"Bad news guys. Players are having fun in Destiny." (Destiny)

by Jordan117 @, Ala-blam!-a, Friday, September 26, 2014, 14:05 (3505 days ago)

After dealing with character design and story, Penny Arcade hits Destiny's gameplay:

[image]

Interesting commentary, too:

[Players] were savoring the fruits of this storied Loot Cave in Cosmodrome, essentially a firehose of rare-ass engrams and idiot space mutants, so rich that you literally shoot them until your bullets run out. It’s the only reason to stop. It’s the only reason to ever stop. We need to entertain the idea that it’s the only way you can stop.

They basically had to shut it down. It was short circuiting the entire game; it was reaching up under the dash and yanking out handfuls of wire. But… people loved it. It was like a snowglobe version of Destiny, you could just shake it a few times and see the broad arc gleam before you. That’s what was bad about it too, of course. The shape was too beautiful, its wind-tunnel optimized curves made engaging with the experience in other ways feel suboptimal.

People loved it, though. I keep thinking back to that. That doesn’t mean it’s an optimal design or that it’s healthy for the game as a living service. Sometimes you discover things by accident, though, and the weird little culture that surrounded this indicates value. Now that we know it, is there way to gate that rush? Is there a way to fold a version of that experience into the game proper, and still retain control?

"Bad news guys. Players are having fun in Destiny."

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Friday, September 26, 2014, 14:28 (3505 days ago) @ Jordan117

[Players] were savoring the fruits of this storied Loot Cave in Cosmodrome, essentially a firehose of rare-ass engrams and idiot space mutants, so rich that you literally shoot them until your bullets run out. It’s the only reason to stop. It’s the only reason to ever stop. We need to entertain the idea that it’s the only way you can stop.

They basically had to shut it down. It was short circuiting the entire game; it was reaching up under the dash and yanking out handfuls of wire. But… people loved it. It was like a snowglobe version of Destiny, you could just shake it a few times and see the broad arc gleam before you. That’s what was bad about it too, of course. The shape was too beautiful, its wind-tunnel optimized curves made engaging with the experience in other ways feel suboptimal.

People loved it, though. I keep thinking back to that. That doesn’t mean it’s an optimal design or that it’s healthy for the game as a living service. Sometimes you discover things by accident, though, and the weird little culture that surrounded this indicates value. Now that we know it, is there way to gate that rush? Is there a way to fold a version of that experience into the game proper, and still retain control?

I always enjoy Jerry and his words. That last paragraph is pretty on point too.

by Jabberwok, Friday, September 26, 2014, 15:05 (3505 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

One of the things I liked about the Loot Cave, is that, with a gathering of players there, we would all suddenly get attacked by hordes of high-level monsters that no one was equipped to deal with. Not sure how frequent this was, or what the circumstances they spawn under are, but it's happened to me multiple times, and it's probably been the most fun I've had, just engaging in this crazy and unexpected moment.

If Bungie doesn't already, they need to have a small team whose only job is to monitor what players are doing and respond to it by tweaking the world, changing spawn points, etc. I'm not talking about 'bug' fixing, just about ways to create the unexpected, like dropping tough enemies on groups of people taking it easy.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, September 26, 2014, 16:07 (3505 days ago) @ Jabberwok

On the one day I worshipped at the Holy Loot Cave I not only was smashed & killed by a WarSat but also was overwhelmed by the swarm of ever increasingly difficult foes. I loved that swarm. It was a blast. I wish there was more of that in Destiny. Reasons for people to gather & then have these amazing fights. There are the public events, but this was just so much funner & unexpected.

Yes, please!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 26, 2014, 16:15 (3505 days ago) @ dogcow

There are. I know of three locations off the top of my head that get dangerous enough with swarming high level enemies that I couldn't keep my level 26 Titan alive.

- There's one of the places where a few Hive and Fallen battle back behind the Rocketyard area. Somewhat close to the Strike entrance I think.

- There's the area around the crashed Fallen Skiff back in the Ishtar Academy section of Venus where Fallen and Vex usually battle. I got swarmed by Major (yellow health bar) Fallen Captains, Servitors, and Vex there. Was a lot of fun.

- Then the other day Leviathan and I got swarmed real good on Mars at what I'm pretty sure is the first little Cabal outpost where they are normally fighting off a Vex.

I never saw the big loot cave fight but it sounds a lot like these. Increasing high level enemies that spawn and spawn until the whole thing comes to an end and things go back to normal..

by DEEP_NNN, Friday, September 26, 2014, 16:53 (3505 days ago) @ dogcow

I played against that crazy horde on my first or second day to that area starting with the Beta. It has nothing to do with the loot cave. It seemed like a cool farming area before I even knew about the Loot Cave exploit.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 19:27 (3504 days ago) @ Jabberwok

One of the things I liked about the Loot Cave, is that, with a gathering of players there, we would all suddenly get attacked by hordes of high-level monsters that no one was equipped to deal with. Not sure how frequent this was, or what the circumstances they spawn under are, but it's happened to me multiple times, and it's probably been the most fun I've had, just engaging in this crazy and unexpected moment.

Wish I had seen this.

Wish even more that players lost loot when killed :)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 19:53 (3504 days ago) @ narcogen

Wish even more that players lost loot when killed :)

That would be an awful mechanic.

by Monochron, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 23:39 (3503 days ago) @ narcogen

Yeah man, I hate it when people find advantage in the systems they are given. What a drag that is for those who don't use the advantage.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 23:44 (3503 days ago) @ Monochron

Yeah, I don't get the spite directed towards the Cavers, either. Bungie didn't throw a fit about it or ban anyone, they just laughed and fixed the exploit, so why can't we just emulate them?

I mean it, though, if you lost engrams or new gear you had when you died that would be really, really dumb.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread