Playing with others on Xbox One (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:16 (3516 days ago)

I haven’t tested this out completely (and I can’t at the moment) so much of it will be from memory. I find the intersection between the in-game interface and Xbox One interface lacking when it comes to joining people and talking with people.

I may be conflating some of what I see on the PS4 or the 360, but it seems that sometimes there’s a Destiny Join Fireteam option, sometimes there’s a Invite to Fireteam, and often there is neither. The little "Joinable" icon on player's emblems doesn't always seem to be an accurate predictor of the state of things. I could chalk that up to individuals’ set preferences or the kind of activity they’re in or whether they have room in their team, but I discovered that you can bypass the Destiny interface, choose View Gamer Profile (or whatever it’s called), and actually join them using the Xbox interface options. Last night, however, this stopped working for me.

It all may be a quirky thing related to who I tried to join, but I’ll say it’s not the smooth experience I’d like. Also, about inviting randoms, I did it several times during the beta and it seemed to work fine, however, now I'm rarely successful, and after getting a few invites, I can see why. If you don’t respond the second you get the invite (by talking to Kinect or I assume by pressing the white X), then you don’t join and poking around the options, I can’t find an invitation in my messages like you would get on the 360.

Don’t even get me started on Party chat, snap, and all that business. (I'm slowly "getting" it, but it's frustrating, too.)

Kermit

P.S. if you see me on the next few nights, please help me with the Queen's missions! I'd like to be able to play the raid on Saturday!

Playing with others on Xbox One

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:20 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll be looking for you!

by Webshift1, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:24 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I'll add you as well. I think I have 6 or 7 of those things left to complete.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:36 (3516 days ago) @ breitzen

You were one of those I couldn't join last night even though you had room on your fireteam, and were doing patrols. Later, I saw you were doing Queen stuff. D'oh!

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:53 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm not 100% on this, but even though there may be room in someone's fireteam, there may not be room in that "instance" of wherever they are. Now, if they're unjoinable in Orbit, there's something screwy goin on. Otherwise, I've found my theory to be a decent explanation.

ALSO, Re: Raid - Is anyone open to try it either Friday or Saturday night (or both, depending)? I just can't play at 9am; everyone is awake!! :P

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 07:27 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I've only played the beta version on XB1, but I had similar issues when I did. And I've never had any of these issues on the PS4.

- CC

Definitely not just you

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 07:49 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I may be conflating some of what I see on the PS4 or the 360, but it seems that sometimes there’s a Destiny Join Fireteam option, sometimes there’s a Invite to Fireteam, and often there is neither. The little "Joinable" icon on player's emblems doesn't always seem to be an accurate predictor of the state of things.

The Xbox One has some very strange behavior that I can only assume is attributable to the system's bizarre party handling requirements.

You're correct that the other three consoles have a "Join Fireteam" option when you inspect another player or pull up your Roster. Xbox One is a lot more convoluted. As you said, to do the same on XBO, you have to select the "View Gamercard" option, then when the (still ridiculously slow) Xbox interface pops up, select "Join" and then "Game". Given that XBO is the outlier here, I can only assume that Destiny is not allowed to have a simple "Join Fireteam" button due to some ill-conceived licensing requirement rather than any technical issue. It adds an awful amount of friction to what should be a routine operation.

The "Joinable" icon is indeed inconsistent at best. I've had several issues with this over the past couple of weeks, compounded by strange networking errors that prevent me from joining friends. I (admittedly) have played far less frequently on my 360, but I have yet to see a single networking/join error on the legacy system. When the joining process falls apart, I've only had two solutions that have worked: 1) Full shutdown/startup sequence—press white logo on front of the console for 10 seconds until it turns off, or 2) wait it out. I've had situations where my friends and I can't join each other for 10-15 minutes, and then it magically starts working again.

Don’t even get me started on Party chat, snap, and all that business. (I'm slowly "getting" it, but it's frustrating, too.)

Yeah.

Quick tip that you probably already know: When receiving an invitation, you can hold the white Xbox button until the controller vibrates (but not too much longer!) and the system will automatically accept the invitation and (attempt to) join you to the other person. When it works, it's pretty slick. But I've had it not work just as frequently. :-\

P.S. if you see me on the next few nights, please help me with the Queen's missions! I'd like to be able to play the raid on Saturday!

If you see me online, definitely hit me up!

Definitely not just you

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:13 (3516 days ago) @ Beorn

I may be conflating some of what I see on the PS4 or the 360, but it seems that sometimes there’s a Destiny Join Fireteam option, sometimes there’s a Invite to Fireteam, and often there is neither. The little "Joinable" icon on player's emblems doesn't always seem to be an accurate predictor of the state of things.

The Xbox One has some very strange behavior that I can only assume is attributable to the system's bizarre party handling requirements.

You're correct that the other three consoles have a "Join Fireteam" option when you inspect another player or pull up your Roster. Xbox One is a lot more convoluted. As you said, to do the same on XBO, you have to select the "View Gamercard" option, then when the (still ridiculously slow) Xbox interface pops up, select "Join" and then "Game". Given that XBO is the outlier here, I can only assume that Destiny is not allowed to have a simple "Join Fireteam" button due to some ill-conceived licensing requirement rather than any technical issue. It adds an awful amount of friction to what should be a routine operation.

The "Joinable" icon is indeed inconsistent at best. I've had several issues with this over the past couple of weeks, compounded by strange networking errors that prevent me from joining friends. I (admittedly) have played far less frequently on my 360, but I have yet to see a single networking/join error on the legacy system. When the joining process falls apart, I've only had two solutions that have worked: 1) Full shutdown/startup sequence—press white logo on front of the console for 10 seconds until it turns off, or 2) wait it out. I've had situations where my friends and I can't join each other for 10-15 minutes, and then it magically starts working again.

Yeah.

Party chat is weird, too. I've been in party of three where one person could hear others but not be heard. Could've been on mute, but that's happened to me, too. I think you can be there, but still not be in THE party chat.

Quick tip that you probably already know: When receiving an invitation, you can hold the white Xbox button until the controller vibrates (but not too much longer!) and the system will automatically accept the invitation and (attempt to) join you to the other person. When it works, it's pretty slick. But I've had it not work just as frequently. :-\

Yeah, it's tricky. I inevitably hold it too long and get prompted to shut down the Xbox. I really think this is why it's hard to invite randoms. By the time they ask themselves who the heck is Kermit, their chance to join up and have good times is gone. :) Even if they do hit the white button, they hold it too long. Too many opportunities for failure. Invitations should have a shelf life of longer than three seconds.

If you see me online, definitely hit me up!

I will!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:16 (3516 days ago) @ CaneCutter

I've only played the beta version on XB1, but I had similar issues when I did. And I've never had any of these issues on the PS4.

- CC

Yeah, at that point I think there were some legitimate bugs related to chat that have been fixed.

And about messaging ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:18 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

Can I say that I despise not being able to send voice messages without setting up Skype?

I've taken to having smart glass open and dictating messages using my phone.

Kermit, using slick technology to bypass unwanted slick technology for 50 years.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:20 (3516 days ago) @ CaneCutter

Cane,

The lady and I would love to play with you. I don't know your PSN tag, but feel free to add me

Revenant_1988

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:26 (3516 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Cane,

The lady and I would love to play with you. I don't know your PSN tag, but feel free to add me

Revenant_1988

Excellent! Friend request forthcoming.

- CC

Playing with others on PS4

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:41 (3516 days ago) @ CaneCutter

I'd love to play with you guys on PS4 too. I think I have you all on my friends list already anyway, but we haven't played together a whole lot.

Re: raid - I did it last night for the first time but was mostly sheep-like following the other guys, so I don't feel like I have it figured out. Would love to do it again soon with some people that are fairly new to it too.

(PSN ID: Guardian513)

Accepting Invites - An Answer

by Earendil, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 08:50 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

If you don’t respond the second you get the invite (by talking to Kinect or I assume by pressing the white X), then you don’t join and poking around the options, I can’t find an invitation in my messages like you would get on the 360.

I only have one answer for you, but it's an answer!

Upon getting an invite, if you fail to hold the bit white X button the nanosecond after getting the invite, there is another way.

1. Tap the white XBox button to get to the dashboard.
2. In the upper left corner there are two small menus on screen. Click the right most one with your XBL icon on it.
3. You should see a list of pending invitations. Simply selecting the invite with "A" will auto-join the fireteam.

That processes has worked for me 4-5 minutes after getting the invite. Now, if the fireteam that invited you jumps into a strike where they are given a rando, thus filling the fireteam, your joining will fail.

Accepting Invites - An Answer

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 09:23 (3516 days ago) @ Earendil

If you don’t respond the second you get the invite (by talking to Kinect or I assume by pressing the white X), then you don’t join and poking around the options, I can’t find an invitation in my messages like you would get on the 360.

I only have one answer for you, but it's an answer!

Upon getting an invite, if you fail to hold the bit white X button the nanosecond after getting the invite, there is another way.

1. Tap the white XBox button to get to the dashboard.
2. In the upper left corner there are two small menus on screen. Click the right most one with your XBL icon on it.
3. You should see a list of pending invitations. Simply selecting the invite with "A" will auto-join the fireteam.

That processes has worked for me 4-5 minutes after getting the invite. Now, if the fireteam that invited you jumps into a strike where they are given a rando, thus filling the fireteam, your joining will fail.

Awesome info! Thanks. The 360 has trained me to look in my messages.

Ah, so that's what I was missing...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 10:15 (3516 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 14:12 (3516 days ago) @ Kermit

I thought I saw an invite from you. But when I checked my roster you I weren't on it.
I've noticed this with a couple others (Xenos and Mid7night) that you show up in my Friends or Party app but Destiny doesn't think you even exist!

Definitely not just you

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:52 (3515 days ago) @ Kermit

Party chat is weird, too. I've been in party of three where one person could hear others but not be heard. Could've been on mute, but that's happened to me, too. I think you can be there, but still not be in THE party chat.

What i've noticed from my experience is that when you join a party it will then snap the party to your screen. If you unsnap it before it fully loads, then it leaves you in "Game chat."

I think this might have happened to you the other night when you joined us. If you snap the party and click on your name it will say "go to party chat" if you are already in party chat it will say "go to game chat"

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread