Gamespot Destiny article

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 04, 2013, 18:49 (4042 days ago)

This is old, but I had not seen it before.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/destiny-unveiled-what-bungies-next-game-is-and-isnt-all-about-6404016/

Not much new, but comprehensive and there are some interesting tidbits.

Sounds like gambling might be involved. Hope I fare better than I did at Blackjack in Red Dead Redemption. I'm both excited and worried about time-sensitive events. What will I miss if real life is in the way?

I also don't remember earth missions being mentioned, at least not explicitly. There are so many intriguing possibilities in this concept!

Kermit

Gamespot Destiny article

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 04, 2013, 19:02 (4042 days ago) @ Kermit

Sounds like gambling might be involved. Hope I fare better than I did at Blackjack in Red Dead Redemption.

I noticed that in another article. I'm wondering if it's just against NPCs or if we can make bets with each other. It might be fun to set up contests with entry fees and in-game prizes amongst ourselves.

I'm both excited and worried about time-sensitive events. What will I miss if real life is in the way?

I'm excited and worried as well. I'm finding less time lately to get online, and it would suck to miss out on some of the fun times.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, March 04, 2013, 19:09 (4042 days ago) @ bluerunner

Sounds like gambling might be involved. Hope I fare better than I did at Blackjack in Red Dead Redemption.

I noticed that in another article. I'm wondering if it's just against NPCs or if we can make bets with each other. It might be fun to set up contests with entry fees and in-game prizes amongst ourselves.

I'm both excited and worried about time-sensitive events. What will I miss if real life is in the way?

I'm excited and worried as well. I'm finding less time lately to get online, and it would suck to miss out on some of the fun times.

I'm hoping it'll be time-sensitive as in 24 hours and not 1-2 hours.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 04, 2013, 19:27 (4042 days ago) @ Xenos

Yes, that would be better. Sigh. Something tells me I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that I"m not going be able to play this game as much as I want to.

Gamespot Destiny article

by mnemesis, Monday, March 04, 2013, 21:54 (4042 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes, that would be better. Sigh. Something tells me I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that I"m not going be able to play this game as much as I want to.

I can't imagine that any world event-type thing would last for anything less than a day; more likely for a few days or a week. Time zones and real-life schedules alone would necessitate this, not to mention the desire on Bungie's part for players to actually experience the fruits of their labor.

Gamespot Destiny article

by kapowaz, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 06:03 (4041 days ago) @ mnemesis

I can't imagine that any world event-type thing would last for anything less than a day; more likely for a few days or a week. Time zones and real-life schedules alone would necessitate this, not to mention the desire on Bungie's part for players to actually experience the fruits of their labor.

Indeed, and if you look at Blizzard's example, they have gradually adapted their concept of ‘world events’ from the initial ‘blink and you missed it’ type (e.g. The Dark Portal opening, the Infernal Invasion at the end of the beta) to persistent things within a timeframe (the zombie event pre-WotLK) until they finally said that the Cataclysm expansion cinematic was the ‘world event’ (although they've done additional flavour pieces prior to this too).

If Bungie is going for a persistent world, then you have to choose between two possible approaches: player-persistence, or world-persistence. The former is something more akin to WoW's ‘phasing’ system (if you're not familiar: players share the same world, but world geometry, NPCs and zone-based triggers etc. are defined separately for each possible ‘phase’; players who are in different phases aren't visible to one another). There are implications with grouping in this setup, but I have to imagine Bungie would be addressing these — if indeed they are implementing some sort of phasing (which I suspect they will be).

Gamespot Destiny article

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, March 04, 2013, 19:50 (4042 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. This is the problem MMO designers face in storytelling. It's difficult to have a coherent story that all players can follow along with simultaneously.

Either you go the direction of WoW where players are always out of sync with each other at different stages of playing through the same single-player storyline, or you go the EVE Online route where the universe changes with major story events, and everyone needs to man up or die in the new world.

I tend to prefer the EVE approach, but it by necessity means that players who aren't entirely caught up in the story or players who weren't around at launch, during major story events, etc. will miss and not be a part of what's going on in the world.

Gamespot Destiny article

by mnemesis, Monday, March 04, 2013, 21:50 (4042 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I was talking about this with a friend the other day. This is the problem MMO designers face in storytelling. It's difficult to have a coherent story that all players can follow along with simultaneously.

Either you go the direction of WoW where players are always out of sync with each other at different stages of playing through the same single-player storyline, or you go the EVE Online route where the universe changes with major story events, and everyone needs to man up or die in the new world.

I tend to prefer the EVE approach, but it by necessity means that players who aren't entirely caught up in the story or players who weren't around at launch, during major story events, etc. will miss and not be a part of what's going on in the world.

I played WoW for a while, and there were definitely some fun times when suddenly a world event hit the server. WoW cliches and tropes aside, there's something pretty neat about a bunch of players hanging out in a virtual space and suddenly, Zombies! (or, Dragon! or everybody's turned into rabbits or whatever)

I very much look forward to the Bungie/FPS implementation of this kind of thing, if that's really what's coming. Plus, capes.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, March 04, 2013, 23:38 (4042 days ago) @ mnemesis

I played WoW for a while, and there were definitely some fun times when suddenly a world event hit the server. WoW cliches and tropes aside, there's something pretty neat about a bunch of players hanging out in a virtual space and suddenly, Zombies! (or, Dragon! or everybody's turned into rabbits or whatever)

I very much look forward to the Bungie/FPS implementation of this kind of thing, if that's really what's coming. Plus, capes.

Shoot, yeah. Guess I didn't play WoW long enough to run into one of those major server-wide events but they were always a blast in EVE and Asheron's Call...really got people talking and brought the world to life. And if you weren't around to see it when that shit went down, you'd only hear about it from the old timers, like tales passed down through the ages.

Now, it seems like Bungie has a good idea about how long they want to work on developing this universe. Will the nature of the world change dramatically over the course of the franchise's lifespan? Will there be an "ending"? I'm eager to see what they do with it.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 05:02 (4041 days ago) @ mnemesis

[image]

~M

Gamespot Destiny article

by kapowaz, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 06:04 (4041 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Ha, same thing here again.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 04, 2013, 20:01 (4042 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was pained to discover that we both were playing Long Night of Solace at the same time on Saturday. We should have teamed up!

Gamespot Destiny article

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 05:27 (4041 days ago) @ Kermit

I was pained to discover that we both were playing Long Night of Solace at the same time on Saturday. We should have teamed up!

Wasn't me. Lil' Blue has been playing through the campaign on his own. They grow up so fast.

Meanwhile I was in the garage restoring an old cast iron camp stove. Can't wait to get some steak and eggs cooking on it.

Gamespot Destiny article

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 14:10 (4041 days ago) @ Kermit

I think I'll send this article to a couple friends who aren't up to date on Destiny news. It all seems accurate (other than having been written before the PS4 reveal, which I'll correct).

Gamespot Destiny article

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 20:14 (4041 days ago) @ Kermit

hmm, so... kick butt in competitive multiplayer --> rack up points or credits or whatever --> buy a shiny new spoiler or afterburner or whatever for my ship --> show it off in co-op (and more competitive multiplayer?)... I'm starting to warm up to this formula
They said before you can play by yourself, but does that include when you're on-line? Can you really be by yourself then? What about if you're playing with a set group? Will random people pop up when you're doing... whatever? Will they be able to mess with you or your group when you're just trying to get through a mission or get from A to B? Please, Bungie, tell me that can't happen, not just that it won't, but that it can't.

Gamespot Destiny article

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 20:48 (4041 days ago) @ General Vagueness

hmm, so... kick butt in competitive multiplayer --> rack up points or credits or whatever --> buy a shiny new spoiler or afterburner or whatever for my ship --> show it off in co-op (and more competitive multiplayer?)... I'm starting to warm up to this formula
They said before you can play by yourself, but does that include when you're on-line? Can you really be by yourself then? What about if you're playing with a set group? Will random people pop up when you're doing... whatever? Will they be able to mess with you or your group when you're just trying to get through a mission or get from A to B? Please, Bungie, tell me that can't happen, not just that it won't, but that it can't.

I'd be shocked if Bungie isn't giving this scenario thought. I haven't played Dark Souls, but from what I gather, there is a heavy price to pay for griefing. I think many of us are wondering about how they'll discourage that.

Perhaps there's a realistic mechanism for maintaining party "privacy." Perhaps, on our journey, we'll go around a city, avoiding public areas, instead of going through of the city's center.

Hmm, I know many of us like playing levels we know by heart, fully aware of the range of the NPCs' behaviors, but boredom eventually sets in and we move on to something else. But what if they aren't NPCs? Hmm.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread