Machinima Rants About Destiny Reviews (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 22:35 (3519 days ago)

Mostly rants about the culture of video game reviews, definitely agree with their main point though: if you're having fun, screw reviews. Also their review score of Destiny is pretty funny.

Machinima Rants About Destiny Reviews

by car15, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 02:40 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by car15, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 02:46

The whole concept of "reviews" as one-time final judgments of a game's worth is pretty strange, especially when they're written after mere hours of play. In my opinion, a continuing stream of thoughts and impressions is much more informative and representative.

Also, assigning a numerical score to any sort of opinion is arbitrary and dumb.

yeah, reviews now are really ignorant conjecture

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 02:55 (3519 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 03:33 (3519 days ago) @ car15

In my opinion, a continuing stream of thoughts and impressions is much more informative and representative.

If this wasn't the age of FIRST, fast and "Look at Me", that might be true. The continuous stream you speak of is generally a putrid stream of steaming piss collecting in a bile filled cesspool.

A flock of chickens can come up with more valid reviews than the Internet mob.

I can tell you what I like and you can tell me what you like but when the Internet of opinion repeatedly pounds us on the head, over and over with negativity, it's simple mental bullying and mob violence.

I see here and on other forums, people play a game excessively and then drop into a venue and start dumping shit. One shit dump should be good enough but no, it's repeated, even after no one remains to listen. I'm even seeing people who have never played Destiny, write volumes of crap about it and Bungie under the guise of "should I buy it".

Then there's people such as me, who hate the haters. I should be playing Destiny instead, because I feel damn good afterwards.

I feel so amazing after playing

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 03:36 (3519 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 07:43 (3519 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by Korny, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 07:48

I see here and on other forums, people play a game excessively and then drop into a venue and start dumping shit. One shit dump should be good enough but no, it's repeated, even after no one remains to listen.

It gets tiring very quickly when you're trying to have a good time, and someone in the party won't shut up about things that they dislike about the game. It's like "Okay, we get it." But they just keep on and on, and yet there they are, still playing... At some point, the whiners just start rewinding the tape and playing it over and over again. Play the game, make your opinion, debate your points IF someone wants perspective, and then let it go. I'm seeing a little of the childish garbage that plagued HBO around here where nothing positive can be said about the game without the same people popping around to tell everyone (once again) why they don't like the game...

But whatevs, one just has to ignore such people...

Edit: I kind of worded things poorly. I was talking more around the general community, not specifically this forum, or the people in it.
I realize this looks like it's vague-yet-telling, but I'm really not talking about anyone here...

by Numinar @, Friday, September 19, 2014, 10:01 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

It gets tiring very quickly when you're trying to have a good time, and someone in the party won't shut up about things that they dislike about the game.

It will never get as good a trade in value as it does now, and it's the only metric Activision and Bungie will listen to. So if you are one of these constant whiners in-game, do yourself and everyone else a favor.

Sure, massive returns will kill the series and probably the dev which will make me sad as I have played it every night for 10 days and enjoyed it every time despite flaws. But If I am really in the minority then I don't deserve AAA games, or at least don't form a consumer block big enough to afford them.

If this ends here Bungie, thankyou! Know that your attempts at something new were more than appreciated.

Criticism should always be welcome, but constantly complaining about droprate, how your death wasn't your fault, how everything is stupid, how your teammates suck. Wow. Surely you are wasting your time?

I am soooo confused by your post

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 19, 2014, 10:09 (3518 days ago) @ Numinar

- No text -

*shrug* I enjoy game reviews

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 08:39 (3519 days ago) @ car15

Been reading them for a decade, the better reviewers often give me good insight and offer a differing perspective that's written in a more level headed manner than forum posts tend to be.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 08:43 (3519 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Been reading them for a decade, the better reviewers often give me good insight and offer a differing perspective that's written in a more level headed manner than forum posts tend to be.

I enjoy them in a variety of contexts. They've just been terrible in the context of reviewing a much more living world FPS like Destiny within a few days.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 09:38 (3519 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I enjoy them in a variety of contexts. They've just been terrible in the context of reviewing a much more living world FPS like Destiny within a few days.

This. Good criticism can open up a work of art and make you appreciate it more.

I disagree

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Friday, September 19, 2014, 02:26 (3518 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Of the reviews I've read - they're reviews based on the persons enjoyment and thoughts on what is presented in front of them.
A poor narrative, with repetitive mission design and tanky straight forward boss battles that last too long, combined with lots of cool stuff that they wish came together better into a nicer package [to summarise].

While I'm enjoying the game and still playing it, I don't disagree with the complaints I've read.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 10:48 (3519 days ago) @ car15

The difference between reviews and sales is a very important distinction. Most of the reviews they discus are very shitily done. High quality reviews are very useful to asses the inherint quality of the game separate from how much the masses like the game.

Looking only at the sales of COD or Destiny may miss the story or longevity issues that a game may have. The only way to properly get that message accross is by having those high quality reviews that understand how to properly give a well-rounded review of a game. That doesn't necessarily mean a final number score.

For example, I am still having tons of fun playing Destiny and am very glad that I bought it. But it missed out on a multitude of aspects to gaming that I really enjoy. It isn't as impressive as a game as I would have liked and reviews would reflect that.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:06 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

The difference between reviews and sales is a very important distinction. Most of the reviews they discus are very shitily done. High quality reviews are very useful to asses the inherint quality of the game separate from how much the masses like the game.

Looking only at the sales of COD or Destiny may miss the story or longevity issues that a game may have. The only way to properly get that message accross is by having those high quality reviews that understand how to properly give a well-rounded review of a game. That doesn't necessarily mean a final number score.

For example, I am still having tons of fun playing Destiny and am very glad that I bought it. But it missed out on a multitude of aspects to gaming that I really enjoy. It isn't as impressive as a game as I would have liked and reviews would reflect that.

Yeah I agree a lot with what you're saying, but I don't think that a high quality review of Destiny is any review released a day or two after release. After playing 50+ hours in the game I am still finding out new things and I haven't even attempted the Raid. That doesn't mean that some of their points aren't valid, but reviewing as much of the content in a game as possible is a very important part of a review to me.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:04 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah I agree a lot with what you're saying, but I don't think that a high quality review of Destiny is any review released a day or two after release. After playing 50+ hours in the game I am still finding out new things and I haven't even attempted the Raid. That doesn't mean that some of their points aren't valid, but reviewing as much of the content in a game as possible is a very important part of a review to me.

Couldn't agree more. Media didn't get advance copies of Destiny and thus have not had enough time to write good reviews. I would probably guess that a week (considering that playing/review is their job) should be enough time to get a feel for the game. All the reviews we saw coming out early last week though . . . yeah I can't really respect those, even if they do echo my opinions.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread