More Wishes (Destiny)

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:34 (3454 days ago)

Thank you bungie for the no-menu-kickout change.

Life has become easier and it has made a big difference. It feels like I have more time to do stuff.

I imagine that some of the other things we asked for are still being worked on but there are still some things I'd like to see to make my, many, hours of Destiny usage even more pleasant (even more less frustrating/niggly).

I will append individual requests as subject headers and give reasons why I want them in the message bodies (unless the reasons are obvious).

-PS Although these are niggles they hit me several times a day, some happens dozens of times a day (over 3 chracters) and I might be playing most days for ~10 years (save me from myself!!!).

Tower as Default location

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:38 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I start the game, select my character then I have to tell Destiny that I want to go to the Tower.

I'm not asking to spawn in the Tower (well not in this post) I just want the Tower pre-filled-in.

The same happens when I switch characters. Ugh!! Fill it in, I can change it if it isn't where I want to go. Doing this adds no extra work for the user (that I can see).

Yes, please.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 08:51 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Tower as Default location

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 12:17 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I think this makes a lot of sense. Unless my sense of Destiny's usual flow is WAY off, I'd wager that most players go to the tower more than any other individual destination, so if we're going to have a default, that would make sense. Also, it's the first place I go on any given day, to check the bounties.

Make Sparrows Intangible when not on them

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:41 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I race to a doorway, jump out, and my Sparrow blocks me. I have to do an awkward jump to get past it.

This also happens with other people's Sparrows. I block them, they block me.

I'd love to just run through it.

Don't park so close. Problem solved.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 08:49 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I like your other ideas but this one seems pretty silly. Tangible vehicles have been a thing all the way back to people stuffing Warthogs into the entrances to blood gulch. Just jump off sooner. Jump off slightly off center. Jump off almost literally anywhere else and you won't get in your own way.

how does that help me if another person does it?

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:48 (3454 days ago) @ Ragashingo

and how would it hurt you if Sparrows were intangible when you dismount?

Scorpion turrets weren't tangible

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:52 (3454 days ago) @ Ragashingo

in later games.

The only downside...

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 18:33 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

...no more sparrow surfing.

Other than that, though, it doesn't really make sense that they stick around at all. In most cases, it seems easier and faster to summon a new sparrow than it is to get back to your old one and get back on. And it's not like they stick around long enough to even be useful. If you're doing anything other than hopping off to open a chest or pick up some spirit bloom before hopping back on, your ride is going to be gone before you get a chance to get back on. They really only seem to stick around just long enough to get in the way.

-Disciple

and they don't need to be solid to trigger mount prompt

by scarab @, Friday, November 21, 2014, 08:26 (3453 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Ah, right.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, November 21, 2014, 08:51 (3453 days ago) @ scarab

Intangible ≠ Non-existent. Not sure why I made that leap.

That could be cool. They could just fade to a glowing white wire frame sort of like the Vex spires.

-Disciple

Go To Tower Option

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:44 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Yeh, I know, it's a repeat but has to happen.

Yes, please. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 08:51 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Switching Characters

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:48 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

There are times I wish it wasn't even necessary to do this just to swap weapons or inventory so my multiple character related wishes fall into two camps:

• make it not necessary for certain tasks
  • make it easier/faster

Removing necessity - shared inventory

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 05:56 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

If inventory was shared across characters then there would be no need to switch.

I have a fallback position of wishes in regard to this, best to least-best.

Best - enabled from start.
Less best - enabled after level 20?

• everything shared
  • just non-mission/non-bounty stuff shared

Given that I can swap non-mission stuff it is just a PITA to do it by switching back and forth between characters.

Just let me go into menu and use the stuff I slaved for. I did the work, me the player, my hours are invested in those resources. I just want to get at them easily.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:19 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Just let me go into menu and use the stuff I slaved for. I did the work, me the player, my hours are invested in those resources. I just want to get at them easily.

I think a good solution would be to have the vault accessible at all times. It could be another tab on your menu page. You would have access to your vault, as well as pull items from your other characters on that one screen.

by digital_ronin, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:00 (3454 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That vault accessible at all times, removes 10 pieces of gear limit. I don't think that is game breaking, but it does change things.

If the vault was accessible from your spaceship, then at least you wouldn't have to load up the tower and that wouldn't break the 10 pieces limit while in mission.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:07 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

That vault accessible at all times, removes 10 pieces of gear limit. I don't think that is game breaking, but it does change things.

If the vault was accessible from your spaceship, then at least you wouldn't have to load up the tower and that wouldn't break the 10 pieces limit while in mission.

This would be a fun mechanic to limit in raids or nightfall too: you can't access your vault during these, so you have to be more strategic about what you bring.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:25 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

Good compromise. That's a good point, although no activity, including the hard mode raid, requires you to have and switch between so many items.

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:18 (3454 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If we are talking inventory - tangible items - then they don't need to be per character. The player did the work to pick them up.

I could see this messing up story progression if a level 2 had access to legendary gear and all the upgrade materials.

But Gear and Weapons are already level restricted so does it matter if a level 2 can see spirit bloom in the shared inventory?

And it's all you so your level 2 self is unlikely to delete the relic iron that your level 28 needs, out of spite or whatever.

I can gift this stuff to my younger characters, my younger selves. So if I can do it then I might as well be able to do it easily.

This would make more room in the vault as it wouldn't need to hold the stuff you want to transfer. Because you would no longer need to transfer it. It would just be there, always available.

I'm not sure how that would work with weapons as you might use different sets of weapons to reflect your class choices. Does anyone do this? My Hunter has Last Word because the transition between Golden Gun and Last Word is more natural than between GG and any other weapon but that is the only case where I think in terms of class specific weapon sets.

Do you guys have specific weapons per character? I bet it happens.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 12:15 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Do you guys have specific weapons per character? I bet it happens.

I probably will, once I have multiple characters. Not sure yet what weapons those will be - I'll have to get a feel for how I play those other classes.

Right now I have two Warlock builds I tend to run, and I do switch up weapons a bit between them. My Sunsinger tends toward close-range stuff a little more.

Making it Easier

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 06:23 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Currently I:

• go into menu
  • navigate to options and select change
  • wait for a character choice screen to load
  • select character
  • wait for spaceship
  • select destination (probably where I already was)
  • travel back to where I was

How about having a dropdown on the settings tab. I pick character directly and skip a selection screen and all it's loading baggage.

How about if I'm in the Tower or in orbit then I just switch. I understand that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes but, as a user, I don't care. To me, if I was in the Tower, it would be just like changing a shader.

Is all that messing around with choice screens and destination picking and traveling there to hide the time it takes to load data for an inactive character? If so I'd rather spend that time doing something other than performing, unnecessary UI work. I could have a wee or get a drink - real world stuff - read a post here.

Given the current state of play with switching characters (the need to put stuff in vault), I am already in the place I need to be to pick that stuff up.

Making it Easier

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 07:04 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Currently I:

• go into menu
  • navigate to options and select change
  • wait for a character choice screen to load
  • select character
  • wait for spaceship
  • select destination (probably where I already was)
  • travel back to where I was

How about having a dropdown on the settings tab. I pick character directly and skip a selection screen and all it's loading baggage.

How about if I'm in the Tower or in orbit then I just switch. I understand that there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes but, as a user, I don't care. To me, if I was in the Tower, it would be just like changing a shader.

Is all that messing around with choice screens and destination picking and traveling there to hide the time it takes to load data for an inactive character? If so I'd rather spend that time doing something other than performing, unnecessary UI work. I could have a wee or get a drink - real world stuff - read a post here.

Given the current state of play with switching characters (the need to put stuff in vault), I am already in the place I need to be to pick that stuff up.

I still like the idea of a personal barracks in the Tower where my alt characters live as NPCs. I could go there and inhabit the character I want to be. There would probably have to be another purpose for the barracks to justify it for all players. I'd like to know the percentage of players have different characters.

I only had one until 3 weeks ago.

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:38 (3454 days ago) @ Kermit

I like the variety but the management is becoming more of a chore. Try being in a fireteam who wants to blitz all the weeklies (weeklys?) on all characters. This was my first week where I could do all 3 (my Hunter was the runt of the litter).

I wan't the only one who was having difficulties. Chatting with others distracts you and you forget stuff, pick up the wrong version of a weapon or forget what character has what. BNet can be slow as you often have to sign in again or it's just slow. So it doesn't always help you find that one weapon that must be in one of your alts.

Switching Characters

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 08:57 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I'm ok with characters having separate inventories, but I would love a switch character option that automated taking me back to the location I'm currently at. If I'm at The Tower or in a Crucible playlist or on Venus selecting this should spawn me as my new character at that location as if I had selected it on the map, or put me in orbit and automatically select the Crucible playlist I was in.

This should be a separate option from normal character switching in case I don't want to rejoin the Nightfall Strike of Everlasting Cheesy Doom...

Switching Characters

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:31 (3454 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is it the ultimate cheese to switch class/character mid fight?

To me it's no big deal in orbit or in the Tower.

If you did in in combat is it any worse than changing sub-class?

Right now, changing character takes you out of a fire team. If your team is trying to get all Nightfalls for all characters then the current system is a mega-pain. Party chat helps you all keep together whilst everybody plays the vault mini-game.

I thought that more people would be against the idea of switching mid world-activity. Is anybody massively bothered by the idea?

Again, you can switch them so why shouldn't it be done easily?

How real is the class distinction to you? I see all my characters as the one person, even our spaceships are the same. I just put on different clothes that let me do different things.

How real and tangible are the class distinctions for you?

Switching Characters

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:44 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

How real and tangible are the class distinctions for you?

Very real. I have three completely separate characters. Each is a different race and class. I fully get making the same character three times to pretend they're just choosing to use a different aspect of the Traveler's Light, but it's not what I did. I like having different characters each with their own weapon preferences and personalities.

Dismantle Legendary & Exotic should be extra SLOW!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:10 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Super sad story for me. After running the raid many times fortune smiled on me & I got TWO armor drops this week, super awesome giddy happy happy joy joy!

Well, my new gear isn't leveled up, so I didn't equip it while playing iron banner this week. I didn't put my raid gear in the vault because I am afraid of losing it to the vanishing vault bug. (I'm sure you see what's coming). In the wee early hours of the morning when I should have been asleep I was dismantling all the 'junk' gear I got from IB and what happened? Wait! THUMB! STOP! Suddenly I got a couple shards from one of my pieces! Did that really happen? NOOOoooo!!!!!! I just deleted my shiny new Kabr's Forceful Greaves! Months of playing the lottery and my winning ticket was suddenly GONE.

Dismantling legendary & exotic gear should take at least twice as long as rare items.
1- the slower progress bar & increased time would clue you into what you're doing.
2- you'd have twice the time to actually clue into your mistake (I realized what I was doing a split second before it was junked, but it was too late for weary nerves to tell my damn thumb to get off that damned square).
3- legendary & exotics aren't that common (shocking, I know) so even if you are intentionally junking it having it take longer wouldn't affect the user in a negative way more than 0.001% of the time. Seriously worth the trade-off.

Having an undo would be nice too.

Isn't it a good bit slower already?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:14 (3454 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:21 (3454 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Not to my weary battle torn reflexes at 1:30AM, but perhaps. Wanna give it a test & see? ;) I certainly don't!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:22 (3454 days ago) @ dogcow

Not to my weary battle torn reflexes at 1:30AM, but perhaps. Wanna give it a test & see? ;) I certainly don't!

I'll try and remember to test it the next time I junk a legendary. Since I buy legendary gear specifically to junk for ascendant materials it shouldn't be a problem.

by Monochron, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:30 (3454 days ago) @ dogcow

Legendaries aren't all that much slower, but Exotics are WAY slower.

Dismantle Legendary & Exotic should be extra SLOW!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:47 (3454 days ago) @ dogcow

Having an undo would be nice too.

^This, at least until you leave character screen.

I finally mistakenly dismantled something. Fortunately, it was a low-level scout rifle that only mattered because it was only scout rifle my (relatively) low-level character had. The next week I got another, better one.

I wish the icons were more distinct, or you could categorize them while you're managing them.

Is it not slow enough already?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 09:55 (3454 days ago) @ Kermit

I just trashed a bunch of legendary\exotic stuff I couldn't use and I swear each one took at least "3 Mississippi's"....

Like, I had plenty of time to realize what I as doing, unless I was staring at the screen on auto-pilot or derp'd out. If that was the case, well, I probably deserved it.

Maybe it's faster on xbox or something?

What really ticks me off is that when I get a ship or sparrow I don't want, and I trash it, I don't get anything for it.

It's a ship. It should be made of shards or something. Bah.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:04 (3454 days ago) @ Revenant1988

What really ticks me off is that when I get a ship or sparrow I don't want, and I trash it, I don't get anything for it.

It's a ship. It should be made of shards or something. Bah.

I can get armor material from a titan butt towel, but not from a ship.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 12:30 (3454 days ago) @ bluerunner

I can get armor material from a titan butt towel, but not from a ship.

[image]

Dismantle twice for legondaries or exotics

by digital_ronin, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 10:58 (3454 days ago) @ dogcow

What if on legendary and exotic armor you have to run through the dismantle bar twice before it is gone. Closing the inventory or dismantling a different piece of gear resets the count. This removes the need to go super slow, infact legendary and exotic could go at the same fast speed.

Or perhap better yet, have a setting that auto-dismantles gear at the levels you select. So you could pick white, green, and blue and never see those in your inventory.

Dismantle twice for legondaries or exotics

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, November 20, 2014, 13:05 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

This could be a great solution, however I would like to still keep some blue engrams for my alts to decrypt when they initially hit 20.

Customization Screen

by digital_ronin, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:03 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

I'd like to see emblems and shaders as unlocks on a customization screen rather than individual items.

Everytime you buy or get an emblem or shader is shows up on the customization tab and can be chosen from there. You can still have reputation, class, or level requirements so that any character you have can't use anything.

Materials as counters rather than items

by digital_ronin, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:06 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

Make materials--shards, spinmetal, weapons parts, sapphire wire, etc--counters like glimmer that are shared across characters, rather than items. This would free up vault space and help eliminate the character juggling and tower travelling that so many people complain about.

Yes Please

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:48 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

- No text -

Or rather...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 12:06 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

Make materials--shards, spinmetal, weapons parts, sapphire wire, etc--counters like glimmer that are shared across characters, rather than items. This would free up vault space and help eliminate the character juggling and tower travelling that so many people complain about.

Make glimmer a material as well, share all of them across characters, and up the maximum count. Then only marks are per-character. Which sort-of make sense since they're earned for specific accomplishments with that character.

I can't really think of a reason why you'd want 200 Relic Iron on your Hunter, 200 on your Warlock and 200 on your Titan. Why not just 600 shared?

Or rather...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 13:19 (3454 days ago) @ RC

The way I was reading it is basically how you describe.

you have a counter for Spinmetal, Spirit Bloom, Ascendant Energy/Shards, etc.....

Anytime you get these materials on any of your characters it goes towards a shared counter that is accessible to all of your characters.

Keeping the marks separate is fine. I just share weapons that I buy with those marks through the vault anyways.

Get Rid of Vault Categories

by digital_ronin, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 11:09 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

The General section of the vault get full of materials, shaders, emblems, and even ships and sparrows and there is never enough space.

Weapons fill up with weapons to try out or trade between characters.

Armor tends to sit relatively empty because there is room to store it on character and only so much you want.

Get rid of the vault categories and make it one big grid. This alleviates the problem with some categories being over-utilized and others being under-utilized.

Keep Categories, but make it like MCC's Forge item budget

by kornman00, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 14:25 (3454 days ago) @ digital_ronin

We'd retain the Categories (I like having stuff at least semi-sorted), but have an overall Vault cap of 60, which acts as the pool for all the categories. We could have 60 weapons stored, or 10 Armor and 50 Weapons, etc.

With more Exotics coming out, I'm going to need a lot more space for my Weapons, which I can happily sacrifice from my Misc category.

there is a lot of time invested in fully upgraded weapons

by scarab @, Friday, November 21, 2014, 08:27 (3453 days ago) @ kornman00

- No text -

Hold Reload for Ammo Synthesis

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 12:07 (3454 days ago) @ scarab

It would be great to be able to hold reload to use Ammo Synthesis when empty.

This wouldn't be an issue if the screens would load in a timely manner. Waiting 15 seconds in a menu that allows you to still be shot at is a huge problem.

Makes sense

by scarab @, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 13:37 (3454 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread