Destiny Story Speculation

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:05 (4084 days ago)

I'll start us off then.

I think Destiny is going to be about a group of interconnected people - Bungie's games have had growing numbers of cast members of late. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another ODST type thing, jumping between different characters, or even another Arbiter character - playing as the supposed villain so to speak.

I really want a more complex conflict, like we saw in Halo 2 and ODST, something more than the basic 'humans vs aliens and humans are always right' that we get so much of.

Abusive maternal figures? A Miranda-esque betrayer? Any strapping on of bombs? I'm not sure if we'll see a recurrence of these themes as they seemed to be dropping out of the Halo games as they continued.

What do you think?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:16 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'm thinking a big part of the story is going to revolve around the three "factions" that have been speculated (New Monarchy, Dead Orbit, FWC).

Now whether players will choose a faction and play with/against the other factions is the big question for me. If they are factions, could all three be player-populated, or would the "third" faction be controlled by the computer (perhaps to maintain game balance).

In many ways, I'd prefer to have three player factions so that you would constantly be making strategic decisions to work together with one faction while working against the other.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:25 (4084 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Weren't there more factions hinted at?

But yeah, I liked the idea of having an extra non-playable faction to maintain balance.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:26 (4084 days ago) @ ZackDark

there may have been 5 factions... or maybe 7?

But I could only think of those three...

Destiny: CONSOLE PLANETSIDE? *NM*

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:56 (4084 days ago) @ JDQuackers

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 12:44 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another ODST type thing, jumping between different characters, or even another Arbiter character - playing as the supposed villain so to speak.

The leaked different factions suggests to me that there won't necessarily be villains as such, but rather each faction has its own morally ambiguous positives and negatives, alliances and enmities. I like the idea of an ensemble cast of major characters spread amongst these — the Arbiter in particular made for a very interesting protagonist, so more of that would certainly be welcome.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:01 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

The only thing that I am (mildly) worried about is it being TOO MMOesque. I've never been enamored by the MMO platform for story-telling and character development. I hope it still has the strong story and cinematic feel that past Bungie games have enjoyed. I'm not terribly worried, being a die-hard long-time Bungie fanboy. But it is a concern that I have.

by minasodaboy ⌂ @, Madison, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:14 (4084 days ago) @ Xenos

It is hard to even think about the mechanics of the storytelling when we don't even know what the game is yet.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 17:06 (4084 days ago) @ minasodaboy

It is hard to even think about the mechanics of the storytelling when we don't even know what the game is yet.

Very true.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 13:56 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

Abusive maternal figures? A Miranda-esque betrayer? Any strapping on of bombs? I'm not sure if we'll see a recurrence of these themes as they seemed to be dropping out of the Halo games as they continued.

What do you think?

I would wager that the main character is female, or at least identifies as female. I don't know why, I just have this feeling.

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:00 (4084 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of character customisation

Me too

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:03 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

Yea I really have a feeling you're going to have a lot of customization when it comes to your character. It will be interesting to see how they handle it if they do too.

Same

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:24 (4084 days ago) @ PsychoRaven

Yea I really have a feeling you're going to have a lot of customization when it comes to your character. It will be interesting to see how they handle it if they do too.

What if the "main" character is just ourselves, interacting in a larger world. Rather than all of us playing as one person (Master Chief, the Security Officer, etc.), it might be more like World of Warcraft, where we are simply our own character moving through the world.

Also, it would appear that I was COMPLETELY wrong about my assumption for the announcement date, and couldn't be happier about it!

Same

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:40 (4084 days ago) @ Beorn

Exactly. It would be cool as hell if done right and we all know that if anyone can do it, then Bungie can.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:04 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of character customisation

We went from a male but personality-neutral protagonist, to an unknown gender (but assumed male?) and even-more-so personality neutral protagonist, to an explicitly neutral-gender and also neutral-personality protagonist.

I'd say that trajectory is a statement of intent.

by Jillybean, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 14:08 (4084 days ago) @ kapowaz

I have loved every player character more than the last. Rookie and Six are great player characters for FPS.

Whether or not Destiny will need that kind of character or will need a fully customisable character remains to be seen ...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:48 (4084 days ago) @ kapowaz

Species neutral, next?

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 15:16 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

I agree on the customization. Bungie gave the players their own personality with Noble 6 in the main campaign of Halo: Reach. Customization was visible everywhere. So I am expecting it to see in Destiny as well. Worried how the story will be told if it is really a MMO-like game but I don't see it as one. Sunday will be interesting.

Destiny Story Speculation - What is the ARG telling us?

by WestCoastRonin ⌂, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:31 (4084 days ago) @ Jillybean

So it looks like each day's piece of the Alpha Lupi ARG is falling into a puzzle that resembles a model of the Ptolemaic System, also known as the geocentric model. I think this (and the ARG as a whole) may be speaking to the story of Destiny.

In the Ptolemaic System, the earth is at the center of the universe. We now know that model is incorrect, and that the sun is at the center of our solar system, but for over 1500 years in our history, humans thought of themselves as being the center of the universe.

What if, in Destiny, humans on earth once again believe in the geocentric model of the universe? That everything revolves around them? It would in fact signal a step backwards in the scientific understanding of the human race. A fall from the Golden Age. We can look back in history and see a similar time when this occurred. Ancient Rome reached the height of art, science, and human engineering during its reign as the world superpower. But when Rome fell and Europe moved into the Dark Ages, it signaled the cultural devolution of knowledge. In fact, the people living during Medieval times looked at the architecture and culture of Rome and had no knowledge of how it was made, and they lacked the ability to recreate the same marvels that the Romans had. That is why the Renaissance was so significant. Renaissance means rebirth. And it was the age in history when Europeans once again began discovering the skill and culture of the Ancient Romans, catching up, and finally advancing.

I'm not saying that Destiny is going to be an analogy of this Middle Ages to Renaissance arc, but what if it is inspired by it? What if there are ruins and vestiges of Man's greatness spread across earth and the galaxy, but the people no longer know how it got there or how to recreate it? What if the ARG is also giving us a hint about gameplay setting with its geocentric model--that Destiny will take place on earth and earth only (at least the first game). Perhaps the human race has lost its space-faring technology and must discover it again. Or they may have the technology of their forebears, but do not fully understand it.

This would set up a great story arc of discovery, of finding lost knowledge and attempting to get the human race back on track. A quest to rediscover where we have been as a race, and finally get where we should be going, in order to find our destiny.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 16:45 (4084 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Maybe it's not we think of ourselves as the center of the universe again, but maybe it's another 'Great Demotion.' Not only are we a know nothing civilization on a galactic backwater, but perhaps have no say in our destiny either. The presence of the Protector (right name, right?) seems to be the only thing keeping us from extinction at the hands of whatever kicked our ass to begin with, after all.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:28 (4083 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Maybe it's not we think of ourselves as the center of the universe again, but maybe it's another 'Great Demotion.' Not only are we a know nothing civilization on a galactic backwater, but perhaps have no say in our destiny either. The presence of the Protector (right name, right?) seems to be the only thing keeping us from extinction at the hands of whatever kicked our ass to begin with, after all.

Or the Protector is a Big Brother type of entity, and they're the ones that "devolved" us and have convinced us that they are here to protect us. Keeping earth humans under their thumb for some ulterior motive. And we, as knights, know the truth and are out to discover more of the truth/educate the remaining populace or trying to leave to find help from other humans/races in the galaxy.

- CC This is fun.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 21:13 (4083 days ago) @ CaneCutter

Or the Protector is a Big Brother type of entity, and they're the ones that "devolved" us and have convinced us that they are here to protect us. Keeping earth humans under their thumb for some ulterior motive. And we, as knights, know the truth and are out to discover more of the truth/educate the remaining populace or trying to leave to find help from other humans/races in the galaxy.

- CC This is fun.

Given the way The Traveler (if that's its real name :p) is pretty beat up looking I imagine it as a very powerful force, perhaps some sort of left over Human warship / station from back when mankind ruled the stars. And now it has returned home, likely on it's own, perhaps controlled by an AI. I think of it as too battered to safeguard the entirety of Earth at once, thus giving us managableish groups of enemies to fight, but still a hugely powerful force to be reckoned with that is capable of protecting the Earth against a major attack.

Think the Titan from Titan AE but a military ship instead of a world building one. Destiny would then be about these varied Human groups on Earth rediscovering their past and reclaiming their… wait for it… Destiny.

Through boldness to the stars!

by Jillybean, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 02:29 (4083 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well, The Culture novels are an influence on Bungie's work. Careful now, you're going to make me disappointed when all this turns out wrong.

I like this post.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 19:41 (4083 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Your ideas may prove to be wrong, but they're intriguing.

by Chaos, Burlington, Vermont, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 20:47 (4083 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

I really enjoy your thoughts! I think this concept of a futuristic devotion is brilliant, and I have confidence that Destiny might follow that. Fantastic speculation!

by Jillybean, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 02:28 (4083 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Alexandria after the fire perhaps? I really like this idea, a LOT

Destiny Story Speculation - Say No to Devo

by Slightly Live ⌂, UK, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 03:38 (4083 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Whilst it's far too early to begin any serious speculation about Destiny's story, this notion of Humanity somehow screwing up and forgetting basic science is just unsettling.

We know that we're be planet hopping in Destiny. We know that Humanity in Destiny knows that it isn't the only life in the universe, we're not alone. Just going by those bits of information, the notion that Humanity literally would believe they/ the Earth is/are the physical centre of the universe is not even remotely believable. But with the universe closing in around Humanity, it seems entirely reasonable then that folks start thinking that Humanity/Earth is the centre of the universe (not literally).

The ruins of mankind's golden age - it seems something very sudden caused this golden age to end - what happened? Was it an event or a series or events? Did we cause it or did something or someone else cause it? And how is it linked to the current status quo?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 06:58 (4083 days ago) @ Slightly Live

We know that we're be planet hopping in Destiny.

We do?

I was hoping I wasn't the only one confused by that *NM*

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 07:02 (4083 days ago) @ Ragashingo

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:16 (4083 days ago) @ Ragashingo

We do?

Yeah, I don't think we know that yet.

^ Spoiler!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:38 (4083 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

We do?

Yet? Oh no! Have I been spoiled already!? Knew I should have gone dark.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 11:42 (4083 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

We do?

Well, if we're supposed to be reclaiming the lost glory of Humanity's former interplanetary empire, I'd say that planet-hopping of one sort or another is almost guaranteed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 11:52 (4083 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

In Destiny 2 maybe.

I imagine the first game ending after you fight the last of the elite enemy strike force away from the Traveler. You, in cutscenes, cautiously approach the long sealed door and enter the access card you obtained mid game. The door groans and begins to slowly open partially revealing a bright white interior. Before you can make anything out the white brightens and whites out the screen. The credits role.

Bouns points if someone on your side recently mentioned finishing a fight. :p

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 09:20 (4083 days ago) @ WestCoastRonin

Mostly I just love the idea of playing as part of this order of knights set on reclaiming the old ways to save humanity from its disrepair. The concept alone already has me invested in the world, without even knowing the full extent of the story.

Another Destiny Story Speculation

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:47 (4083 days ago) @ Jillybean

Just sparked by a Twitter conversation with unindicted co-conspirators (who may name themselves later):

Yesterday's squib on the image talked a lot about voices; how ours (human?) "flows across the red rock... speaking in code and goads". So did Monday's pay-off graphic, more extensively:

The best voices--voices that truly matter--never allow themselves be heard. This
lesson is worth
learning again and again.

Forever.

Your voice moves as whispers, murmurs and urges
inside larger winds. Only the trusted few can absorb
what is necessary. Wise and sly and perfect, your
instructions drop, leaving nothing but the hard sweet
rime of enlightenment.

The path is set. Your voice is unleashed. Except now it is gone...

And maybe it never was.

Even earlier, the instructions graphic talks about receiving, or hearing, the calls of radio signals.

Remember the role of the Apocalypto in the I Love Bees ARG for Halo 2? It was supposed to be laying radio-jammer buoys so that the Covenant couldn't find Earth by its old radio transmissions. Or, in the Destiny ARG's terms, so that the "voices never allow themselves to be heard, a lesson worth learning again and again."

Destiny promo stuff mentioned that it takes place on an Earth where high-energy civilization is endangered... perhaps it's endangered by beings hostile to us, drawn by our old RADAR signals and TV broadcasts?

-- Steve's wondering if Bungie's exploring the Fermi Paradox here.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:51 (4083 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I just thought I'd let you know that I love your speculation here and at ABO.

Thanks! *NM*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 11:09 (4083 days ago) @ Avateur

This

by petetheduck, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:54 (4083 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Destiny promo stuff mentioned that it takes place on an Earth where high-energy civilization is endangered... perhaps it's endangered by beings hostile to us, drawn by our old RADAR signals and TV broadcasts?

My current hypothesis is that these messages are from the perspective of the Traveler (which we aren't supposed to know about). The leaks tell us the Traveler is a mystery, which would make sense if it doesn't allow it's voice to be heard.

Tuesday's message could be interpreted as Humanity's terraformation of Mars. Which means we'll likely hear messages regarding each planet and further history regarding the expansion, and downfall of humanity leading up to where we pick Destiny's story in-game.

This

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 11:00 (4083 days ago) @ petetheduck

Downfall at Alpha Lupi perhaps?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 10:57 (4083 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Could be. Certainly Humanity seems under siege. But from the leaked stuff it seems a bit late for a radio beacon deployment program.

When I read the quoted passage this time I thought of something like an assassin or a stealthy special ops commando, silent and swift, hiding among the crowd. Revealing himself, making himself heard for a brief instant, then disappearing again.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 11:02 (4083 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Could be. Certainly Humanity seems under siege. But from the leaked stuff it seems a bit late for a radio beacon deployment program.

Agreed; I was thinking more that this was back-story setting up why Earth's wrecked. I don't think this hints towards missions in-game or anything.

-- Steve was trying to tie this to previous Bungie-related lore, given Bungie's tendency to re-use themes and tropes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread