About Raid Plans for Saturday - The other side of the coin (Destiny)

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:06 (3517 days ago)

I can completely understand the desire to go in spoiler free. Experience everything for the first time, through un-jaded eyes. Perhaps it's from a few years worth of raiding in WoW, and while I enjoy experiencing the story for the first time, I like knowing strategies for my boss fights in advance.

Not saying anyone needs to go through and arrange groups on preference as that would be a lot of work. Not trying to create headaches. There are just positives to knowing the strategies for conquering these bosses. The littlest things can wipe the raid if you don't know what you're doing and lead to hours of frustration. I'd like to prevent that.

Perhaps a hybrid approach would be best. The people who want to watch youtube strat videos can do that, and not say anything the first few times on a boss. Until the group asks, and then we go over strategies.

Thoughts, Comments? Btw thank you to those of you who have joined me lately to play. It's been a blast.

I would rather have a plan in place too.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:12 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

- No text -

About Raid Plans for Saturday - The other side of the coin

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:23 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

I see the sense of this, but I'm conflicted after hearing so many here talk about the importance of going in spoiler-free.

Being spoiler-free naturally is my preference, but on the other hand, I kind of expect to fail the first time I try it.

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:28 (3517 days ago) @ Kermit

I see the sense of this, but I'm conflicted after hearing so many here talk about the importance of going in spoiler-free.

Being spoiler-free naturally is my preference, but on the other hand, I kind of expect to fail the first time I try it.

Oh I completely agree with you...even having a strategy it's going to mean we wipe a few times. And it's also going to take a minute for everyone to execute said strategy properly.

It just might be helpful to know the fights and what to do so after we've cut our teeth a few times, we will have a good idea on how to progress.

Side Note: I hate hobgoblins.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:29 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

Not saying anyone needs to go through and arrange groups on preference as that would be a lot of work. Not trying to create headaches. There are just positives to knowing the strategies for conquering these bosses. The littlest things can wipe the raid if you don't know what you're doing and lead to hours of frustration. I'd like to prevent that.

When you wipe, you restart at a checkpoint. You don't have to start the entire raid over. You lose 10 minutes at MOST.

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:33 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When you wipe, you restart at a checkpoint. You don't have to start the entire raid over. You lose 10 minutes at MOST.

You have a good point here...

But to counter point. When your raid wipes for an unknown reason for the 5th time because you're unaware of the mechanics of the fight? What do you do then? And there is a specific point that I'm referencing in the raid where that happens. No one is being shot at, but if you don't do something specific it can wipe everyone.

btw I do appreciate the feedback.

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:35 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:38 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to have to figure out on my own. It might be frustrating, but that just makes the reward of solving the problem with your team that much better.

-Disciple

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:38 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

Oh I completely agree with you...even having a strategy it's going to mean we wipe a few times. And it's also going to take a minute for everyone to execute said strategy properly.

It just might be helpful to know the fights and what to do so after we've cut our teeth a few times, we will have a good idea on how to progress.

Side Note: I hate hobgoblins.

Another personal advantage for me being on a team of newbies is that plenty of people will likely be making mistakes, and I won't the be the obvious hindrance to our progress. :)

Agreed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:39 (3517 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

I do understand - you have a good point.

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:46 (3517 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to have to figure out on my own. It might be frustrating, but that just makes the reward of solving the problem with your team that much better.

-Disciple

And whatever group I end up in, I'm don't want to ruin anyone else's experience so while I may feel a certain way about this, I'm not going to try and take over. Seems like the overwhelming response is to go in it with a fresh set of eyes. I'll just review the strategies in case I'm asked for help.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:47 (3517 days ago) @ Kermit

Going in spoiler-free isn't as great as some people claim. It's a great experience to be confused until the eureka moment hits, but at some point, the wonder and tension becomes frustration.

I was trying to keep our group spoiler-free, other than giving them general tips on what we should focus on, but sometimes my advice was bad, or we'd find a technique that worked better. You'd think that me, being the more experienced, would work better using the [Spoiler], but I avoided using it when possible, instead, one of the fellow DBOers stepped up and proceeded to get us wiped... but then he used it again, and again, getting better each time. Not only that, but others tried too, and we, as a team, began gravitating towards that one specific person doing the thing. That felt great, and rewarding; though I was the guide, we didn't have a leader. We worked as a group... Except for phase 2, of course...

Went in spoiler-free my first run. It was neat enough, but success through working as a unit was much better. It's one thing for everyone to know the steps, another to pull them off with synchronicity, and without needing anyone to shout instructions...

The raid was a blast, no matter how you go into it. Heck, I was ready to go again with a new team mere minutes after our success.

I do understand - you have a good point.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:51 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

Cool. And as much as I want to try to figure everything out, I'm sure I'll reach a point where, after slamming my head into the same roadblock a dozen or more times without any progress, I'm going to hope there's someone like you on my team :)

-Disciple

Hah! I'll be there somewhere, waiting, watching...

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 11:58 (3517 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:04 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

You have a good point here...

But to counter point. When your raid wipes for an unknown reason for the 5th time because you're unaware of the mechanics of the fight? What do you do then?

You experiment. That's when the fun begins.

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:29 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

Don't see a lot of people talking about that. What hardware are you bringing to the table? That could be more important than skill level/class.

Right now, I'll crush enemies in CQB (exotic Striker helmet plus nearly leveled Invective with fully leveled Auto Rifle), and my Scout Rifle can two crit shot normal Vex if I need a ranged option.

Defender would be slightly more squishy, as my armor loadout for that isn't as high level as what my Striker wears.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:37 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So, its like college?

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:48 (3517 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Not sure honestly. I'm about to drop 20k Glimmer on some Ammo though

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 13:54 (3517 days ago) @ unoudid

Hells yes. Invective?

Also, allllllll the Heavy Weapon ammo cause brakka brakka.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 14:30 (3517 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

So, its like college?

Reminds me of something Louis Wu once said…

You've been waiting for a chance to use that

by Webshift1, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 14:50 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by telemachus, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 15:10 (3517 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I know everyone is trying to go in fresh... but is the cat out of the bag on which type of elemental damage to bring? Knowing that would help a lot.

BTW finally registered here, heavy lurker and infrequent poster on HBO.

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 15:13 (3517 days ago) @ telemachus

I know everyone is trying to go in fresh... but is the cat out of the bag on which type of elemental damage to bring? Knowing that would help a lot.

Void. It's not really a secret since you can see purple shields. Not really one of the puzzles you need to work out.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 15:20 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So, its like college?

Don't do that. I don't have time to be reading through old threads right now.

(MAN I put up with a lot of bullshit back in the day. Where'd I get all that patience? And more importantly... where'd it all go?)

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by telemachus, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 15:38 (3517 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol I know. The quest was for the spoiler free raid virgins. Did they know or want to know...

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 16:17 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1

I'm not gonna be able to swing Saturday, but whenever I do get into a group, I don't want anyone to be knowing what they're doing. I am expecting to fail, and I'm more than okay with that.

But mostly, I want to actually try to figure stuff out.

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 16:40 (3517 days ago) @ telemachus

Well, it's Vex and they like the void. Won't have a properly leveled void weapon by Saturday anyway. Make do!

Welcome, BTW.

Weapon/Armor loadouts

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 17:14 (3517 days ago) @ unoudid

Yep. Pre-raid (after making sure I don't need to do any armour/weapon upgrades) I'm blowing the bank on green and purple ammo cans. I figure the glimmer'll be raining in on the raid, and with a 25k cap there's no percentage in hoarding it.

-- Steve'll put that programmable matter to good use; ventilating Vex.

by Avateur @, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 17:46 (3517 days ago) @ Webshift1
edited by Avateur, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 17:52

I gotta disagree. Strategizing on the fly, working something out, failing, trying something new, and the togetherness that forms with your team as you're doing it makes for an unbeatable experience. Fate had us meet as friends, but this Vault will make us brothers.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 21:52 (3516 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So, its like college?

(MAN I put up with a lot of bullshit back in the day. Where'd I get all that patience? And more importantly... where'd it all go?)

I might have used a bit of it up over the years…

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 30, 2014, 22:11 (3516 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So, its like college?

I might have used a bit of it up over the years…

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread