Attack Power (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 07:57 (3504 days ago)

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I think I understand this number now. It's basically multiples of ten? For example, if your gun has 300/300 attack power, that means it'll do full damage to enemies up to level 30. If it's 280/300, then level 29 and 30 will get reduced damage.

Seems to bear out, as last night we tried the Vault and my Invective couldn't quite kill a Praetorian with one magazine. Upgraded it today to what I believe is the Praetorian level, tried to help some Guardians getting into the Vault, and it was blasting them apart.

That'd make sense

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 27, 2014, 08:31 (3504 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Attack Power

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 08:50 (3504 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Incteased atack power also does bonus damage to enemies below that level, up to a point.

My attack Power 76 handcannon was hitting level 2-6 enemies for the exact same amount, until I upgraded the damage, and it went up. So I guess it still does Full damage or more on enemies below its Atk/10?

Also, my Atk 200-ish Jigoku does more damage to Level 4s than to Level 2s, weirdly *shrug*

Range also affects hits

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, September 27, 2014, 10:05 (3504 days ago) @ someotherguy

Also, my Atk 200-ish Jigoku does more damage to Level 4s than to Level 2s, weirdly *shrug*

I've noticed that there are range tiers that modify your damage. From across the room on the Cabal Strike, I was doing maybe three quarters of the damage to the boss than I was doing from the closest point on the walkways.

Maybe that was what was fudging your lvl2s?

Range also affects hits

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 10:34 (3504 days ago) @ ZackDark

I've noticed that there are range tiers that modify your damage. From across the room on the Cabal Strike, I was doing maybe three quarters of the damage to the boss than I was doing from the closest point on the walkways.

Maybe that was what was fudging your lvl2s?

Yep, that's exactly what the Range attribute does. As distance increases there's damage reduction similar to how grenade radius works. Upgrading Range pushes that falloff out further.

Range also affects hits

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 02:37 (3504 days ago) @ ZackDark

Nah, I was definitely close enough. Maybe its to stop you being too overpowered when fighting lower tier enemies?

Attack Power

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 11:49 (3504 days ago) @ someotherguy

Incteased atack power also does bonus damage to enemies below that level, up to a point.

My attack Power 76 handcannon was hitting level 2-6 enemies for the exact same amount, until I upgraded the damage, and it went up. So I guess it still does Full damage or more on enemies below its Atk/10?

The damage you can inflict to enemies well below your level is clamped to a much lower range than the damage on your weapon would indicate.

This is so that, in groups, if you're careless, they can still be a threat. Rather than being rice paper that fall over when you shotgun them from across the map.

Attack Power

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 11:32 (3504 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I think I understand this number now. It's basically multiples of ten? For example, if your gun has 300/300 attack power, that means it'll do full damage to enemies up to level 30. If it's 280/300, then level 29 and 30 will get reduced damage.

Seems to bear out, as last night we tried the Vault and my Invective couldn't quite kill a Praetorian with one magazine. Upgraded it today to what I believe is the Praetorian level, tried to help some Guardians getting into the Vault, and it was blasting them apart.

A slash in attack rating means when you get a weapon it'll have the lower number and you can upgrade the attack to the higher number. As for relating to levels directly, I don't know, I know it's involved somehow because when you hover it it says so.

Attack Power

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 11:54 (3504 days ago) @ General Vagueness

A slash in attack rating means when you get a weapon it'll have the lower number and you can upgrade the attack to the higher number.

That's how I see it working; the number before the slash even changes when you upgrade the weapon's damage (from 260/330 to 280/300, for example) and when the weapon damage is maxxed out it no longer displays as a split number.

-- Steve doesn't fully understand the meanings of the stats, of course, just chunks of it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread