Tips for Dominating Control (Destiny)

by Paper Cut2u, Sunday, November 16, 2014, 01:13 (3476 days ago)

These are some of the strategies that I use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEWlID4J5jY

1. Capture points. 2. Kill enemies.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 16, 2014, 01:37 (3476 days ago) @ Paper Cut2u

These are some of the strategies that I use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEWlID4J5jY

3. Only capture two of the three points, that way you control enemy spawns and can funnel them through one side of the map.
4. Stay about ten feet away from a teammate at all times. Control points are killzones, don't stick too close together.

Which point do you want to hold? Kahzgul knows

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 17, 2014, 01:00 (3475 days ago) @ Korny

Blindwatch:
Never, EVER capture point A, even if you start on that side of the map. It spawns you miles from the other two zones. Hold C at all costs and you will win this map. There's a fantastic sniping vantage from the heavy weapon spawn between B and C where you can headshot enemies running through the door at the top of the long stairwell before they can even shoot you. Similarly good lines of sight down the hallway near B and looking at the access routes to C.

Firebase Delphi:
Point A has a much cleaner and easier route to point B than C does. A good sniper can snipe from the end of the direct path between A and B and can pick off enemies attempting to take B while other players flank the window access. Most enemies coming through the window will turn right towards B, leaving their backs exposed to you. If you are at point C (not the end of the world), either focus on taking A or use the hallway from C-side's heavy ammo spawn so you can't be as easily out maneuvered.

Bastion:
Terrible map, too big, with crap sight lines. Just run in a circle taking each base in turn while the enemy team does the same thing. When heavy ammy spawns are announced, get the heavy ammo as your top priority - that's the only difference maker here. Blind firing rockets into point B almost always gets you points (assuming you have proximity detonation).

First Light:
While we're talking about terrible maps... Again, too big with mostly poor sightlines. A perimeter sniper is annoying, but also really doesn't factor into holding the spawns, so they can be safely ignored if you get after control points. Points A and C have a good, direct route between them that also links heavy ammo and protects you from snipers. Because of that, point B is the tricky point and the critical one to hold. If you have B, then trade A and C back and forth with the opposing team and you'll win. If they have B, go get it!

Shores of TIme:
Fantastic map IMO! Every path through the map is a good path to take in different circumstances and there are way too many access points to be able to guard them all. Perimeter snipers between B and C are very effective, as is a good sniper at point A looking down the hallways (though they are susceptible to attack from the heavy weapon cave above). All points are good here, but I guess if I had to pick I'd take point A as my preferred spawn because of the proximity to a relatively defendable heavy ammo spawn.

Exodus Blue:
I'm not a huge fan of this map, but that's not entirely the map design's fault. There's just a lot of wasted space on the outskirts of the map that doesn't factor in to Control matches. Speaking of which, there's a super crappy spawn point for players that's sort of at the apex of a triangle where points A and C are the other two vertices. Woe betide those who spawn that far from all of the control points. Heavy ammo is hard to control since it's a little bit aways from both spawns and control points, and there's lots of paths through the map. B is the carnage point and I try to avoid it unless I have either heavy ammo or a super ready. The key here is to control A and C whenever possible, while doing your best to rack up kills at B.

Twilight Gap:
Great map with lots of action. Good sight lines and good ways to avoid those sight lines. Sniping from C towards the point A heavy ammo hall is very effective, as is sniping from on top of the railing (not the wall) from A to C, in the middle area near the traintracks (trains? I don't know what else those tracks are for. Gun ammo for the howitzers?) As with First Light, point B is the odd man out here, making it the critical point to hold while the majority of fighting takes place between A and B. I actually recommend only assaulting B when your team doesn't own it, and otherwise focusing on A and C. This is because: B is very easy to access and very hard to defend and if you manage to hold both A and C at the same time the enemy spawns near B put them basically directly in the line of fire for your team. The heavy ammo spawn by C is much less contested than the spawn by A. As you move, use your jumping to go around the back of A when attacking, and run under and behind C to confuse the enemy there.

Rusted Lands:
Great map! I prefer point A because of the protected heavy ammo spawn behind it (and teammates at the flag will get heavy ammo drops because they count as "in proximity" I guess, which is great). Good sniping point to point, with some alternate paths that protect the attacker while remaining less direct. Lots of vertical level play here to contend with, which is also very important. If you can get A and B, the enemy at C really only has two approaches and fireteams at each choke point (the wall by B and the water tank between A and C) can pretend they're playing Hogan's Alley.

Good luck, Guardians!

PS: I mention sight lines so you know where to set up if you're sniping and where to avoid if you're not. The other weapons aren't as level-dependant on their utility, so I'm not mentioning good shotgun corners etc...

PPS: Pikes are great, but the Interceptor is a death trap. They really nerfed that thing way too hard imo.

New patch makes some of this obsolete

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 17, 2014, 09:33 (3475 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Gah, of COURSE it does! Sneaky Bungie, stealin' mah notes

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 13:46 (3474 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Serves me right for posting my strategy guide on patch day. Look for a revision in the coming weeks.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 14:03 (3474 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Serves me right for posting my strategy guide on patch day. Look for a revision in the coming weeks.

On a related note, I hated the changes to Blind Watch until I played a few games on it, now I'm really happy with the changes.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 14:05 (3474 days ago) @ Xenos

What are they?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 14:18 (3474 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What are they?

Shutters are closed in the room by C, C is moved closer to where the old spawn was, spawn by C moved back by the corner with the door. B moved from the landing to the middle of the three-way stairwell. A moved to behind the tank like things next to the fan.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread