Checking in / still any interest in maps? (Fan Creations)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 14:08 (3506 days ago)

Hey guys, I haven't been around much lately.

I've been busy getting some projects done now that I have my Cintiq back from the repair center (Finally on the last page of Mayflower #2 today!), and when not doing that, I've been playing Destiny way too much.:)

I have been trying to keep the front page from being empty as best I can, but I'm not a very good news-aggregator (game journalism/popular gaming culture and I don't mix well I guess) and sometimes I also like to just disappear from the Internet for a few days. Submitting news through the fancy submit page or e-mail is currently the best way to let us know if you've got something hot and meaty for us... not sure that's the best metaphor, actually.

Haven't kept up with the forum at all as of late either. My brain is strange and it doesn't like to let things rest; it keeps turning things over and over until there's just a static buzz of irritation up there. If I read a rant about a movie, even if I feel completely opposite about it, it will still constantly and annoyingly pop up in my mind as I'm watching said movie and disrupt my enjoyment of it. Wasn't always this way, guess it's a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder - you don't just arrange things neatly on the coffee table, you try to rearrange your brain too, heh. Destiny's actually been acting as an escape from all that, so I'm not ready to wrap my head around the forum yet and possibly lose that. Just imagine I'm here saying a lot of positive things about the game and sharing fun stories from the Frontier like how satisfying it is to boost an Interceptor off a giant sand dune and onto a Praetorian's head, or to sit on Ragashingo's speeder bike and dance while he's in the menu completely ignorant to it.

But I DID do a quick search on my name to see if I missed anything important, like this forum thread about maps! It's closed now, but I wanted to ask if there was still interest?

I've been hesitant so far as a lot of Destiny's world are pretty intricate and back and forth, which would make the map more of a challenge. But I may actually have some time to work on such a thing in the near future. I was thinking more faded/fantasy-style map. I wouldn't describe every crate and dune, but I'd get the general area and orientation and fill it with all the important landmarks.

So are there any specific desires/wants/ for these maps, so I can slowly start putting my mind to it? Is it important to have all the separate areas of a planet together or would it be better to tackle the specific areas one at a time?

(GT: Gwath Gil if you're looking for long walks on the beach and good times in Destiny on 360 btw.)

Yes. Much Interest... From me at least. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 14:14 (3506 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

I would love this!

by Yapok @, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 14:39 (3506 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Checking in / still any interest in maps?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 14:41 (3506 days ago) @ Leviathan

I would definitely be interested. I'm still finding areas on patrol that I have never been to or have completely forgotten about.

Yes. Emphatically even!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 14:43 (3506 days ago) @ Leviathan

But I DID do a quick search on my name to see if I missed anything important, like this forum thread about maps! It's closed now, but I wanted to ask if there was still interest?

I was actually going to make a follow up post in a day or two, so it's awesome you kind of beat me to it!

I've been hesitant so far as a lot of Destiny's world are pretty intricate and back and forth, which would make the map more of a challenge. But I may actually have some time to work on such a thing in the near future. I was thinking more faded/fantasy-style map. I wouldn't describe every crate and dune, but I'd get the general area and orientation and fill it with all the important landmarks.

That sounds awesome, and I don't think anyone here would've been expecting a Google Maps Satellite view from you, nor every crate, ghost, or loot drop. Gold Chests sound like something that should be marked, but personally I'm leaning towards those not being on the map either, simply because it'd suck the joy out of discovering one. And certainly not mob locations.

So are there any specific desires/wants/ for these maps, so I can slowly start putting my mind to it? Is it important to have all the separate areas of a planet together or would it be better to tackle the specific areas one at a time?

I haven't played anything outside of the Beta, so I don't have a whole lot of input to offer. I'd kind of like to see the planet's locale as a whole (Old Russia in it's entirety at a glance!), but I imagine that'd rapidly become unwieldy both to make and use. I don't think there'd be much reason to map the interiors of buildings or structures since most are fairly linear (at least they seemed to be in the Beta). It'd be nice to have some indication of where caves or underground passages go though.

Honestly, I'm just psyched to see whatever you come up with. It's bound to be awesome, and I'm bound to probably end up having them at my side when I finally get to play (assuming they're done). I'm imagining fun times whipping out the map to plan an excursion or just to do a scouting run and make notations.

Make it happen!

Yes. Emphatically even!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 21:55 (3505 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Golden loot chests should be on the maps. If you wait to find them, then the items are useless (mostly).

Yes. Emphatically even!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, October 10, 2014, 20:27 (3503 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Golden loot chests should be on the maps. If you wait to find them, then the items are useless (mostly).

I was thinking once the base locations are done, I (or you guys) could make a couple of variants with the chests, ghosts, etc.

Spawn caves?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, October 10, 2014, 20:31 (3503 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Do you guys think I need to mark every prefab cave? There's... a lot! I was thinking that maybe I'd highlight the ones easy to miss, like in the back of the Archer's Line operations room for example.

I was planning on forgoing all the interiors (except where they connect to), but I thought the Hellmouth should be mapped since it can get confusing and it feels like it's about half the Moon.

One more question: any planet in particular you guys feel I should start with? I feel like Russia is pretty known and it might be more exciting to skip it and go back to it.

Spawn caves?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 10, 2014, 20:38 (3503 days ago) @ Leviathan

Do you guys think I need to mark every prefab cave? There's... a lot! I was thinking that maybe I'd highlight the ones easy to miss, like in the back of the Archer's Line operations room for example.

Every cave. Also mark every possible spawn location for chests and resource. :-)

Spawn caves?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 10, 2014, 20:50 (3503 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I want a key of all the missions as well. If I have to scan for nuclear power I want it marked!

Spawn caves?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Friday, October 10, 2014, 23:54 (3503 days ago) @ Leviathan

For the record, I was never suggesting the tiny caves that spawn monsters and chests, I meant the caves that are actually CAVES. Examples from my poor memory of the Cosmodrome... The one near Skywatch, the Hive cave... I don't even remember where..., and the one that seemed to be a subway or underground rail line.

Things like that would be nice to have. The little nooks? I can map those myself. That'll be half the fun.

Spawn caves?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 14:51 (3499 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by General Vagueness, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 14:55

Maybe just a marker for each entrance?

I was planning on forgoing all the interiors (except where they connect to), but I thought the Hellmouth should be mapped since it can get confusing and it feels like it's about half the Moon.

I agree about the Moon; it seems like a whole lot of Mars is indoors too, the Buried City and the Cabal warbase and their outlying structures are major parts of the map, but I don't think I have a really good feel for it yet so I'm not sure.

One more question: any planet in particular you guys feel I should start with? I feel like Russia is pretty known and it might be more exciting to skip it and go back to it.

I would go in the order we visit them, but that's partly my own OCD tendencies talking.
Any thoughts on fitting in the Black Garden and the Vault of Glass?

Hell yeah!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 09, 2014, 14:58 (3505 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Especially the moon

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 15:17 (3505 days ago) @ Leviathan

I get lost underground. I usually find my way out easily enough, but if I'm looking for something specific I have a hard time finding it sometimes.

Very yes!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, October 12, 2014, 18:26 (3501 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread