Blizzard cancels Titan (Off-Topic)

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 12:09 (3505 days ago)

Not really Destiny or Bungie related but still pretty big gaming news IMO, Blizzard has cancelled Titan, the game that's been in development for a decade, and was completely rebooted a year ago, but evidently to no avail.

I find this extremely amusing. Guess when the last time was that Blizzard developed and released a new IP? Think about it.

It was the original Starcraft, released 16 years ago. Every single release since then has been a sequel or spinoff that uses existing Blizzard IP.

Their most ambitious projects have been a MTG clone with Warcraft flavor, and a MOBA with all existing Blizzard lore champions.

At least Bungie has contractually obligated to churn out new Halo games like beasts of burden until they were set free, Blizzard isn't just milking their IP's anymore, they've set up a dairy farm.

Blizzard cancels Titan

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 12:37 (3505 days ago) @ Fuertisimo
edited by rliebherr, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 12:44

I didn't follow the development very well. What type of game was it, do we know?

EDIT: My Google-fu found me a Polygon article.

Blizzard cancels Titan

by Quirel, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 13:13 (3505 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I find this extremely amusing. Guess when the last time was that Blizzard developed and released a new IP? Think about it.

I didn't have to think about it, I already knew.

I think that the success of WoW meant that Blizzard didn't have to take risks, they could just let the MMO-machine print money.

Now that their Big Three IPs are so mismanaged, they are going to have to learn how to strike out in new directions.

I'm not holding my breath, but I am hoping for the best. I don't want my #1 source of RTSs to go the way of Relic and Ensemble Studios.

RIP Ensemble

by DavidIsDead ⌂, Earth, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 14:11 (3504 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

All I care about...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 13:40 (3504 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

... is weather we will ever see the glimmer of work these years had formed, or if (and this is more likely) it's like everything else. This work will be lost to the black hole of development.

I heard - somewhere - that Blizzard had been collecting (at the very least) some of the best modelers of the industry for this project. Now - I don't even think we'll be able to see the result. Sad.

That's a shame :(

by HuskerAlpha, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 16:51 (3504 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Was looking forward to a new Blizzard IP that wasn't going to have alot of familiar faces.

Blizzard cancels Titan

by Numinar @, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 00:50 (3504 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Hmmm, unusual timing.

Perhaps it had too many similarities whilst being inferior to another well cooked, previously more ambitious release that had a lukewarm reception?

Blizzard cancels Titan

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 24, 2014, 08:24 (3504 days ago) @ Numinar

Exactly what I thought, too.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread