Dear Master Rahool... (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 19:15 (3455 days ago)

My six-year-old son plays as a Warlock Guardian, and he's managed to reach Level 24, despite his limited ability to read. He really enjoys the worlds outside the Tower, and his favorite reward is picking up an Engram and returning it to you for help in decoding what magnificent prize it might contain.

Needless to say, when he encounters a rare engram, he is especially excited to visit your shop. Two weeks ago, he did just that, only to find that his rare Engram contained a Legendary item! Imagine his giddiness and animated excitement! There was jumping and shouting and shortness of breath upon seeing a handsome piece of chest armor. He hurriedly opened his inventory, as fast as his little fingers could do so....

There was his shiny new chest armor. "Why is is grayed out, Dad?" "Why can't I equip it??" "What's that red bar???" With each passing second his excitement tempered into anxiety and trepidation. As his father, I had the unenviable task of telling him, "I'm sorry, buddy, that's a TITAN chest armor." Tears formed. Then flowed. A controller dropped to the couch. In utter despair and simmering rage, he picked up the controller and dismantled the wretched prize. I picked up the pieces of his disappointment, and life went on.

Fast forward a few days. Again an Engram! It's rare! Back to see you, Master Rahool. What might it contain? A rare auto rifle? No! A Legendary item!! With the excitement reserved only for Christmas morning, he again opened his inventory to inspect his new helmet. How awesome he would look as a helmeted Warlock, and fierce slinger of suns and walker of voids....

Alas, this helmet was meant for a mighty Titan. Tears formed. And tears flowed. Disappointment and wrath followed, swiftly dismantling the offending item. More life lessons in disappointment.

Fast forward to this evening. I played alongside him as we vanquished a vile Wizard in the Cosmodrome. Another rare Engram or two brought us back to your fine shop at the Tower. He unlocked it, expecting a rare armor to add to his solar thrower. But it was Legendary! Oh what luck! That sweet sound, those flashing purple highlights around a fine piece of chest armor signaled hope that this time, things would be different. We gave high fives, and he opened up his inventory....

To reveal chest armor that only a Titan could love. Or wear for that matter. Again with the tears and disappointment, although thanks to your continual teasing, those lasted only a short time as jadedness set in to his heart. This time, however, he kept the item, tucking it away in the vault until one day he can use its ascendent shards.

I write to ask if you can find it in your cold, random-number-generated heart to cut the kid some slack. He doesn't have enough reputation anywhere, because, frankly, he doesn't have the time, patience, or reading ability to rank up. He plays for the shear joy of exploring worlds and eliminating the enemies of the Traveler and humanity with extreme, auto-rifle-filled prejudice.

He will make a great Guardian someday, Master Rahool. Better watch your back.

Dear Master Rahool...

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 01:11 (3454 days ago) @ Oholiab

Destiny, rated: [image]

While Miguel Has A Point...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 07:11 (3454 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I am extremely less strict/prejudiced in this case. At least it's not M.

And Oholiab, I thought you were like, 22! I remember playing with you last year and you sounded a lot younger.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly. Rahool is an absolute jerk. So many times have I quivered with excitement on getting a Legendary Engram, only to find out it's only two rare, or something for every class but mine, or even worse--the same damn two things I always get--Axiom Coven or Nemesis Plane. It's really ridiculous. However, at least I saved a couple for when I rank my other characters up.

by Oholiab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 08:05 (3454 days ago) @ Morpheus

And Oholiab, I thought you were like, 22!

Add 15 years and you're getting closer.

As a father who enjoys gaming with his kids, I really appreciate that this game is T. Aside from the visual freakiness of the Hive Thralls and the adrenaline-inducing intensity of the areas with absolutely no ambient light, I have no reservations about letting my kids play for limited periods of time at specific days/times.

Another reason I let them play: I'm getting some really good opportunities to teach them about the realities of life thanks to our Cryptarch friend.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:46 (3454 days ago) @ Oholiab

Same here. Lil' Blue (age 7) and I are having a lot of fun together.

Rated T for Tears

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 07:16 (3454 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

+1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:50 (3454 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

The lesson he should have learned...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 03:26 (3454 days ago) @ Oholiab

Was that if he'd made a Titan character, he'd have 3 pieces of Legendary armour for it already.

*Sigh*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 04:52 (3454 days ago) @ Oholiab

Now... Where is that bag of doorknobs?

teachable moment

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:25 (3454 days ago) @ Oholiab

If he's managed to get to 24, he should be nearing level 3 vanguard. If not, teach him about "jobs" (bounties) and how you earn money (marks) from doing jobs, and how you can buy things you want when you have money. Doing a good job, gets you reputation. Having a good reputation leads to raises and bonuses (packages).

Help him pick up bounties each day and explain to him what they mean. Now with 10 slots, he can load up on a couple of day's worth and either work towards them or get them eventually through random gameplay.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread