Back after (literally) years, just to post story speculation (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 17:02 (3509 days ago)

HI bungie.org-ers! This is "The Shrike" from lots of h.b.o posts back in, yes, 1995.

Anyway, I'm Kahzgul now. Hello.

In the interest of full disclosure, even though I'm level 24 as of this posting, I still haven't finished the story of Venus, let alone unlocked Mars. Weird, i know.

Regardless, I have a theory about the story of Destiny that I really hope is true (but which I don't think is because Bungie probably isn't mean like this):

We're the bad guys.

That's right, the "guardians" are a legion of undead super soldiers raised from the grave to endlessly murder all creatures in the universe. The forces of good; a shaky alliance of former enemies - the Hive, the Fallen, the Vex, and the Cabal, *almost* defeated us, but we retreated under the protection of our pale death god where we slowly grew in strength. Now, our scourge has been unleashed upon the universe once again, and this time we're exploiting infighting and weakness among the once noble races.

The time is ripe for our army of the undying to end all life once and for all!

Seriously, I hope this is the plot of the game.

Shake it off. We've all been dead before. *nm*

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 17:04 (3509 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Welcome back!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 17:23 (3509 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You're actually one of many around here and throughout the fandom who think that the nature of the Darkness and our Guardians are quite unknown. Here's a recent thread we had on it: PUT ON TINFOIL HAT!

Thanks! *NM*

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 19, 2014, 10:27 (3508 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

The problem I see with this...

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Friday, September 19, 2014, 06:17 (3508 days ago) @ Kahzgul

...is that if it's true, if you're fighting on the "wrong" side... there's no way of making that really impactful. Your character is essentially a blank slate, so we dunno how they would feel about such a change in the playing field. Would they feel bad? Would they not care? Would they actively assert their supremacy? Guardians in Destiny have less characterization than Master Chief circa Halo: Combat Evolved, so I don't think that kind of story point would play well.

The problem I see with this...

by Kahzgul, Friday, September 19, 2014, 10:27 (3508 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Ahh, but you *don't* care! All you want is the sweet loot your dark god deigns to bestow upon you after completion of his orders.

Or do you feel bad for all the fallen you've so mercilessly slain?

Would you kindly place this tinfoil hat upon your head?

by Jillybean, Saturday, September 20, 2014, 06:04 (3507 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Exactly

by Earendil, Friday, September 19, 2014, 14:31 (3508 days ago) @ davidfuchs

The problem with us switching sides is that (so far) we haven't done anything inherently good or bad, but the Darkness hasn't done anything either. The only reason that we're on this side of things is because we were born there, and belong to the race under the Traveler.

Now, being born on one side of a conflict suits most of the world as a reason to do battle just fine, so maybe that's all this dispute boils down to. But I'm hoping to hear a sinister plan from either the Darkness or the Traveler that makes us pause and choose a side based on moral/ethical grounds.

Now, the one thing that the Darkness may have done that's "evil" is to try and exterminate us. We don't know that's true, but we do know that our "last safe city" has been under siege before. Presumably, based on our other cities, if they had broken the wall they would not put their foot down and claim once and for all that Red is in fact better than Blue, and then leave us be. They would kill us. However, that's an assumption, and even if stated by The Speaker could just be propaganda.. Perhaps (given that we can't die) they are trying to release us from our Ghost prison? Who knows.

But you're right, there is no legit reason to switch sides even if the Darkness isn't evil and the Travel isn't good. They are opposing sides, and I'm more in love with The Tower than I am with a hole in the sand on Mars.

Exactly

by Jillybean, Saturday, September 20, 2014, 06:04 (3507 days ago) @ Earendil

The problem with us switching sides is that (so far) we haven't done anything inherently good or bad, but the Darkness hasn't done anything either. The only reason that we're on this side of things is because we were born there, and belong to the race under the Traveler.

Ehh, speak for yourself. I'm the Queen's creature.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread