People are having their vault storage erased

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:02 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I've put 132 hours into destiny, if I lose everything that i've accumulated, I'll be done with Bungie.

Says something about what's important then doesn't it? If my profile were deleted from my original Xbox and I lost my Halo progress, that would be no big deal at all. Destiny on the other hand… I guess the valuable things in Destiny don't stay with you the way they did in Halo.

by petetheduck, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:15 (3472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've put 132 hours into destiny, if I lose everything that i've accumulated, I'll be done with Bungie.

Says something about what's important then doesn't it? If my profile were deleted from my original Xbox and I lost my Halo progress, that would be no big deal at all. Destiny on the other hand… I guess the valuable things in Destiny don't stay with you the way they did in Halo.

It's alarming that hundreds of hours of gameplay can be voided by holding X for a few seconds at the main menu.

Destiny needs to protect player's progression. If all is lost, there needs to be a way to recover things--whether it's a vendor that sells any item you've acquired or something, I do occasionally worry about it. There needs to be absolute progression tied to your gamertag that cannot be lost.

I'm enjoying the game, but the prospect of starting over isn't pleasant.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:25 (3472 days ago) @ petetheduck

Destiny needs to protect player's progression.

Yes, but the best video games are one in which player progression involves your skill improving and your brain changing. The huge majority of my progression in Halo is not saved on a server or hard disk, but in the neural pathways in my brain. So as long as I have that, I always have my progression (and if you lose your brain, you have bigger problems).

by petetheduck, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:38 (3472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny needs to protect player's progression.

Yes, but the best video games are one in which player progression involves your skill improving and your brain changing. The huge majority of my progression in Halo is not saved on a server or hard disk, but in the neural pathways in my brain. So as long as I have that, I always have my progression (and if you lose your brain, you have bigger problems).

That's why I like the Vault of Glass so much. We're now running it 5 hours faster than our first attempt; the task of learning the encounters and executing more efficiently is rewarding as a player.

Loot is great and all, but Destiny's way of loot distribution is garbage. DeeJ was telling us pre-launch how, if someone saw a gun we had, we could tell them--no, we could bring them in to our party and go do a task and acquire that gun.

I can't think of any gun other than the Stranger's pulse rifle that fits that description.

If I lost all progress but knew which handful of guns I loved and I knew what I needed to do to get them; this Strike, that mission--then it would not be a big deal. But it's all random. Sure, that can be a design choice, but then you need to prevent Vault glitches and you need to create better character protection. I'M not going to delete my character, but outside of password locking my entire gamertag, what protection do I have?

by Avateur @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 17:10 (3472 days ago) @ petetheduck

Just five hours faster? We got it done in 51 minutes once. I think that was the second run we did after you left that one time. :P

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:28 (3472 days ago) @ petetheduck

Destiny needs to protect player's progression. If all is lost, there needs to be a way to recover things--whether it's a vendor that sells any item you've acquired or something,

This is kind of already in the game. The pre-order and Bungie.net unlockable ghosts/sparrows/ships/emblems can all be re-purchased from the vendor at any time. They just need to apply that to anything you've acquired. That way if you need to make room, or accidentally delete something, you could always buy it back later.

To keep people from abusing this (using the buy back as a "backup vault") have any items re-purchased have a stat reset. So while you'd be able to get your stuff back, you would still need to re-level it.

Or better yet...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:07 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:14

Destiny needs to protect player's progression. If all is lost, there needs to be a way to recover things--whether it's a vendor that sells any item you've acquired or something,

This is kind of already in the game. The pre-order and Bungie.net unlockable ghosts/sparrows/ships/emblems can all be re-purchased from the vendor at any time. They just need to apply that to anything you've acquired. That way if you need to make room, or accidentally delete something, you could always buy it back later.

To keep people from abusing this (using the buy back as a "backup vault") have any items re-purchased have a stat reset. So while you'd be able to get your stuff back, you would still need to re-level it.

Base it off Grimoire Cards. If you have the card but not the weapon then Tess has said weapon;

Except if "Was _____ Sharded" is Yes.

Edit: That said - this method wouldn't help with lost shards/glimmer.

Or better yet...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:11 (3472 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So long as you have to rebuy it with the equivalent value in coins, even sharding shouldn't be an issue. Useful for clearing out space. Then if someone is hit by the bug, Bungie just needs to send them a one-time coin package or something.

Doesnt solve Legendaries, but it'd be a start.

yep

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:24 (3472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

How 'bout No.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:41 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:56

Is it wrong that I was expecting a glitch like this to occur eventually? What triggers it? Do we even know? I have a few legendary and exotic based gear in there, which I usually have on my person, but last night I asked myself "Why do I carry these around" and put it in my Vault.

TL;DR? - I'm the reason this glitch exists. My bad.

It will be interesting to see what Bungie does in response to those who lost things.

Edit: ...or what they can do.

Edit2: Moral of the story - Make backups of your backups.

How 'bout No.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:52 (3472 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It will be interesting to see how long it takes as well. This is the sort of thing that should be priority #1, even greater priority than VoG bugs.

How 'bout No.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:59 (3472 days ago) @ Kalamari

It will be interesting to see how long it takes as well. This is the sort of thing that should be priority #1, even greater priority than VoG bugs.

Flat out. The response is clear. "Bungie if this happens to me; We're done". All things considered I can't blame them. I myself may as well if it happens to me. This is a Gamestopper grade shit.

At least it's not as bad as the Myth II Uninstaller :p

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:49 (3472 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Hopefully Bungie never tops that

Just emptied mine manually

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:07 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Everything I care about is now in the pockets of one of my characters.

And if they manage to lose that, yeah, Im probably done.

I want to do this, but don't want to risk going on.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:09 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

I was already in there, so I just grabbed everything.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:19 (3472 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I don't know if it would work, but you could check B.Net to see if it says there's anything in your vault.

Probably still a risk though. If B.net says its empty you're screwed and you know it. If it doesnt... you still might be screwed, you just won't know until you look.

Curse you Schrödinger! CURRRRRSE YOUUUUUU!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:22 (3472 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Schrödinger's Raid

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 10:56 (3472 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Here is a vault. Is there raid gear in it?

Raid Relativity Theory

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 03, 2014, 10:58 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

The less chests you open, the higher the likelihood one of the chests you didn't open had raid gear in it.

Turing Test for Raids

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 10:59 (3472 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If you're convinced this chest will finally have raid gear, it won't.

Fermi Paradox for Raids

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:07 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If raid gear exists why haven't I found it yet?

Time for psychoanalysis!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:12 (3472 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Here, have a penis.

Dammit, I still had the raid paradox of ascendent materials!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:13 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

If the moon is made of green cheese, then there is raid gear in this chest.

It's ok. Here, sit down.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:16 (3472 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Tell me about your Dinklebot.

I keep having this recurring dream

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:17 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm trying to cheese atheon and I can't get my grenade off.

IRL LOL

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:25 (3472 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Fermi Paradox for Raids

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:17 (3472 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If raid gear exists why haven't I found it yet?

Because I have it all. 1 raid. 3 different class appropriate pieces of raid armor. But this backwards theory everyone is poking around seems to hold true. I went in NOT wanting armor :p

Multiverses

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 11:26 (3472 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Clearly you're not from this universe, and can only post your experience here through timespace shenanigans.

Or we're all living in a Vex simulation, and they are all assholes.

Weaponised Ontology FTW *NM*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, November 03, 2014, 12:07 (3472 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I don't think, therefor I am not. *poof!*

Weaponised Ontology FTW *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 03, 2014, 13:21 (3472 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I don't think, therefor I am not. *poof!*

Gorgon prototypes were pretty rough going for a while.

Mine doesn't have anything vital ATM

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:09 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Which is probably good. I'll be disappointed if I lose my Legenday Hunter gear that I've been storing in there, but since I haven't yet started a Hunter it won't really hurt me if I lose it.

Mine has everything vital ATM

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 03, 2014, 08:13 (3472 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I have two warlocks so I keep everything in the vault and put it back after using, so I can switch it to whichever I feel like getting on there with.

I'd honestly be madder about losing my character than my gear though, with the vanguard rep rank I have I'd be able to re-gear relatively quickly, but doing that terrible campaign again to level to 20 would definitely turn me off the game.

by R41, Monday, November 03, 2014, 09:11 (3472 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Thankfully I don't have anything valuable in there anyway, so it's all good. Well, for me at least.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 03, 2014, 23:59 (3471 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I have almost 300 hours in Destiny. If I lose everything, it's no big deal. If all that you're getting out of a game is the "tangible" rewards, then buddy, you're playing for all the wrong reasons. You're a Cody Statistic. A grinding machine that only cares for the rewards at the end of the grind, rather than the gaming experience itself.

Just let go...

Personally, starting fresh would be a neat experience. There's a reason that people "Prestige" in games, and I don't hear people lamenting that they have to earn credits to unlock this and that on items. And even so, you're not entirely starting over, it's just whatever you plunked into the vault, which 90% of the time is gear that you're never going to use anyway...

It's funny that in real life, I compulsively hoard things, but there have been many times where I ended up losing a large amount of the things that I felt that I absolutely needed. And not once have I ever felt bad about them being gone. It's the losing part that gets us all worked up, I think, rather than having to continue without that which we lost...

Wipe my slate, Bungie, I'll still be around...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 19:39 (3471 days ago) @ Korny

It's funny that in real life, I compulsively hoard things, but there have been many times where I ended up losing a large amount of the things that I felt that I absolutely needed. And not once have I ever felt bad about them being gone. It's the losing part that gets us all worked up, I think, rather than having to continue without that which we lost...

This is why a hobby of collecting things, of whatever sort, is stupid and sad for adults to do. Still, there are lots of video games that promote collection which makes ME sad.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread