievably well written and captivating stuff. The fact that it's so broken up, a lot of it is based on what you unlock via the grind or finding hidden items, and that it's outside of the game are all massive strikes against it. Whoever wrote it, though, definitely appears to know what they're doing (and should probably be let in to help shape and craft the overall narrative and its portrayal in-game going forward).

TL;DR

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:30 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

And for the record, the Grimoire has some absolutely unbelievably well written and captivating stuff.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It is a good read. Like you say, hopefully Bungie will put that talent to use in crafting a narrative, rather than churning out text snippets.

TL;DR

by General Battuta, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:41 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

And for the record, the Grimoire has some absolutely unbelievably well written and captivating stuff.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It is a good read. Like you say, hopefully Bungie will put that talent to use in crafting a narrative, rather than churning out text snippets.

I'm really glad you guys liked the Grimoire. I wrote a good deal of the longer material (but there were a ton of other great contributors). Curious to hear your favorite cards.

TL;DR

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:49 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

Woah, I had no idea you worked at Bungie. The Awoken history cards really stood out to me. Probably the Hive's organizational structure and gods as well. It did a great job of characterizing just how sinister and non-human they are. I'll have to read back through more of them once I finish playing today ;D

TL;DR

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:15 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

There are a ton to read and I'm nowhere near close to reading even a quarter of them at this point (mostly too busy playing Destiny), but for some reason the "Ghost Fragment: Ghosts" card really did something for me. Really awesomely written.

TL;DR

by General Battuta, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:32 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

Robert Reed deserves the credit for that one. He's published a lot of really good short fiction over the years. He did the Alpha Lupi material too.

TL;DR

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:40 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

Well that nixes my speculation that Staten was involved. I'm glad you're still with the company. (You are still with the company right?)

TL;DR

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:42 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

That's awesome. Thanks for the reply! I really enjoyed the Alpha Lupi stuff, and the Song of the Spheres emblem has been my go-to since I was first able to put it on. I don't see myself ever changing emblems on this game, either. I'll probably post more thoughts on the Grimoire when I have the chance to really get into it.

TL;DR

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:02 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

Man, I can't thank you enough. Those cards are quite a breath of air to the game. As Jilly put, quite a shame they are out of it...

Staten Perhaps?

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:39 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

Wouldn't it be amusing if Joe Staten was the guy who wrote the Grimoire stuff? Seeing as he left the company and all...

I said it when he left, I'd give anything to get him in a room and drug him with some truth syrup (not really, that's actually pretty psychotic) but you get my drift... I'd love to know what went into the decision. Was his work lackluster and Bungie allowed him as a longtime and well known employee depart of his own accord instead of firing him? Or did he see what was going on with the game and said fuck this I'm out? Or maybe he left for another reason, but now that I see what Destiny's story is my curiosity on the subject is only amplified.

Staten Perhaps?

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:46 (3519 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

The story is actually pretty interesting, but it's all buried in the Grimoire. I don't think this was Staten's fault...

TL;DR

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:29 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

Yeah, you are agreeing with me. It looked to me like INSANEdrive was defending the Grimoire cards as a reasonable way to tell the in-game story.

Asking questions and Seeking clarification. No more. No less. Lines in the sand are irrelevant and a cognitive waste of time.

TL;DR

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:31 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

It's not. It was absolutely brain dead when 343 Industries did it with Halo 4's Terminals only being accessible outside of the game, and it's even more brain dead when Bungie releases a game with hardly any real narrative or substantive story but expects the player to go entirely outside of the game console to read what amounts to a huge dump of info to get the back story or any real details on anything going on in the universe. It's absolutely pathetic.

Mass Effect is a prime example of how you can have plenty of reading material while making it accessible in-game, and it only helps to further enhance what's already happening. Granted, Mass Effect actually had an actual real coherent story taking place within the gameplay itself, which Destiny does not have.

But you don't have friends in your Mass Effect lobby talking to you while you're digesting the Codex. I think that's why the Grimoire cares are not in-game. The real issue is the minimal story in the game, which is not what we've come to expect.

You can dislike the choices they made, but I think your rhetoric is over the top. And, as I said in the other thread, it wasn't 343's choice--the videos weren't included at least at first because of development constraints. Maybe that's the case with Bungie. We don't know.

There's a long history of out-of-game game content, and Grimoire cards, from what I've read of them, seem like they are part of that tradition. Again, the issue is we're starving for narrative in the game.

And one more time, I think there's something dumb about having your character walk up to a screen in-game to unlock something, so that you can watch a movie on another screen later. Our characters don't actually find Grimoire cards in the game world.

TL;DR

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:41 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Avateur, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:44

But you don't have friends in your Mass Effect lobby talking to you while you're digesting the Codex. I think that's why the Grimoire cares are not in-game. The real issue is the minimal story in the game, which is not what we've come to expect.

You're spot on. Unfortunately, it's a huge trade-off as far as in-game inclusion goes, but its inclusion and convenience absolutely trumps making you go elsewhere. I don't have friends on 24/7. When on alone, I'm usually filling my time randomly in the Tower or on Patrol. It'd be lovely to just chill in the Tower or wherever and read the Grimoire until some people get on. But yes, the real issue is minimal story.

You can dislike the choices they made, but I think your rhetoric is over the top. And, as I said in the other thread, it wasn't 343's choice--the videos weren't included at least at first because of development constraints. Maybe that's the case with Bungie. We don't know.

I understand that. I also understand that H1A managed to have its Terminals in-game, whereas the big blockbuster H4 didn't. H4 is also a disaster (in my opinion), and it's just another strike against it. Over the top rhetoric and all.

There's a long history of out-of-game game content, and Grimoire cards, from what I've read of them, seem like they are part of that tradition. Again, the issue is we're starving for narrative in the game.

I feel like you're completely spot on. The other side of it is that, while using the Halo 4 comparison, the Terminals are relatively short. The Grimoire is huge, and even if Destiny had a narrative in-game, something that huge and substantive is bound to be problematic when kept strictly outside of the game itself (edited this part, made no sense before, sorry).

And one more time, I think there's something dumb about having your character walk up to a screen in-game to unlock something, so that you can watch a movie on another screen later. Our characters don't actually find Grimoire cards in the game world.

In Halo 3 the Terminals were there as if Master Chief was actually accessing them himself and reading them. Cortana even comments on them, and Mendicant Bias at one point even acknowledges seeing the Chief. In Reach the data pads are picked up and read by the character, though they're primarily just for you. In ODST, Sadie's Story is also something being checked out in-game and conveyed, and even ends up down in that frozen area. The fact that the Grimoire cards are even so disembodied from the over arching world itself in-game only helps to detract from the experience.

TL;DR

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:49 (3519 days ago) @ Avateur

You're spot on. Unfortunately, it's a huge trade-off as far as in-game inclusion goes, but its inclusion and convenience absolutely trumps making you go elsewhere. I don't have friends on 24/7. When on alone, I'm usually filling my time randomly in the Tower or on Patrol. It'd be lovely to just chill in the Tower or wherever and read the Grimoire until some people get on. But yes, the real issue is minimal story.

I understand that. I also understand that H1A managed to have its Terminals in-game, whereas the big blockbuster H4 didn't. H4 is also a disaster (in my opinion), and it's just another strike against it. Over the top rhetoric and all.

I feel like you're completely spot on. The other side of it is that, while using the Halo 4 comparison, the Terminals are relatively short. The Grimoire is huge, and even if Destiny had a narrative in-game, something that huge and substantive is bound to be problematic when kept strictly outside of the game itself (edited this part, made no sense before, sorry).

In Halo 3 the Terminals were there as if Master Chief were actually accessing them himself and reading them. Cortana even comments on them, and Mendicant Bias at one point even acknowledges seeing the Chief. In Reach the data pads are picked up and read by the character, though they're primarily just for you. In ODST, Sadie's Story is also something being checked out in-game and conveyed, and even ends up down in that frozen area. The fact that the Grimoire cards are even so disembodied from the over arching world itself in-game only helps to detract from the experience.

Unfortunately I haven't finished the game. (I need to find a level ~16 fireteam to enter the Black Garden.) I'm still getting my head around Destiny's story. I'm not sure we'll end up disagreeing that much, but I think the Grimoire cards would be something we love like we love Halsey's journal if it were perceived as garnish for the main course.

TL;DR

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, September 15, 2014, 06:52 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

Unfortunately I haven't finished the game. (I need to find a level ~16 fireteam to enter the Black Garden.) I'm still getting my head around Destiny's story. I'm not sure we'll end up disagreeing that much, but I think the Grimoire cards would be something we love like we love Halsey's journal if it were perceived as garnish for the main course.

I solo'd the black garden, but I was 19 by the time I got to it. I had been playing a bunch with friends and pursued bounties and replayed missions I thought were fun.

TL;DR

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:53 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

But you don't have friends in your Mass Effect lobby talking to you while you're digesting the Codex. I think that's why the Grimoire cares are not in-game.

"Hey look, this optional feature might occasionally interact in a slightly negative way with another optional feature."

"Oh crap. I guess we have to axe everything."

//====================

And the flip side:

"Hey guys, this card totally just..."

"Cool!"

TL;DR

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:16 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

Judging by the game's reception, it isn't.

Terminals Work, Grimoires Don't

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 16:40 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

You're not the only one. The story elements of this game are head-scratching bad.

Skyrim

by minasodaboy ⌂ @, Madison, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 17:34 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

Multiple times I've wandered into an empty room and wished there was a journal or short story to find a la Skyrim. Other narrative arguments aside, within the context of the structure Bungie chose it would have been great to have been able to find some longer narratives while on Patrol.

Even a la The Last of Us

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:03 (3519 days ago) @ minasodaboy

There were notes, audio logs and excerpts from diaries scattered throughout TLoU's story. They all added further depth to the already epic story that was told, but they weren't required reading at all.

This!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:10 (3519 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

There were notes, audio logs and excerpts from diaries scattered throughout TLoU's story. They all added further depth to the already epic story that was told, but they weren't required reading at all.

That's the difference. The Last of Us' story made sense, and was hugely gripping on its own. Those things just add flavor. I skipped most and did not feel like I was missing out on the main narrative at all.

This!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:19 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's the difference. The Last of Us' story made sense, and was hugely gripping on its own. Those things just add flavor. I skipped most and did not feel like I was missing out on the main narrative at all.

You didn't except for maybe in the Firefly lab.

A few examples of little things I loved in The Last of Us:

You find a note from a guy who's supposed to meet someone named Frank who wants into Boston's quarantine zone. You find this before you know any character named Frank, and later Frank is revealed as Bill's partner. Most would only make the connection during a second playthrough.

They actually animated Ellie picking up Sam's toy off the floor in the toy store. She won't do it if you're looking at her, though. Some quick camera work and slowed video showing it exists on the internet, though.

This!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:22 (3519 days ago) @ Kermit

You didn't except for maybe in the Firefly lab.

That I found.

You find a note from a guy who's supposed to meet someone named Frank who wants into Boston's quarantine zone. You find this before you know any character named Frank, and later Frank is revealed as Bill's partner. Most would only make the connection during a second playthrough.

That I found as well.

They actually animated Ellie picking up Sam's toy off the floor in the toy store. She won't do it if you're looking at her, though. Some quick camera work and slowed video showing it exists on the internet, though.

That is amazing. That game is amazing.

Yep, exactly.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:24 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

With Destiny, I resorted to the Grimoire cards in the hopes of getting some understanding as to...everything. I admire the content in them for sure, but for the life of me I cannot understand what possessed Bungie to avoid including much of it in the in-game universe.

Yep, exactly.

by General Battuta, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:40 (3519 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ
edited by General Battuta, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:45

I don't know anything about the technical or design reasons, but I do know that if we'd had to have the Grimoire written to go on the disc with the game proper, it likely would've been cut. The Grimoire as it stands was mostly written and edited in one crazy sprint very close to launch.

Yep, exactly.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:56 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

So why didn't they just include a Grimoire viewer on the disc? The actual content could still be stored on Bungie's servers, but you'd be able to view it in-game.

Maybe they can still do this in a patch...

Yep, exactly.

by Monochron, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:02 (3519 days ago) @ car15

So why didn't they just include a Grimoire viewer on the disc? The actual content could still be stored on Bungie's servers, but you'd be able to view it in-game

He's saying that if they had planned to do that, they would have cut it. Implementing a feature to go on disc is very different that writing info to be viewed on an app and website.

Yep, exactly.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:09 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

That's not quite how I read it. He said the actual content was written very close to launch, and therefore could not be included on the disc. That doesn't preclude the creation of a Grimoire viewer in-game.

Obviously, they didn't do that, though, so the point is moot.

Yep, exactly.

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:06 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

Do you mind me asking why it was included at all then?

Background flavour? Necessary information?

I realise this probably falls under the design umbrella

Yep, exactly.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:18 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

My question is, and I don't mean to be rude here; is why is the story that is actually in the game so thin and shallow?

I understand the Grimoire was written at the end of the development, but still, there had to have been a reasonably solid story written for the game at some point earlier in development. I find it hard to believe a big-budget game like this, with so much riding on it would essentially leave the actual story out of the in-game "Story" mode and simply relegate it to a last minute task to be written up for a companion app or website.

Sorry if that seem's blunt; I'm just trying to get my head around it. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I didn't have to go reading a bunch of stuff on a website to get the meaning to what I was doing when I played the campaign of Halo CE.

P.S. As I say - I love the Grimoire material itself; it's the disconnect between that and Destiny's in-game story that has me baffled.

Yep, exactly.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:14 (3519 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ
edited by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:19

Speculation alert! I know nothing. This is just what I think.

I have a suspicion that Destiny's development was a clusterfuck and that the game had to be significantly cut down toward the end of development. The story was likely truncated to accommodate this restructuring period.

I think development was taking longer than anticipated. I think Activision got sick of waiting and imposed a deadline on Bungie. I think that is the root cause for a lot of the repetition in the game design and the lack of story in the game itself. (Yes, I know the investment system was part of Destiny's design concept, but somehow I doubt that the cookie-cutter story levels were.)

Halo 2 redux?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:31 (3519 days ago) @ car15

I hope not, but I'm sure reality was cruel at some point.

On the plus side, I've always considered ODST to be in some respects a game's worth of the urban combat we craved so much after seeing the E3 demo that year.

A optimistic person might say that Bungie delivers on their promises eventually.

Yep, exactly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:31 (3519 days ago) @ car15

I think that is the root cause for a lot of the repetition in the game design and the lack of story in the game itself. (Yes, I know the investment system was part of Destiny's design concept, but somehow I doubt that the cookie-cutter story levels were.)

The investment system necessitates the type of story missions that are in the game.
http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=35662

Yep, exactly.

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:08 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know about that. The MMO structure of the game requires the use of shared map spaces, and it also encourages shorter "bite-sized" missions, but I don't believe that any part of the game's core design requires every single mission to be a Dinklebot escort trip.

Yep, exactly.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:21 (3519 days ago) @ General Battuta

I have so many questions for you, and I know that you aren't allowed to answer any of them.

Would you say writing it all so quickly and close to launch provided a little adrenaline fueled inspiration? Kind of like the rush you get when an important school paper is due and you don't feel like you have enough time to do it in?

Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) also did this well.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, September 15, 2014, 08:04 (3519 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

They also were good at telling stories without words; in Fallout 3 I still vividly remember breaking into the quarters of an Air Force General to get something for a fetch-quest, searching the house, and finding in the bathtub a skeleton, four empty liquor bottles, and a toaster. The story told itself; I didn't need to read a suicide note to know what that General thought would come of his orders to turn his launch keys.

-- Steve loves that sort of thing.

Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) also did this well.

by Jillybean, Monday, September 15, 2014, 11:44 (3518 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

They also were good at telling stories without words; in Fallout 3 I still vividly remember breaking into the quarters of an Air Force General to get something for a fetch-quest, searching the house, and finding in the bathtub a skeleton, four empty liquor bottles, and a toaster. The story told itself; I didn't need to read a suicide note to know what that General thought would come of his orders to turn his launch keys.

-- Steve loves that sort of thing.

God yeah that kind of stuff is the exact kind of in-universe story telling I make googly eyes at.

Even a la The Last of Us

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, September 15, 2014, 17:24 (3518 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Aww man those audio logs. Such wonderful acting to supplement an awesome story. Destiny with those type of audio logs (and in-game diary entries) would have put it over the top for me.

- CC

Nobody mentioned the other obvious problem?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:25 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

You have to UNLOCK the grimoire stuff. Mostly by playing a collect-a-thon.

by Yapok @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:28 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Might as well just read them on a wiki if you dont like collecting then, eh?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:28 (3519 days ago) @ Yapok

Might as well just read them on a wiki if you dont like collecting then, eh?

I was looking… is there a link to all the cards? It would actually be more convenient that way since the web interface isn;t the best.

by Yapok @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:59 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Orly?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 18:44 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You have to UNLOCK the grimoire stuff. Mostly by playing a collect-a-thon.

Someone here hated Pokémon. Is a monster (not even the fun pocket kind).

WTF Is Going On Around Here: #22/500

by griknir, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:20 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Nah, not really a problem given the current implementation

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:23 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As it is, it'd spoil the hell out of the story.

Also, the enemy cards unlock as soon as you kill one, no? If that's the case, it benefits from pacing. Much better than a huge sudden influx of information, IMO. I sure as hell would go all TL;DR for several days/weeks if the full extent of the Grimoire was available to me from the start.

Nah, not really a problem given the current implementation

by Jillybean, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 19:30 (3519 days ago) @ ZackDark

But why isn't it in the game?

Why not in ambient dialogue that unlocks with story progression. It's not as though ambient dialogue is the shared world?

Why not have a library in the tower with a character who does nothing but exposition at you, where you can read your grimoire cards, perhaps adding some kind of scholar mechanic

Why not deliver the info in my story, instead of outside of it?

Oh, library in the Tower is a good one

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:16 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

As Battuta told us here, the Grimoire came very late in the development cycle, which, while does not excuse Bungie, does give us a pretty good idea of why it is as convoluted as is.

As I still haven't finished the game yet, I'm holding out my final judgement, but I have to agree that, so far, it's not quite as deeply-rooted in-game as I expected.

Oh, library in the Tower is a good one

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 15, 2014, 08:53 (3519 days ago) @ ZackDark

The more I think about it, the more I love the library in the tower idea. Someone else may have mentioned it before, but it would be really cool.

With mixed success, I've tried to recruit guardians of similar rank in the tower. A library would add another variable. One could assume that any guardians in the library care about the narrative, and those are the players I want to play with.

Bungie can have that one for free

by Jillybean, Monday, September 15, 2014, 11:33 (3518 days ago) @ Kermit

Because I really want to like the story :)

It doesn't help that Grimoire is a UI train wreck *LONG*

by Jordan117 @, Ala-blam!-a, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:15 (3519 days ago) @ Jillybean

Seriously, I've been totally baffled by the interface ever since the beta, both on a laptop and in the companion app.

You've got a big Grimoire card with tiles and progress bars and a score. Then a bunch of individual cards next to it with their own categories and progress bars and scores (and red bookmark tassles with numbers, for some reason).

But click any one and you get a different, secondary layer (Inventory, say) with a different main card with different categories and tiles and progress bars and scores.

Click one of those (Economy) and you get a third layer of cards -- this time a main card with pictures instead of tiles, no progress bars, a numerical count of cards collected out of the total (in that category, I guess? Or maybe subcategory?). But then the score on that main card is zero, even though I've found two of six.

But then, when clicking one of the two cards found (Glimmer), there's no description and it just says "Unlock this card by playing Destiny." So you have to both find the card, and unlock it? Unlock it how? And the other four cards all say "Card not yet acquired." But I have no idea how to acquire nor how to unlock these cards. Or why. Nothing is ever explained.

Desktop version adds another layer of confusion with a sidebar of "new cards," all with a score of zero. Clicking any one both removes it from the queue (or maybe activates it...?) while also diving you somewhere into the ridiculous triple-layered tarot deck interface, where you encounter a whole row of shiny cards, some colored white, some colored gold, all with +0 score. The one you clicked to get there is blank on the reverse side (bug? feature? who knows). But if you're lucky, one of the other cards will have a random snippet of context-free, in medias res lore whose depth and character in no way reflects what you see during gameplay.

Also, apparently finding/unlocking Grimoire has some kind of positive effect on your stats or weapons or something. But, like most of the rest of Destiny's abstruse and non-intuitive system of gameplay mechanics*, there is nothing to indicate this possibility in the game or on the Grimoire site, much less explain how to do it. Because having to trawl forums and read wikis just to figure out how the damn game functions is the new hotness or something.

The fact that the rich backstories which were so elegantly woven into every Bungie game from Marathon to Reach have suddenly been relegated to this absurd maze that you have to stop playing the unpausable game to read is utterly ridiculous and more than a little frustrating. That the game's story without this system is a bland mishmash of mediocre dialogue and Generic Proper Nouns is just a kick to the ribs.

* Off the top of my head, some gameplay elements whose narrative relevance and in-game function the game has yet to explain, despite the fact I've already beaten Earth, the Moon, and reached Venus: Orbs of Light. Crucible Reputation. Armor Shaders. Vanguard Marks. Spinmetal. Spirit Blooms. Reviving dead Ghosts (even though a Grimoire card said Ghost death is irreversible). What the different level icon types on the map mean. Who the player character was, why they died, how long they've been dead, why they were chosen, what they know, etc. The nature, origin, and motivations of any of the enemy factions. The nature, origin, and motivations of any of the playable factions. The nature, origin, motivations, gameplay relevance, and basic mechanics of interacting with any of the Tower factions. What the different ammo types are, what effect they have, and why you lose it all just for switching weapons. The difference between Attack and Impact. How to switch to your heavy weapon. How to contact/team up with other players. How to travel back in time and convince yourself that buying DLC for a game that hasn't been released yet is a stupid idea. At this point I'm only continuing to play to justify having bought it.

[Also, being booted from an essentially single-player campaign IS NOT FUN. Especially not towards the end of an INFINITE BULLET SPONGE BOSS FIGHT. Hasn't happened yet (the boss fight part, not the getting booted part), but I'm sure it's... in the cards. Oh ho ho.]

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:41 (3519 days ago) @ Jordan117

Harsh criticism but a lot of fair points in here.

I agree a lot of the mechanics are hard to get a hang of. I often find myself trying to explain how Attack/Defence power works and how gun stats like Impact matter and what is relevant for the Crucible vs the PvE content....it's hard work that I shouldn't have to do.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:25 (3519 days ago) @ Jordan117

Let me guess... you got roped in by the 5 dollars off if you buy the first 2 deal? Remember, there's no subscription fee, but you have to drop 20 bucks every 3 months to stay current!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 21:46 (3519 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Let me guess... you got roped in by the 5 dollars off if you buy the first 2 deal? Remember, there's no subscription fee, but you have to drop 20 bucks every 3 months to stay current!

Plus 50/yr for PSN+, but at least that's spread among games you play.

by Yapok @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 22:43 (3519 days ago) @ Cody Miller

plus the 'free' monthly psn+ games

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread