How much do you expect you'll pay for DLC? (Destiny)

by Jillybean, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:23 (3504 days ago)

I'm curious about this - how much are you willing to pay for the next part of Destiny?

For me, I'll be waiting until I see other people play it to make my decision. I don't see myself paying over £7.00

How much do you expect you'll pay for DLC?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:31 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

For me, I'll be waiting until I see other people play it to make my decision. I don't see myself paying over £7.00

Too bad it is nearly twice that FOR EACH ONE.

For me, it really depends entirely on how many new raids there are, and if they are cool or not. If as cool as the Vault of Glass, I wouldn't be able to resist.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:51 (3504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For me, it really depends entirely on how many new raids there are

Haven't they already said that there will be at least 2 - one in each Expansion?

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 20:13 (3504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just to clarify, what Cody means is that they're $20 U.S.

I expect to pay exactly what it cost

by Webshift1, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:42 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

Mainly because I've already pre-ordered it, but because I can't accurately set a value to the time and effort that bungie puts into the content that they release. While I may feel that something should have more content or that I'm not getting my money's worth, it's not up to me. I will pay what they charge because I enjoy the playing the game, and I like having more content.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:49 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

I bought the Limited Editon, so I'm getting the first two for "no additional charge."

As for what I would pay, that'd depend upon what's in them; if it really is what the glitch/leak indicated, each DLC having 4-5 story missions plus a strike and a raid, I'd easily pay $10 apiece. ($15 each and I'd wait for the reviews. $30 each and I'd probably forego the pleasure.)

-- Steve is certainly interested in seeing how they turn out and doesn't begrudge the extra money spent on the LE set.

$15 cdn

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 14:59 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

by Avateur @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 17:57 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

For me, I'll be waiting until I see other people play it to make my decision.

This. If I'm proven wrong in my worries and the stuff looks good, sure, why not? I'll buy that first expansion. I mean yeah that's $20, but apparently I get a new Raid out of it. So, assuming I end up purchasing this whole thing and the whole package is awesome, then sure, why not the second expansion? $20 should provide a lot of content, especially when Activision was ripping people off for not even a handful of CoD maps for $15 a few years back (and maybe still are?). No time for that nonsense.

Better question:

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 18:23 (3504 days ago) @ Jillybean

Has Bungie ever released DLC that wasn't worth it?

Better question:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 18:33 (3504 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Cold Storage.

Better question:

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 18:43 (3504 days ago) @ uberfoop

Cold Storage.

You mean...the free one? That's cold.

haha it's funny because Cold Storage's setting was freezing

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 19:34 (3504 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Better question:

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 03, 2014, 06:17 (3503 days ago) @ uberfoop

Cold Storage.

I hate you.

Better question:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 18:38 (3504 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I don't think ANY Bungie DLC so far has been worth it. But then again, the last one I bought was the Halo 3 Legendary map pack.

Better question:

by Jillybean, Friday, October 03, 2014, 02:01 (3504 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes precisely. I don't think I've ever bought bungee dlc because I don't play mulitiplayer.

In addition I'm not convinced destiny is worth what I paid for it and the dlc really has to grab me.

Better question:

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 03, 2014, 06:17 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

Yes precisely. I don't think I've ever bought bungee dlc because I don't play mulitiplayer.

In addition I'm not convinced destiny is worth what I paid for it and the dlc really has to grab me.

You bought ODST didn't you? :P

Sure, it wasn't a download, but it was a pretty damn good $60 expansion!

Better question:

by Jillybean, Friday, October 03, 2014, 06:46 (3503 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I appreciate this was a joke but I actually get quite worked up about this comparison as odst is the best game ever shut your whore mouth

Better question:

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:02 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

I appreciate this was a joke but I actually get quite worked up about this comparison as odst is the best game ever shut your whore mouth

I will give you that ODST is the best working build of Destiny to date-

It's pretty odd that a studio's pre-alpha would be better than it's consumer release :D

Also, Halo 4 is still the best CoD I've ever played.

*runs away*

Better question:

by Jillybean, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:35 (3503 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Halo 4 may well be the best cod.I enjoy neither it has to be said.

But then I still do like and enjoy Reach quite a bit. I do get the idea that maybe I'm not the target audience for this whole mmo palava

ODST levels of story and ambience = big shoes to fill.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:08 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

Better question:

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 03, 2014, 09:22 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

If I were 20 years younger I'd drop to one knee right now.

I used to be a Kermit like you...

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, October 03, 2014, 11:31 (3503 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Better question:

by Monochron, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:21 (3503 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Past Bungie, filled with the likes of Staten, Mary, and other quality employees generally did a bang up job of releasing good PvE maps. That statement probably sounds odd so let me explain.

First, Bungie's previous DLC successes have been in releasing new multiplayer maps. They put a lot of effort into designing them and release pretty good new ones. They are trying something completely different with this new DLC however, including Strikes, Raids, and Story missions. They haven't done that before (especially trying to integrate story) so I'm skeptical.

Second, Destiny disappointed me in a way that previous Bungie games never did. I'm not going to attribute that solely to the loss of a couple employees, that would be stupid, but to me there is a clear and disheartening difference between the games Bungie makes now and the games they have made for the past 20ish years. I see it like this, the only evidence of the quality of game that Bungie is currently making is Destiny. There are many aspects of Destiny that disappoint me a lot. It isn't far fetched to assume that Bungie will continue to make games that disappoint me in similar ways. Until they prove me wrong by releasing things that don't disappoint me in that way, I won't be interested.

That last paragraph isn't trying to argue for the objective good-ness of the game. Just saying that to the best of my knowledge, Destiny is a game that will continue to disappoint me. And thus, it isn't for me. Bungie hasn't communicated any issues with Destiny's development ala Halo 2.

Better question:

by Earendil, Friday, October 03, 2014, 10:00 (3503 days ago) @ Monochron

Just saying that to the best of my knowledge, Destiny is a game that will continue to disappoint me. And thus, it isn't for me. Bungie hasn't communicated any issues with Destiny's development ala Halo 2.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Bungie didn't admit to Halo 2 issues until near or after Halo 3's release. They certainly didn't come out a month later and admit to anything. Bungie might be willing to talk about things in the future, but right now they are trying to let the game stand on it's own merits, not cloud things by publicizing what they think are their own failures. Which is a good thing. While I'd like to know what happened, I wouldn't want to wish the media frenzy that would result on them or anything right now.

Better question:

by Monochron, Friday, October 03, 2014, 13:28 (3503 days ago) @ Earendil

Just saying that to the best of my knowledge, Destiny is a game that will continue to disappoint me. And thus, it isn't for me. Bungie hasn't communicated any issues with Destiny's development ala Halo 2.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure Bungie didn't admit to Halo 2 issues until near or after Halo 3's release. They certainly didn't come out a month later and admit to anything. Bungie might be willing to talk about things in the future, but right now they are trying to let the game stand on it's own merits, not cloud things by publicizing what they think are their own failures. Which is a good thing. While I'd like to know what happened, I wouldn't want to wish the media frenzy that would result on them or anything right now.

Yeah I don't remember the exact time frame for all that. As it is now, like you said, they haven't said anything. Therefore I don't have any evidence either way. Once new evidence comes up, I may change my beliefs. Delivering one disappointing thing is evidence enough on its own though.

I'm waiting, because this could be the first time.

by Jabberwok, Friday, October 03, 2014, 14:54 (3503 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

Whatever it costs.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, October 03, 2014, 05:34 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'm thrilled with the game. Ever since that fateful comparison was made to Borderlands in a pre-launch interview, that was the model I came to expect. I think the only way I'll truly be let down is if there isn't enough new ground to cover. I expect a fair dose of content across the board, but I am the most hopeful about new story content/cutscenes. Time will tell.

~m

Probably max $5 right now.

by Monochron, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:08 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

Which likely means that I won't get it.

Basically, if it is as cheap as $5, then why not? But if it is just more strikes/raids/story-less missions then I'm just not that interested in playing it.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, October 03, 2014, 07:42 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

I got the Legendary edition, so I already payed for the expansions. Probably not going to opt for any of the other DLC that I think is supposed to happen, though, but that's just a money issue.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 03, 2014, 08:07 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'm curious about this - how much are you willing to pay for the next part of Destiny?

$20 for a 2-hour sidestory DLC in The Last of Us. Great time, money well spent.
$10 for a 5-hour campaign DLC in Bioshock 2. Great time, money well spent.
$30 for 30-hour multi-campaign DLC in Borderlands 2. Great time, money well spent.

What I expect to get out of a game is what matters far more than what price tag comes attached to it. I enjoy Destiny, and I'm eager to see where it goes in the future. Bungie has made an excellent foundation, and I'll definitely be playing this for a good while, so I'll gladly scoop up expansions on it.

On the flipside, I loved Halo 4 at launch, and picked up a season pass for it right away, which I ultimately ended up greatly regretting after the game became crap. Though it wasn't much, it bothers me to this day; 343 didn't deserve my money for that crap DLC...

Somewhere around $5.

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, October 03, 2014, 11:27 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

I like Destiny, but I don't really expect a lot of greatness to come from the DLC.

If it ends up being things(like plot) that should've been in the main game, I am going to be less likely to buy it. I don't have a lot of income and the game itself put us behind on bills as it is... I literally cannot afford to keep buying bits and pieces to get the complete picture.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, October 03, 2014, 22:18 (3503 days ago) @ Jillybean

If it adds to the game in a substantial and enjoyable way and doesn't feel like a can that was kicked down the road for three months so it could be DLC instead of on the disk or in a patch, and if it's less than $40 and probably more like less than $35, and if I have time to play it, I'll pay whatever it costs, and I'll save up if I can't get it right away. If it doesn't meet those criteria or if I won't have the time in the next ten months or so to actually play it regardless, I won't buy it, unless it's like $5 or gets that cheap at some point.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Sunday, October 05, 2014, 06:46 (3501 days ago) @ Jillybean

$0

I'm not picking up the DLC. Notable exception might be if it was made free.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread