Exo Stranger's statement at the Ishtar Sink (maybe spoilers) (Destiny)

by telemachus, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:12 (3504 days ago)

To player character:
"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"

Garbled radio chatter
Turns head away:
"I will! I will!"

Could this piece of dialogue be more aimed at the player holding the controller rather than the player character? Yes, it fits in with the context of the scene, the Stanger disappearing in a rush.

There seems to be a general consensus (am I right about this?) that something didn't go quite as planned with the story in relation to Destiny's development. No one know's the circumstances or the details but the relative polish of the gameplay mechanics vs the story don't quite jive.

Could this seemingly odd line be self referential to their situation leading up to launch, and the "I will! I will" be an emphatic promise to deliver on explanation of the story and everyone's motivations over time?

Exo Stranger's statement at the Ishtar Sink (maybe spoilers)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:18 (3504 days ago) @ telemachus

To player character:
"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"

Garbled radio chatter
Turns head away:
"I will! I will!"

Could this piece of dialogue be more aimed at the player holding the controller rather than the player character? Yes, it fits in with the context of the scene, the Stanger disappearing in a rush.

There seems to be a general consensus (am I right about this?) that something didn't go quite as planned with the story in relation to Destiny's development. No one know's the circumstances or the details but the relative polish of the gameplay mechanics vs the story don't quite jive.

Could this seemingly odd line be self referential to their situation leading up to launch, and the "I will! I will" be an emphatic promise to deliver on explanation of the story and everyone's motivations over time?

I think that's a bit of a stretch, but many times the story deliberately raises questions to be resolved later. This is definitely one of those times.

by telemachus, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:23 (3504 days ago) @ Kermit

No doubt it's a stretch... The thought occurred to me while playing through Daily Heroic this morning.

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, October 03, 2014, 02:36 (3504 days ago) @ Kermit

While I'm not sold on the validity of that reddit post about the development, I kind of feel like each race and/or class was supposed to get specific story elements, so where that Titan on Venus is asking himself where the Stranger is going, maybe the Warlock fighting on a ruined ship near the Reef was just meeting up with her.

by Hyokin, New York, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 08:38 (3504 days ago) @ telemachus

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, October 03, 2014, 05:45 (3503 days ago) @ telemachus

I think there's a general consensus that with regards to storytelling, Destiny is almost certainly quite different, and in the minds of many, not quite as good as the best parts of the Halo series (although which ones you think are best differ).

I think there's a general consensus on Reddit that Bungie are lying jerks who stole our bibles and shot our dogs.

I'll probably write at length about this at some point, but I do believe that the differing aims of Destiny's design put it at odds with the traditional model established by Halo, with a feature-length, linear story presented in cutscenes punctuated by long action sequences directed by the player who controls the story's protagonist. At some times, Destiny seems to want to ape this, and at others, it seems to want to distance itself from this. Whether this is because the game's nature is at conflict with itself, or because there were conflicting viewpoints amongst its developers, I don't think I can really guess.

Reddit seems to think that Joe Staten's departure very late in the game's development cycle somehow caused a huge disruption, not just to writing but to lots of other areas, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

I think we're going to get a story that's broader but less deep, and spread out more between sequels and DLC, with less focus (but not eliminated focus) on a single heroic protagonist.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 03, 2014, 09:58 (3503 days ago) @ narcogen

I'll probably write at length about this at some point, but I do believe that the differing aims of Destiny's design put it at odds with the traditional model established by Halo, with a feature-length, linear story presented in cutscenes punctuated by long action sequences directed by the player who controls the story's protagonist.

Plenty of games tell you a great story without being structured like Halo. With all the examples out there, it's hard to believe Bungie could fail when successes already abound. The only explanation that would reasonably explain the debacle would be a revamp of the story for various reasons. This is supported by my personal conversations with a few folks who work and worked on Destiny.

The only thing I know for certain is that a lot of story stuff was written and redone close to when the game had to ship. By that I mean in the past 8 months. WHY is completely up for debate and speculation.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread