Crucible Bounties are dumb (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 08:33 (3493 days ago)

Vanguard Bounties are harmless. You can do them by yourself, or with a group of people who want to do them too. You're not hurting anybody else by doing the silly repetitive things asked of you.

It's different in crucible. I often see folks running around with snipers trying to get their headshots, meleeing everybody, or whatever the day's bounty is. Folks focus on getting the bounty, not on what is right in that situation for the game. When you dick around to get crucible bounties, you make the experience worse for everyone else on your team. I am not saying winning is the be all end all, but you are playing a competitive game and most folks are trying to do their best to beat the other team.

There are also bounties that require you to suck to get them. Postmortem medals? You have to die first. Oh, cool.

Crucible bounties do not enhance the game.

Come on, man, you're not even trying...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 08:46 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My own trolling is far more subtle than this...

This.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:09 (3493 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

What year is it?

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 08:53 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo: Reach MP challenges all over again.

I don't take it seriously anymore though.

Still better than Halo 3 MP achievements

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 08:56 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

^ Eh, that too

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:02 (3493 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

2-for-1

*shudders*

Remember the region switching fad to find cheevo lobbies?

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:18 (3493 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Crucible Bounties are dumb

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 08:56 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Vanguard Bounties are harmless. You can do them by yourself, or with a group of people who want to do them too. You're not hurting anybody else by doing the silly repetitive things asked of you.

It's different in crucible. I often see folks running around with snipers trying to get their headshots, meleeing everybody, or whatever the day's bounty is. Folks focus on getting the bounty, not on what is right in that situation for the game. When you dick around to get crucible bounties, you make the experience worse for everyone else on your team. I am not saying winning is the be all end all, but you are playing a competitive game and most folks are trying to do their best to beat the other team.

There are also bounties that require you to suck to get them. Postmortem medals? You have to die first. Oh, cool.

Crucible bounties do not enhance the game.

I love postmortem bounties because I get them without trying. That's my rule for Crucible bounties--I choose the ones I can get without trying. I don't choose many.

by Monochron, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:48 (3493 days ago) @ Kermit

I love postmortem bounties because I get them without trying. That's my rule for Crucible bounties--I choose the ones I can get without trying. I don't choose many.

I think that is way everyone should try to get those. I doubt that will be the case, but it is a much more gracious way to go about it.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:55 (3493 days ago) @ Kermit

I love postmortem bounties because I get them without trying.

Ditto. Suicide stickies for the win!

-Disciple

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 12:12 (3493 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

More like for the draw.

True

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 10, 2014, 08:15 (3492 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:08 (3493 days ago) @ Kermit

Same. "Kill 25 [class]" is my favourite, especially if you've got all three. Guarsnteed at least one after a couple of games.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:33 (3493 days ago) @ someotherguy

See, that's one I never pick.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:50 (3493 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm surprised that the titan one is usually the longest to complete for me. Lots of warlocks and hunters in crucible, but not as many titans. I figured it would be the other way around.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 20:38 (3492 days ago) @ bluerunner

Really? It seems like I see a lot of Hunters and Titans and not that many Warlocks in the Crucible.

Crap, I'm having fun wrong again.....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:22 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Having fun "wrong"?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:24 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

It's Destiny, you're not supposed to be having fun at all.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:37 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

The last time I had the wrong type of fun, I ended up at Bones's house. I barely made it out alive. Nice carpets though.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:40 (3493 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Wait.. is Bones Sanguine?

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 13:44 (3493 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You know the 'Circle of Bones' hall in the Hellmouth?

Yeah, Bungie totally plagiarized my interior decorating motif; pretty much wholly ripped off my entryway and guest bathroom, hanging meat hooks and everything.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 19:50 (3492 days ago) @ Bones

You know the 'Circle of Bones' hall in the Hellmouth?

Yeah, Bungie totally plagiarized my interior decorating motif; pretty much wholly ripped off my entryway and guest bathroom, hanging meat hooks and everything.

gosh those jerks it took you forever to find just the right ones too jeeze

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:42 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

I don't think he mentioned anything about fun, his argument is about how bounties cause players to play the game in a sub-optimal way and how it negatively affects the rest of your team.

I take it you have never been frustrated by your teammates when you are trying your hardest to win.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:23 (3493 days ago) @ Kalamari

I take it you have never been frustrated by your teammates when you are trying your hardest to win.

Who needs teammates when you have an Interceptor? Also, what is "trying?"

I love this comment.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:04 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

I don't

by Monochron, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:08 (3493 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

There's a big difference between telling other how they should have fun in the game, and telling people that they should be considerate of the effects of their actions on others in the game.

You are certainly free to play in a way that harms other people's fun, its just something that we should be mindful of.

I don't

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 12:21 (3493 days ago) @ Monochron

I have to agree. Cody has a good point here, which is that some of these bounties can cause your teammates to play in a way that hurts your chances. In PvE modes that's not much of an issue, usually, with the possible exception of matchmade strikes (but even there you don't necessarily lose altogether, you just get set back by a few minutes). However, in PvP with random teammates, there is the potential for your melee-quest or whatever you're doing to hurt your team.

Now, bounties do not FORCE you to only use melee or only get postmortem kills, so some of the blame goes to players who choose to do so. But I think it's still a valid criticism to point out that the bounties encourage it.

Sic semper Codius

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:37 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:02 (3493 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

maybe not, but this time it's at other's expense.

Isn't PvP fun at another's expense by design?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 16:30 (3492 days ago) @ Cody Miller

maybe not, but this time it's at other's expense.

If you're having fun stomping an enemy team (or a specific player on that team), are you not having fun at his expense? Should you stop killing them to let them have fun?

By your description, any teammate who goes negative in a game is not playing the game correctly, since it's at your expense...

I use the Fusion Rifle extensively. Some people complain that the FR is overpowered (it isn't)... Isn't my use of it at their expense?
I often switch to the sniper rifle just to mix things up, even though I tend to get less kills than I would with a Fusion Rifle. But apparently that's "at your expense" and I should stop? Now you're having fun at my expense...

So not only am I having the wrong type of fun in general, but now I have to be careful of what I do around specific people, because it may be the wrong type of fun for them, and therefore wrong?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 10, 2014, 08:36 (3492 days ago) @ Korny

By your description, any teammate who goes negative in a game is not playing the game correctly, since it's at your expense...

That's not really the same thing, since it's not being done intentionally.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 10, 2014, 10:21 (3492 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Korny, Friday, October 10, 2014, 10:31

That's not really the same thing, since it's not being done intentionally.

Losing a game because you were going for sniper kills isn't losing intentionally either.

I got a 16.0 K/D earlier today, but then switched my gear around to level up some stuff that I just got and stopped doing so well (I even went negative in a game or two)... Since I knowingly made myself less efficient, am I intentionally playing at the expense of others, and am I a bad person for doing so?

Cody seems to think so...

Either way, 99% of the time, winning isn't my main objective in a game, having fun is. I could not care less whether my team is doing well or not (and I'm oftentimes the only person on my team who goes positive). I do what I enjoy doing, whether it be mastering the tricky Fusion Rifles, sniping people through walls, or even trying to get killed strategically in order to make great use of my Radiance and send the enemy team into a panic...

I definitely believe in PTFO, though, but like Cody said himself, winning is not the be-all-end-all point of the game. If you're not having fun, who cares if you're winning? Chasing bounties can be fun, so disregard folks who only want you to be playing the game in a way that they approve of...

What if your fun keeps others from having fun?

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 14:53 (3492 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Whether it's bounties or challenges or achievements/trophies, rewards for performing certain tasks in MP influence the way other people play, often to the detriment of other players' experiences. One of the oldest examples I have experience with is the original Gears of War. It was almost impossible to get any cooperation because everyone else was busy trying to grind their "Get 100 curbstomps/chainsaw kills/pistol headshots/whatever" achievements. Actually winning or acting as a team was rarely a consideration. They didn't have those kind of achievements in Gears 2, and it resulted in a better experience.

Remember, in multiplayer you're not just on your own time. You're on everyone else's time, too.

Armour Lock thread.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 15:23 (3492 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 09:43 (3493 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That one is easy. I get one every time I get into a melee or shotgun battle.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:08 (3493 days ago) @ bluerunner

That one is easy. I get one every time I get into a melee or shotgun battle.

Sunsinger melees set people on fire. If my body drops at the feet of another Guardian, you can bet that fool's a'cookin' to death... I have 210 Post-Mortem medals, and I don't do much Crucible...

Tripmines; best revenge ever

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 10:39 (3493 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

'Cause you sure aren't going to get a kill with them...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:12 (3493 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

- No text -

You haven't seen my collection of Postmortem medals... *NM*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:44 (3493 days ago) @ Ragashingo

... and those were won without any bounties or anything. I don't play to bounties; I pick bounties that play to my preferences.

I do.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 11:46 (3493 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sometimes I get multikills if they're capturing a zone. They're actually great because most people don't notice the beam. If I'm near a doorway and my radar is lighting up, I stick one low down in the doorway. I usually get the kill because they're focused on shooting me and not on jumping the beam.

I do.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 17:28 (3492 days ago) @ bluerunner

More often than not though I see people throw them, miss, then die. For most people I think one of the other grenade would be a better option. If you've figured them out though that's great. :) Also, pro tip: you can shoot those tripmine grenades to get rid of them early.

I do.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, October 09, 2014, 22:02 (3492 days ago) @ Ragashingo

More often than not though I see people throw them, miss, then die. For most people I think one of the other grenade would be a better option. If you've figured them out though that's great. :) Also, pro tip: you can shoot those tripmine grenades to get rid of them early.

Yeah, the real trick to them is basically RARELY throw them at people. They do stick, but they do not assist you at all, so the majority of the time you will miss unless they are right in your face. I'm with bluerunner though, they are amazing if you know where to stick them. On Firebase Delphi I always sprint to B just to chuck a tripmine on the back wall. I average more than one kill on that tactic.

I do.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 10, 2014, 01:02 (3492 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, the real trick to them is basically RARELY throw them at people. They do stick, but they do not assist you at all, so the majority of the time you will miss unless they are right in your face. I'm with bluerunner though, they are amazing if you know where to stick them. On Firebase Delphi I always sprint to B just to chuck a tripmine on the back wall. I average more than one kill on that tactic.

Stick them to heavy ammo containers :-) Wait, then grab the ammo when your opponent dies.

I do.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 10, 2014, 07:21 (3492 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My absolute favorite is the most confounding: an opponent sees my trip mine, pauses, thinks it over, then runs through the trip mine and dies. I've died many times laughing at people.

Trip mines stick to ceilings. *evil grin*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, October 10, 2014, 07:19 (3492 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

You don't have to do them; They are optional

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 10, 2014, 07:37 (3492 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I hope you're not the kind of guy that is a completionist and sees a bounty and feels obligated to do them.

I only pick bounties that I know I will get just for playing, if they are convenient for what I was doing or that fit my style. (Complete a strike without dying + earn 9000xp without dying)

I only pickup crucible bounties if I have an exotic bounty that requires me to go there or if my friends need help with their bounties.

The crucible is shit to me, and the only joy I have is sprinting around as a Titan and shoulder charging into people.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 10, 2014, 08:40 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Ummm... I don't think Cody's issue here is necessarily what he personally will do with the bounties.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:10 (3492 days ago) @ stabbim

Ummm... I don't think Cody's issue here is necessarily what he personally will do with the bounties.

Er, you're right. This is what I get for trying to work-work and slack-work at the same time.

I'll just say this: Though my time is limited in crucible, I can't recall a single instance of running into another player where I could detect they were chasing a bounty and it was harming my team or the other team.

All I ever see are blade dancers and ARs.

MP bounties are supposed to be more of those little rewards for doing things you're already doing, such as kill 20 titans (Though I never run into any other titans other than me).

When I see a bounty for shoutguns, I pick it up, as my personal play style is centered around that, so I should pick it up without going out of my way.

I would never pick up a bounty for handcannon head shots because I hardly use those weapons.

If people chase bounties as something they have to do, they are gonna have a bad time.

But I don't think it can be argued that they are at the expense of other players, because the very nature of MP is me kicking your ass, at your expense.

If it really is that big of a deal, then we're just going to end up with a diluted MP space like the hey-dey of Halo 2 and 3. BR starts all the time on lockout is boring. Smash Bro games on final destination with no items is boring.

Maybe Iron Banner is supposed to scratch that competitive itch.

Variety keeps things interesting and encourages people to play the game in a manner they might not have before.

IDK.

If people want to look for faults, they're gonna find them.

I do know this: the game has barely been out a month at this point.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:15 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

If people chase bounties as something they have to do, they are gonna have a bad time.

Yeah, I agree with you here, and that's why I haven't played much Iron Banner. The bounties are usually ridiculous things like Get 30 Machine Gun Headshots. Which, while doable, would most likely take me 3-4 days to complete at the normal pace I play Crucible, and without those bounties it takes a long time to level up in Iron Banner. I COULD probably finish it in an hour or two, but it would be playing in a way I don't find enjoyable.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:31 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

shoutguns,

I wish this was a real thing.

If people want to look for faults, they're gonna find them.

Stay tuned. I found an earth shattering fault last night that has totally destroyed my faith in everything. I was devastated. I'll write it all up later, when I can do it with dry eyes.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:55 (3492 days ago) @ bluerunner

shoutguns,

I wish this was a real thing.

You've met Paddy, right?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:34 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

When I see a bounty for shoutguns, I pick it up, as my personal play style is centered around that, so I should pick it up without going out of my way.

I want a shoutgun!

Me: [Pulls trigger] WAHOO!

Rev: Hey, dude, why are you using the shoutgun? I'm standing right here.

;)

When are you going to deign to play with me, Rev?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, October 10, 2014, 09:58 (3492 days ago) @ Kermit

I want a shoutgun!

;)

I think yesterday was the first time I saw you on PS4, ever, and ws also bad timing. I had limited time and some goals to complete. There will be others, I'm sure.

I must say, that after all the huffing and puffing about what system is better and all that, I'm surprised at how many people didn't migrate to PS4.

Most of my xbox friends that I thought were moving to PS4, surprisingly stayed xbox.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 10, 2014, 10:25 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I want a shoutgun!

;)

I think yesterday was the first time I saw you on PS4, ever, and ws also bad timing. I had limited time and some goals to complete. There will be others, I'm sure.

I must say, that after all the huffing and puffing about what system is better and all that, I'm surprised at how many people didn't migrate to PS4.

Most of my xbox friends that I thought were moving to PS4, surprisingly stayed xbox.

I don't know anyone on my friends list playing exclusively on the PS3, so the Xbox friends across two platforms outnumber the PS4 friends.

I anticipate my time will be more evenly divided. My character ranked quicker on the Xbox, because that's where friends were asking me to play. Then there was the pre-Raid ranking excitement.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 10, 2014, 11:26 (3492 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'll just say this: Though my time is limited in crucible, I can't recall a single instance of running into another player where I could detect they were chasing a bounty and it was harming my team or the other team.

I agree. In the limited time I've spent in crucible, most players just seem to be having fun trying to win. I don't think this is a thing that's breaking the game. That being said, I feel like bounties that encourage just playing however you normally do (kills, wins, etc.) would be preferable to those that encourage doing weird things. Only in crucible/IB, that is - in PvE, sure, anything goes.

All I ever see are blade dancers and ARs.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen many blade dancers. The super that kills me the most is definitely Fist of Havoc. Also, I'm surprised how infrequently I get hit with Golden Gun. I expected that one to be the go-to for competitive MP. Definitely agree on the ARs, though. I'm looking forward to the weapon balance tweaks.

MP bounties are supposed to be more of those little rewards for doing things you're already doing, such as kill 20 titans (Though I never run into any other titans other than me).

Yeah, definitely. Unfortunately not everyone has the discipline to do that. There are some players who, if there's a bounty for something, will only do that thing until the bounty's done. It sucks that you can't trust randoms to not bring you down, but... well, we are talking about random matchmade players after all.

shoutguns

Fus-Roh-BOOM?

I would never pick up a bounty for handcannon head shots because I hardly use those weapons.

Blasphemer! Kill the heretic!

But I don't think it can be argued that they are at the expense of other players, because the very nature of MP is me kicking your ass, at your expense.

If we're on opposite teams, yes.

Also, you forgot the part where I punch my coffee table, storm off, and go get a snack. Which is largely the reason I don't do much PvP.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread