Clan Vendor (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 15:31 (3514 days ago)

As a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership, I would love to see Bungie implement a Clan Vendor into the Tower.

- If someone isn't in a clan, the Clan Vendor will simply direct them to investigate Bungie.net's forum community to find and join a clan.

- If someone IS in a clan, the Clan Vendor will allow them to purchase items selected by the clan administrator.

Here's how it would work. This would be an involved process..

The Clan Vendor would require rank 3, exactly like how the Faction Vendors operate. This is primarily to prevent abuse of the Clan Vendor and give a sense of investment.

The Clan Vendor would always sell a Schematic, along with a few other items selected by the clan administrator.

A Schematic would be expensive--maybe 10,000 Glimmer, but what it allows you to do is donate an item in your Vault. You forfeit the item when you do this.

In exchange, in the Bungie.net clan portal, that item is now unlocked on the Clan Vendor item list. That means the clan administrator can now select it as an item that any clan members can purchase at the Clan Vendor. Of course, the clan administrator would have a limited number of items he can make available at the Clan Vendor for a given week. The Clan Vendor management would happen through Bungie.net, and Bungie would of course be able to prohibit certain items, like Raid rewards.

Got a sweet exotic auto rifle? If you're willing to give it up, you can make it available for the clan administrator to select as an item that the entire clan can purchase.

Here's the kicker: The Clan Vendor only accepts engrams as currency. Even if the clan administrator has made that sweet exotic auto rifle available for purchase at the Clan Vendor, you still have to get an exotic engram to purchase it. Xur would come in handy..

This would be a great perk for clan members. It would also help distribute items for a uniform clan appearance, like shaders and ships. The clan administrator could also sell items like ammo synthesis for a discounted price.

Thoughts?

Love it!

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 15:54 (3514 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Clan Vendor

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 15:55 (3514 days ago) @ petetheduck

As a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership, I would love to see Bungie implement a Clan Vendor into the Tower.

- If someone isn't in a clan, the Clan Vendor will simply direct them to investigate Bungie.net's forum community to find and join a clan.

That sounds... sub-optimal. It would give some purpose to clans besides a handful of achievements, but I doubt it would drive people to join.

- If someone IS in a clan, the Clan Vendor will allow them to purchase items selected by the clan administrator.

Abuse of power, rage, drama... that might have other effects, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

Here's how it would work. This would be an involved process..

...which doesn't seem like a good thing...

The Clan Vendor would require rank 3, exactly like how the Faction Vendors operate. This is primarily to prevent abuse of the Clan Vendor and give a sense of investment.

The Clan Vendor would always sell a Schematic, along with a few other items selected by the clan administrator.

A Schematic would be expensive--maybe 10,000 Glimmer, but what it allows you to do is donate an item in your Vault. You forfeit the item when you do this.

In exchange, in the Bungie.net clan portal, that item is now unlocked on the Clan Vendor item list. That means the clan administrator can now select it as an item that any clan members can purchase at the Clan Vendor. Of course, the clan administrator would have a limited number of items he can make available at the Clan Vendor for a given week. The Clan Vendor management would happen through Bungie.net, and Bungie would of course be able to prohibit certain items, like Raid rewards.

Got a sweet exotic auto rifle? If you're willing to give it up, you can make it available for the clan administrator to select as an item that the entire clan can purchase.

Here's the kicker: The Clan Vendor only accepts engrams as currency. Even if the clan administrator has made that sweet exotic auto rifle available for purchase at the Clan Vendor, you still have to get an exotic engram to purchase it. Xur would come in handy..

This would be a great perk for clan members. It would also help distribute items for a uniform clan appearance, like shaders and ships. The clan administrator could also sell items like ammo synthesis for a discounted price.

Thoughts?

Oh, you're talking about a system of trade. Why do you want to restrict it to clans?

Clan Vendor

by petetheduck, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 16:09 (3514 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Oh, you're talking about a system of trade. Why do you want to restrict it to clans?

Why is the idea I came up as a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership restricted to clans?

Because it is intended as a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership.

Good idea!

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 16:43 (3514 days ago) @ petetheduck

Something like what you've described would be cool.

I think the details of what could be made available can always be tweaked. I was thinking restricting items to Legendary tier at the highest to prevent whole clans running around with Suros Regime-esque loadouts.

I also think the clan admin could select a specific emblem and cloak/bond/mark that all members can purchase and wear, rather than waiting and relying on said item randomly dropping or being available from the normal outfitter. I guess you could go so far as to tie in a tiered rep system like which exists already with the factions.

Clan Vendor

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 16:45 (3514 days ago) @ petetheduck

Perhaps the clan vendor would instead hold items with a distinctive look to them? So your entire clan would get armor themed to the clan, and ships themed to the clan, and sparrows themed to the clan.

Clan Vendor

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 17:00 (3514 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 17:06

Why is the idea I came up as a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership restricted to clans?

Because it is intended as a means of adding real, in-game value and rewards to clan membership.

Oh wow, I actually missed that part at the beginning, I just kind of dove into your points.
It really sounds like this would kill two birds with one stone but you only want to kill one of them. I think it's a good idea, but I don't see a good reason to do it with a regular player managing it but several reasons not to (they all boil down to "people will get mad"), and there are a bunch of other things they could and should do to make clans worthwhile. In fact I don't think this would take off without clans being more accessible-- as it stands you can't manage them, or join them, or even see them, from within the game. Directing people to b.net just isn't practical. I know they're doing it with the Grimoire but a lot of people are playing Destiny that have never seen the Grimoire and don't intend to.
I didn't really notice before, you'd have to pay to get an item and you'd also have to pay (a lot) to give an item. What's the rationale behind that? Also how would you gain clan rep?

Clan Vendor

by petetheduck, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 17:34 (3514 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Perhaps the clan vendor would instead hold items with a distinctive look to them? So your entire clan would get armor themed to the clan, and ships themed to the clan, and sparrows themed to the clan.

This would be set up by the clan admin. As in, exactly this was my goal, but manually set up as so by the clan admin.

Clan Vendor

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, October 05, 2014, 13:31 (3513 days ago) @ petetheduck

I was thinking slightly simpler though. The clan vendor would only have the "theme" set by a clan administrator. Similar to how the clan/group is configured on bungie.net now. The items actually sold by the clan vendor could then be a randomly rotating list with special shaders or something applied to it. The clan vendor would then always have the same objects for sale no matter which clan you were in and therefore people couldn't really abuse the vendor. It would still cause clan members to have a distinctive look though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread