Sights Strong target ecquisition vs enchanced? (Destiny)

by Acheron, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 10:15 (3473 days ago)

Ok obviously I can see how for example the red dot-oes gives me more stability and range then focus lens fla5 but what about target ecquisition ? What is this?

For example focus lens fla5 has "enchanced target ecquisition while truesight IS has "strong target ecquisition" Is this autoaim? magnetizem?

Sights Strong target ecquisition vs enchanced?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 10:40 (3473 days ago) @ Acheron

I've been wondering about this too, I'm really curious. So far I've been ignoring it and just going by the stat bars. (I really wish it was explained somewhere, anywhere, at all, ever, in a remotely official capacity, possibly in some kind of printed item... OK that's my last time harping on that... probably.)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 11:07 (3473 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I've been wondering about this too, I'm really curious. So far I've been ignoring it and just going by the stat bars. (I really wish it was explained somewhere, anywhere, at all, ever, in a remotely official capacity, possibly in some kind of printed item... OK that's my last time harping on that... probably.)

I may be mistaken, but I believe it has to do with how quick the sights are. The bigger longer range sights are often described as heavy or slow, and I have noticed a notable difference in how fast you can aim with them.

by General Battuta, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 16:57 (3473 days ago) @ Xenos

To my understanding target acquisition represents magnetism/autoaim - or at least that's what I was told when I wrote the sight descriptions. I think this is laid out in the official strategy guide, so I'm not saying anything secret...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Sunday, November 02, 2014, 17:27 (3473 days ago) @ General Battuta

I'm pretty sure target acquisition refers to snapping, as in when you press LT[L2] when aiming in the general direction of the target, it'll automatically aim at, or snap to, that target.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 20:33 (3473 days ago) @ General Battuta

To my understanding target acquisition represents magnetism/autoaim - or at least that's what I was told when I wrote the sight descriptions. I think this is laid out in the official strategy guide, so I'm not saying anything secret...

OK thank you; I guess we'll have to test anyway to see how much different sights matter, or if they matter, because I have used different sights on weapons and I never noticed a difference in auto-aim or reticle magnetism.
Hey, guy that was comparing weapons, I forget your handle, something with three words and no capitals or word breaks, could you add that, pretty please?

calling someotherguy...

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 20:35 (3473 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

You rang?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 02:38 (3472 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by someotherguy, Monday, November 03, 2014, 02:59

I too had assumed it affected magnetism. I'll take a look today, though Im not entirely sure how I'll compare that. Will have a play and see what I can find.

If nothing else I'll find out how much of a difference the sights make to ADS speed.

I've got a meeting this afternoon, but watch this space.

Qualitative Results

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 06:45 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

So I just tested Steadyhand (no acquisitIon), Truesight (good acquisition) and Sureshot (superb) on the same weapon, to see how they felt.

I can't really "measure" target snap or autoaim/magnetism, so obviously this is all qualitative and anecdotal.

Essentially I didnt see a difference. There doesn't seem to be any snap-to aim assist, at least in PvE (didnt test PvP. Hard to get targets to stand still long enough). There's also no difference in the range at which the reticule (reticle?) turns red,

There might be a slight increase in magnetism, but not enough that I can say it wasn't confirmation bias, and definitely not enough to be worth picking Sureshot over the higher stability Steadyhand.

Im thinking maybe it affects zoom? According to the wiki Iron Dights dont affect zoom, but I'll have a test myself.

Quantitative post for ADS time coming soon. Need more data.

Qualitative Results

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 06:49 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

So I just tested Steadyhand (no acquisitIon), Truesight (good acquisition) and Sureshot (superb) on the same weapon, to see how they felt.

I can't really "measure" target snap or autoaim/magnetism, so obviously this is all qualitative and anecdotal.

Essentially I didnt see a difference. There doesn't seem to be any snap-to aim assist, at least in PvE (didnt test PvP. Hard to get targets to stand still long enough). There's also no difference in the range at which the reticule (reticle?) turns red,

There might be a slight increase in magnetism, but not enough that I can say it wasn't confirmation bias, and definitely not enough to be worth picking Sureshot over the higher stability Steadyhand.

Im thinking maybe it affects zoom? According to the wiki Iron Dights dont affect zoom, but I'll have a test myself.

Quantitative post for ADS time coming soon. Need more data.

What about hitting crit spots? In my Scout Rifle days, felt like I would hit crit spots much more easily using certain scopes.

Qualitative Results

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:27 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It's a possibility, but I didnt feel any additional magnetism towards the crit spot or anything like that.

I do feel that the Truesight and Steadyhand are nicer sights visually mind you. Less distracting than the Steadyhand's big white box.

Possible test?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 20:26 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

It's a possibility, but I didnt feel any additional magnetism towards the crit spot or anything like that.

Maybe try it on Patrol, where headshots from a SR are instant kills, but anywhere else is not? I feel like that's where I saw the difference the most.

Possible test?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 03:10 (3471 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yeah, that's where I was. Patrol on the Moon, specifically. You're right in that I definitely have an easier time with certain sights. But never the Iron Sights, which are the ones with 'Target Acquisition' modifiers.

Will go and have a proper look later though, cause it has to do something

Hmm, there might be something to this

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 03, 2014, 09:55 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've noticed my ability to hit crits from really far away has degraded since I changed scopes on my Scout Rifle. Before, I could shoot a few pixels above Dreg heads and still get the crits. Now I have to carefully aim...

Custom Optics for Enhanced Zoom, too

by Kahzgul, Sunday, November 02, 2014, 21:25 (3473 days ago) @ Acheron

As far as I can tell, the Custom Optics for Enhanced Zoom mod makes zero difference on a weapon as well. It certainly doesn't improve zoom as advertised on my Cryptic Dragon scout rifle.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 02:57 (3472 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Odd, I'm 90% certain it affects my Vesta Noblese. What sights are you using? Is it possible it doesn't affect Iron Sights?

Will add it to my list of things to check today.

Yep, works on Noblesse, regardless of Sight type

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:01 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 03, 2014, 18:20 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

Is it possible it doesn't affect Iron Sights?

Might be. I'm certain that it affects scopes - I tested it once (and actually didn't like it on the gun I was using at the time).

Nah, tested it. It works on Iron Sights

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 18:26 (3472 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

I was wrong, Custom Optics does work

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 22:00 (3470 days ago) @ someotherguy

I just double checked, and it turns out it does work. It just *barely* works. My Cryptic Dragon has the following sights:

- Red Dot-OAS - barely any additional zoom, not significant at all. I could only tell there was any zoom by actually lining up an object at the edge of the screen and then changing to custom optics or not. The field of view within the scope still appeared to be the same.

- Focus Lens FLA5 - more zoom than the red dot, but again, the area within the scope appears to be the same, and I only notice the zoom by lining up objects on the outside of the scope and turning the custom optics on or off without otherwise moving my crosshair.

- Truesight IS - Similar degree of zoom to the red dot-oas. Hilariously, this scope is a flip-up holo display with green dot crosshair, and is not, in fact, Iron Sights.

--

But the result is that custom optics does appear to increase the zoom. I'm guessing it's like a 10% increase? It's basically negligible for the above sights.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread