Kotaku's in-depth look at the Crucible (Destiny)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 11:37 (3505 days ago)

Though it's not an exhaustive treatise, this article (by a game critic and teacher of game design) has a deeper analysis of Destiny's multiplayer than any I've yet seen.

-- Steve thinks it touches on a couple of the reasons he doesn't much like the PvP in Destiny.

I don't know how I feel about Crucible

by HavokBlue, California, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 13:29 (3505 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I've played a lot of it, and I enjoy myself, but I'm not sure if it's because I enjoy doing well, or if I enjoy the gameplay itself.

I agree with the writer's feelings about the maps. I've learned the layouts and little tricks at this point, but with the exception of the Mercury map, I feel like they're largely forgettable and full of awkward geometry that isn't conducive to tight, polished multiplayer gameplay.

I don't know how I feel about Crucible - This

by yakaman, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:55 (3504 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I've played a lot of it, and I enjoy myself, but I'm not sure if it's because I enjoy doing well, or if I enjoy the gameplay itself.

I hated Crucible, then I got a little bit better, and then I liked Crucible more.

I tolerated Crucible and had a middling run and decided I could only tolerate Crucible.

I was ambivalent to Crucible and had a great run and decided Crucible wasn't so bad after all.

Uh, I honestly can't say what the objective truth is.

My problems with the Crucible

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 08:30 (3504 days ago) @ yakaman

• The Crucible does not reward the same style of play as in story and strike missions. (Arguably the Crucible punishes the more deliberate "small bites" playstyle I prefer.)

• Combat in the Crucible is so fast-paced that an encounter is over before I can really absorb the context; it's very hard for me to learn as a result.

• I have real trouble with target discrimination; opposing forces don't have a distinctive silhouette or colour scheme, I have to look for a bipedal form that *doesn't* have an insignia over its head. It's not a long delay, but with the fast pace of Crucible combat it's often enough to cost me my shield and thus the engagement.

• Because of the above I rarely live long enough to explore (and learn) the maps. I never feel I have time to find my way around, and I keep encountering nasty surprises.

• Related to the above, I can't set a private match to just poke around and learn the map in advance. Spending time exploring means effectively shorting my team, which is not a way to win friends and influence people.

• I think there's something wrong with the matching; admittedly I've only played 4 matches, but in all of them the side I was on was crushed with ~5000-point spreads. I always felt like I was a drag on the team.

• Without inter-player communication it's hard to coordinate a team, or even to get tips on play.

• I've grown to despise Lord Shaxx's "more in sorrow than in anger" post-game narratives; it's petty, I admit, but it feels like the game is rubbing my nose in every loss and that's no way to win me over.

Maybe my issues would resolve with more practice, but when other aspects of the game are so much more enjoyable for me I don't see any reason to "grind" through.

-- Steve enjoys the patrol mini-missions more than the Crucible. This is not intended as high praise for the mini-missions.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, October 02, 2014, 13:18 (3504 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

You summed up my problems with crucible perfectly. I die at about the same time I realize I'm getting hit, I don't know the maps & can't explore them w/o screwing my team over..

And finally, why am I matched up against people so much better than me? Perhaps I just need to play more so I can be placed with other noobs who've stuck it out long enough to have their ranking drop.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 13:22 (3504 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

[*]I have real trouble with target discrimination; opposing forces don't have a distinctive silhouette or colour scheme, I have to look for a bipedal form that *doesn't* have an insignia over its head. It's not a long delay, but with the fast pace of Crucible combat it's often enough to cost me my shield and thus the engagement.

Shoot first and ask questions later. There is no Friendly Fire in Destiny so if you see another Guardian and don't have time to do Friend or Foe discrimination just let 'er rip.

Otherwise, pay close attention to that radar: allies are always green/blue dots and red sectors means enemies nearby.

[*]I think there's something wrong with the matching; admittedly I've only played 4 matches, but in all of them the side I was on was crushed with ~5000-point spreads. I always felt like I was a drag on the team.

Point difference doesn't always mean much. Especially when a team gets map control and grabs every heavy ammo spawn.

Maybe my issues would resolve with more practice, but when other aspects of the game are so much more enjoyable for me I don't see any reason to "grind" through.

Crucible went through several peaks and lows for me before I really got a handle on what was going on. Now I'm pretty comfortable with it in general.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 13:34 (3504 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

[*]I've grown to despise Lord Shaxx's "more in sorrow than in anger" post-game narratives; it's petty, I admit, but it feels like the game is rubbing my nose in every loss and that's no way to win me over.

Shaxx is a bit of an ass. Last night, while passing him on the way to the Vanguards, he yells out "Guardian! Step up!" in such an alpha-male gym-teacher tone I involuntarily recoiled. As you may have guessed, my time in school was not a highlight.

Props to the voice actor, honestly. Haha.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 13:44 (3504 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

In December I really want them to change his line near the end of a game to "Show them the true meaning of Christmas".

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:03 (3504 days ago) @ bluerunner

In December I really want them to change his line near the end of a game to "Show them the true meaning of Christmas".

I'd rather he say "Air those Grievances Guardians! Happy Festivus!"

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 16:15 (3504 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Shaxx is a bit of an ass. Last night, while passing him on the way to the Vanguards, he yells out "Guardian! Step up!" in such an alpha-male gym-teacher tone I involuntarily recoiled. As you may have guessed, my time in school was not a highlight.

While everyone was looking for a chance to shiv the Cryptarch, I was trying to find a way for my gun's safety to tragically slip while I was walking past Shaxx...

Props to the voice actor, honestly. Haha.

Indeed.

-- Steve wonders if he's supposed to have that reaction of visceral loathing, or if he's bringing a few steamer trunks of personal baggage into his interpretation of the character.

by yakaman, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 15:11 (3504 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

• The Crucible does not reward the same style of play as in story and strike missions. (Arguably the Crucible punishes the more deliberate "small bites" playstyle I prefer.)

• Combat in the Crucible is so fast-paced that an encounter is over before I can really absorb the context; it's very hard for me to learn as a result.

Yes, this very much so. I have very little opinion of what an encounter is like, other than "fast". No epic skirmishes here, just kill or die. There's no...personality? to the fighting.

[*]I have real trouble with target discrimination; opposing forces don't have a distinctive silhouette or colour scheme, I have to look for a bipedal form that *doesn't* have an insignia over its head. It's not a long delay, but with the fast pace of Crucible combat it's often enough to cost me my shield and thus the engagement.

Me as well. Apologies to the teammates I've phantom melee'd or grenade-ed. Better safe than sorry.

[*]Because of the above I rarely live long enough to explore (and learn) the maps. I never feel I have time to find my way around, and I keep encountering nasty surprises.

My mantra:
- Play Control
- Find a protected Control area
- Back to wall
- Wait for radar approach
- Spam grenade, melee, fusion rifle
- Whenever possible, camp the living hell out of heavy ammo drops
- Sacrifice chicken to the god of netcode
- Sacrifice calf to the goddess of latency
- Avoid looking in mirror or otherwise owning up to the kind of player that makes me

[*]Related to the above, I can't set a private match to just poke around and learn the map in advance. Spending time exploring means effectively shorting my team, which is not a way to win friends and influence people.

[*]I think there's something wrong with the matching; admittedly I've only played 4 matches, but in all of them the side I was on was crushed with ~5000-point spreads. I always felt like I was a drag on the team.

[*]Without inter-player communication it's hard to coordinate a team, or even to get tips on play.

To a point - but have you mic-ed with Halo (or any) randoms lately? I'm sorry, but I put no faith in the online community. Too toxic.

[*]I've grown to despise Lord Shaxx's "more in sorrow than in anger" post-game narratives; it's petty, I admit, but it feels like the game is rubbing my nose in every loss and that's no way to win me over.
[/list]

Yes - I think this is what I was working towards. The best reason to play Crucible is to fulfill bounties or get random rewards. Not awesome.

-- Steve enjoys the patrol mini-missions more than the Crucible. This is not intended as high praise for the mini-missions.

Huh?

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 17:04 (3505 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Felt like he was rambling a lot. I'm not sure I really understand what he was trying to say.

Welcome to Kotaku.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 17:53 (3505 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Laugh. Then... Laugh some more. *NM*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 18:10 (3505 days ago) @ RC

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread