Behind the scenes development meeting ;) (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, September 26, 2014, 08:30 (3507 days ago)

TYSON: Why don't they have grinding in FPS's?

JONES: What do you need grinding for?

TYSON: Grinding is now the number one driver of replayability.

JONES: You know why? Because people like to say "grind." "Excuse me, do you grind?" "We need more grinding." "Where is the grind? No grind?"

TYSON: See, this should be a game. This is the game.

JONES: What?

TYSON: This. Just grinding.

JONES: (dismissing) Yeah, right.

TYSON: I'm really serious. I think that's a good idea.

JONES: Just grinding? Well what's the game about?

TYSON: It's about grinding.

JONES: No story?

TYSON: No forget the story.

JONES: You've got to have a story.

TYSON: Who says you gotta have a story? Remember when we were just walking through the park looking at scenery? That could be a mission.

JONES: And who is in game? Who are the characters?

TYSON: I could be a character.

JONES: You?

TYSON: Yeah. You could base a character on me.

JONES: So, in the game, there's a character named Tyson Green?

TYSON: Yeah. There's something wrong with that? I'm a character. People are always saying to me, "You know you're a quite a character."

JONES: And who else is in the game?

TYSON: Lorriane could be a character. Carney..

JONES: Now he's a character. (Pause) So everybody I know is a character in the game.

TYSON: Right.

JONES: And it's about grinding?

TYSON: Absolutely grinding.

JONES: So you're saying, I go in to Activision, and tell them I got this idea for a game about grinding.

TYSON: We go into Activision.

JONES: "We"? Since when are you a writer?

TYSON: (Scoffs) Writer. We're talking about a video game.

JONES: You want to go with me to Activision?

TYSON: Yeah. I think we really got something here.

JONES: What do we got?

TYSON: An idea.

JONES: What idea?

TYSON: An idea for the game.

JONES: I still don't know what the idea is.

TYSON: It's about grinding.

JONES: Right.

TYSON: Everybody's doing story, we'll do grinding.

JONES: So, we go into Activision, we tell them we've got an idea for a game about grinding.

TYSON: Exactly.

JONES: They say, "What's your show about?" I say, "Grinding."

TYSON: There you go.

(A moment passes)

JONES: (Nodding) I think you may have something there.

I love playing Destiny, just wanted to make a friendly jab vis a vis the story and grinding.

Hahahahaha

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 26, 2014, 09:16 (3507 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

[image]

I have a retraction to make regarding grinding...

by Numinar @, Friday, September 26, 2014, 09:33 (3507 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I've been defending the system.

I said there was no Grind.

For my first Rares and early purples this was true.

Now with My beloved Leg HC, SR and Sniper (From the queens missions, yay!) along with the lovely invective, I am more than happy with my weapons. They seem to be doing damage a couple of levels above my 25, so I can hang with higher friends. But I cannot upgrade them!

I'm still half blue in armor, but what I have seems worth keeping pre-raid. But I cannot upgrade them! Vanguard points will complete the set and get me to 26 but then what?

How do I get world resources without farming? Sure, I could probably get an upgrades worth in 15 minutes but that is like WORK. I hate farming. At least in WoW there was world PvP to keep it interesting. I don't mind the drip drip drip of the ascendant whatsits, but the other resources are not keeping up!

As I am not racing to finish this as fast as I humanly can I am earning everything else I need by just doing stuff I like, which involves Strikes, Crucible and Weekly/Daily story missions. I did some patrol when I was near the right level and the bounties matches, got about 50 of each thing which has kept me going until now so it's only just hit thats the only source of that nonsense.

I need another way to do this. Bungie, you were good as giving us lots of ways to approach the resource collection for almost everything, but Explore is not leveled and therefore not interesting unless the variety of missions or public events gets a big boost.

Easy solution is to pay it out with Trash. Or as consolation rewards when you get nothing in Strikes or Crucible. I don't mind if it's slow, as long as there is SOME coming in.

Other than that, love it, keep it going. Queens bounty nerf is a bit sad but I got that Sniper last night so shouldn't complain. Hopefully it's enough to let me solo the kill orders as it might be hard to find mates to run them now.

I felt like I was grinding by the 3rd story mission.

by Jabberwok, Friday, September 26, 2014, 10:32 (3507 days ago) @ Numinar

- No text -

Beautiful

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, September 26, 2014, 09:39 (3507 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread