Ugh. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:10 (3519 days ago)

Ugh? Yes...Ugh. Last night like a few of us, I got an exotic bounty. To say I was ecstatic is an understatement. I had three choices. While I forgot what the first one was, the 2nd on was to defeat either a weekly or nightfall strike, and the third one (which is the one I chose) called "A Request from Ikora - Part 1".

I chose this one because I felt that since it had multiple steps - it would be a "better" exotic. Retrospect now rears its head. The first part was to defeat a strike 5 times without dying - which I did with gusto and glee. With a simile on my face I quickly ran back to my Vanguard to see what the next mission will be.

My smile dropped immediately.

[image]

As some of you may be aware, I don't play the crucible - its not something I want to do AT ALL. Every bounty lead I have received that was of the crucible I removed immediately. So when I saw this - well lets just say I felt a certain intensity of displeasure, even insult (though I know better). Why insult? I can't really say, particularly from something ultimately so dumb in the scheme of things. Perhaps it's because that If I had known of this requirement I would have NEVER had chosen it, or even just because when I get home I will be abandoning this quest.

And it is going to sting. Ugh. o(╥﹏╥)o

Ugh.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:17 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I haven't gotten that one yet, but I've heard it's not that bad. It's just poorly worded. The way I understood it was that you play a few games and it's complete when your k/d's add up to 25. You should stick it out for a few games and see if that works. Just lay back and camp.

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:23 (3519 days ago) @ bluerunner

I haven't gotten that one yet, but I've heard it's not that bad. It's just poorly worded. The way I understood it was that you play a few games and it's complete when your k/d's add up to 25. You should stick it out for a few games and see if that works. Just lay back and camp.

Yeah they really need to add the words "in multiple games" at the end.

Ugh.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:13 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah they really need to add the words "in multiple games" at the end.

Communication isn't one of Destiny's strong suits.

Ugh.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:42 (3519 days ago) @ bluerunner

The way I understood it was that you play a few games and it's complete when your k/d's add up to 25.

Hhm, I'm use to seeing K/D ratio, but spread would indicate a numerical difference. I'm guessing you do not mean "k (divided by) d"?

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:46 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

The way I understood it was that you play a few games and it's complete when your k/d's add up to 25.

Hhm, I'm use to seeing K/D ratio, but spread would indicate a numerical difference. I'm guessing you do not mean "k (divided by) d"?

Yeah the Halo games used K/D spread instead of K/D ratio. So if you got 25 kills and 2 deaths in a game your spread would be 23 just like you guessed.

Ugh.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:06 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm confused... how exactly does Destiny calculate k/d?

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:08 (3519 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm confused... how exactly does Destiny calculate k/d?

Destiny uses classic K/D ratio from most other FPSes. You take your kills and divide it by the number of deaths. However with this specific bounty it uses spread as the requirement (which is nice because as long as you get a positive K/D every match (ratio or spread) you will eventually finish the bounty).

Ugh.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:25 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos

That's the part that's confusing me. So it's a cumulative challenge? Meaning if I play 5 matches and have a total of 100 kills and 75 deaths, I'll have the required spread?

Yes

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:27 (3519 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

What he said.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:30 (3519 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Ugh.

by yakaman, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 14:21 (3518 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's the part that's confusing me. So it's a cumulative challenge? Meaning if I play 5 matches and have a total of 100 kills and 75 deaths, I'll have the required spread?

What happens if my current k/d spread is say, -50. Would I have to continue playing until I got it to +25?

Ugh.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:12 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

Spread is "K-D".

Dunno how "k/d" became the shorthand for it. The difference between kills-to-death ratio and spread has been confusing people for years because of this.

---

I had this Bounty too. Stick to objectives, hoard heavy ammo, and as long as you're going +1 each game you'll get there eventually. Don't worry; there are more stages to it after this! yay!

An Exotic Bounty I'm currently working on is demanding I get kills in Crucible with Void damage. My hunter, of course, does not have a void sub-class so I have to rely only on Specials and Heavies. I have to get 500 points, +5 for each kill, but -2 for each death.

It's... going slowly.

Ugh.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:15 (3519 days ago) @ RC

Spread is "K-D".

Dunno how "k/d" became the shorthand for it. The difference between kills-to-death ratio and spread has been confusing people for years because of this.

Spread = K-D | Ratio = K/D
It's a legit math equation. I was just confused because bluerunner said "KD Spread" but used the K/D nomenclature.

Ugh.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:23 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron

Yeah, my complaint about them not wording it well was not worded well.

:-)

by scarab @, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 14:05 (3518 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Ugh.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:24 (3519 days ago) @ Monochron
edited by RC, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:28

Spread is "K-D".

It's a legit math equation. I was just confused because bluerunner said "KD Spread" but used the K/D nomenclature.

Just checked: in Halo 3 there was a column in the post-game carnage report called 'K/D Spread'. This has confused things for years.

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:31 (3519 days ago) @ RC

Spread is "K-D".

Just checked: in Halo 3 there was a column in the post-game carnage report called 'K/D Spread'. This has confused things for years.

Yeah that's why I've gotten in the habit of using a slash instead of a hyphen. LANGUAGE!

Ugh.

by Monochron, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:45 (3519 days ago) @ RC

Bungle's at it again...

Ugh.

by DerekT07, Tennessee, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:32 (3519 days ago) @ RC

I had this Bounty too. Stick to objectives, hoard heavy ammo, and as long as you're going +1 each game you'll get there eventually. Don't worry; there are more stages to it after this! yay!

Actually, it's per life, not per game. In other words, as long as you get two kills before you die in a single life within a game, that +1 will go towards the bounty. As far as I could tell, dying without a kill won't subtract from the bounty either. I thought this would be really difficult because I don't consider myself very good at the crucible, but I finished it in two games.

Ugh.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:33 (3519 days ago) @ RC

An Exotic Bounty I'm currently working on is demanding I get kills in Crucible with Void damage. My hunter, of course, does not have a void sub-class so I have to rely only on Specials and Heavies. I have to get 500 points, +5 for each kill, but -2 for each death.

It's... going slowly.

I had a question about that one, does it tell you in game what you have (kind of like the bounties like "Collect 200 Olympian Tears"), or do you have to check the bounty screen after each game?

Ugh.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:45 (3519 days ago) @ Xenos

It's... going slowly.

I had a question about that one, does it tell you in game what you have (kind of like the bounties like "Collect 200 Olympian Tears"), or do you have to check the bounty screen after each game?

I had to check the Inventory screen. Which I was actually doing after every death >_<

Ugh.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 13:05 (3519 days ago) @ RC

It's... going slowly.

Fusion Rifle and HMG with void damage. I did this in about 45 minutes. Run around with your fusion rifle killing until you get a heavy ammo drop then go to town.

Wasn't expecting this.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 13:11 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I come back to find I K/D discussion. No complaints - just expressing my surprise.

...Also it seems the key phrase "I don't play the crucible" of my post has been missed, but Hey! This discussion is much more interesting then my grumbling of fortune & stance.

Wasn't expecting this.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 13:48 (3519 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

...Also it seems the key phrase "I don't play the crucible" of my post has been missed, but Hey! This discussion is much more interesting then my grumbling of fortune & stance.

Don't you know the Internet yet? :)

Wasn't expecting this.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 14:04 (3518 days ago) @ Xenos

Don't you know the Internet yet? :)

Why do you think I posted a complaint. ;P

Wasn't expecting this.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:23 (3518 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I come back to find I K/D discussion. No complaints - just expressing my surprise.

...Also it seems the key phrase "I don't play the crucible" of my post has been missed

I too had a moment of pause when I got this challenge, but it literally took three games to get it done. Now I really like the Crucible, but rarely ever visit it unless I have bounties, so I'm not ultra competitive, and I was able to easily snag it. The spread also counts assists towards your kills ( a large number of crucible bounties do), so you'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get it.

I too found it odd that there was a Crucible requirement for exotics (and that they require you to do well), but if you insist on avoiding the crucible at all simply "because yes", then I really don't know what to say other than swallow your pride, or abandon the bounty... Then again, PS4 will have the "Pass the Controller" option soon, so a friend could simply take over for you and do those challenges... Assuming you have that version of Destiny. ;)

Wasn't expecting this.

by petetheduck, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:58 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

WELL DON'T JUST STAND THERE, tell us what weapon you got from it.

Wasn't expecting this.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:08 (3518 days ago) @ petetheduck

WELL DON'T JUST STAND THERE, tell us what weapon you got from it.

Invective. It's a monster in the Crucible, though shotguns aren't my style.

Otherwise, it's a fast-firing, high-range shotgun that regenerates its ammo fairly quickly. Useful to equip it for a moment, then swap it out for another Special for some free ammo. VERY useful during strikes, as few enemies have a resistance to Solar damage.

[image]

Wasn't expecting this.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 18, 2014, 18:37 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

regenerates its ammo fairly quickly

Wat.

God, I need to up my game in Destiny...

Wasn't expecting this.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 20:39 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, it wrecks everything. I don't have an issue with ammo for it, but I'm sprinting constantly for the Titan Falcon Punch so I run past the crates often. Reload speed is it's only real downfall in my opinion.

Destiny Bias

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:26 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

...Also it seems the key phrase "I don't play the crucible" of my post has been missed

I too had a moment of pause when I got this challenge, but it literally took three games to get it done. Now I really like the Crucible, but rarely ever visit it unless I have bounties, so I'm not ultra competitive, and I was able to easily snag it. The spread also counts assists towards your kills ( a large number of crucible bounties do), so you'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get it.

I too found it odd that there was a Crucible requirement for exotics (and that they require you to do well), but if you insist on avoiding the crucible at all simply "because yes", then I really don't know what to say other than swallow your pride, or abandon the bounty... Then again, PS4 will have the "Pass the Controller" option soon, so a friend could simply take over for you and do those challenges... Assuming you have that version of Destiny. ;)

It's not the challenge that gave me pause, which seems to be the overall conclusion. Its not that at all.

I was hoping I could swear off all things multiplayer with Destiny, because - I have found more and more that for myself, I don't find multiplayer to be all that fun. I don't care if I can kick your ass or if you can kick mine. It's meaningless too me. All I care about - and where the fun for me lies, is whether or not I can kick my ass. I challenge my self. Furthermore - So many people take multiplayer so seriously, when I in turn am very casual as I play. It's not an atmosphere I want to play in. I don't feel like being yelled at because for a match I went -1 KD in a CTF match. It's Stupid. To quote Jason Jones from one of the vidocs, Destiny is based off of "What do you want to do today". I don't want to play the Crucible, and yet in small and subtle ways Destiny is biased towards the Crucible. Most of the Gear you can get in the Tower requires Crucible marks. Some of the Materials you need to upgrade are also tailored toward those who play the Crucible. At first I didn't mind this, its just another challenge, yet the more nice gear I get the more it seems like you are required to be playing a certain way.

Try to walk away and they just pull ya back in. I guess this is why I felt a need to post this, I don't know what to do. Is it me or Bungie? I guess this little observation is why I felt a need to post this - this was the straw that broke the camels back.

Ugh.

Destiny Bias

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:30 (3518 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It's okay, you won't get yelled at because Destiny is a game with a lot of people you aren't allowed to talk to!

Destiny Bias

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:43 (3518 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Sounds like you've been playing with the wrong people, then. I play with a good number of friends who tend to go into the negatives, but they have fun, and I have fun. Just find better people to play with...

Also, From what I've seen, your faction leader sells the same gear that Shaxx sells, only requiring Vanguard Marks rather than Crucible marks... I was disappointed that I didn't have enough VM to purchase an armor piece, but when I went to Shaxx, he had all of the same armors, only I could afford them.

Destiny gives you a lot of workarounds. You CAN trade in resources for Crucible points, Just like you can turn them in for Vanguard points.

Like I said, though, if you're insistent on not playing Crucible just because it's not your style, then just abandon that bounty. There's always a chance that you'll get the item as a random drop (I got a New Monarchy Legendary machine gun as a random loot drop), no Crucible required.

Destiny Bias

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 19:43 (3518 days ago) @ Korny

Went in with a full team tonight. We had a blast. This has been the most fun I've had in multiplayer in a while. It's too bad we're all split across consoles. Hopefully they'll get customs in so we can have some community game nights. I'm loving PvP.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread