Mythoclast firing mechanism (Destiny)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, November 21, 2014, 14:43 (3451 days ago)
edited by Schedonnardus, Friday, November 21, 2014, 14:48

From the grimoire:

...a causal loop within the weapon's mechanism, suggesting that the firing process somehow binds space and time into...

Some legends live forever. Others are overwritten - reshaped by the sheer will of those who believe that any ordeal can be conquered, any foe vanquished, any god cast down.

The Mythoclast is a Vex instrument from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands. Its origins, mechanism of action, and ultimate purpose remain unknown. Perhaps it will reveal itself to you, in time...

The mythoclast is a fusion rifle with no charge time, and fires full auto. The firing process "binds space and time." What if pulling the trigger is essentially opening a portal into the past (or future) and stealing (or redirecting) rounds fired either from the mythoclast itself, or another pulse rifle.

"Some legends live forever.others are overwritten" What if every time i shoot the mythoclast, I am stealing shots from a past guardian, causing him to "miss" and ultimately bringing his own doom? What if i am stealing shots from Kabr's team, and they stole them from someone else?

"Perhaps it will reveal itself to you, in time..."What if I am stealing my own shots sometime in the future when I'll need it most.....

More perplexing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 21, 2014, 15:14 (3451 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

The Mythoclast is a Vex instrument from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands.

This would imply it was designed for us by the Vex.

More perplexing

by petetheduck, Friday, November 21, 2014, 15:28 (3451 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by petetheduck, Friday, November 21, 2014, 15:34

The Mythoclast is a Vex instrument from some far-flung corner of time and space, mysteriously fit for human hands.

Or evolved from, or was reverse engineered to create the Pocket Infinity.

Edit: or, knowing the Vex, one created the other, which then created itself. The chicken came from the egg that came from the chicken.

More perplexing

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 21, 2014, 15:35 (3451 days ago) @ petetheduck

Edit: or, knowing the Vex, one created the other, which then created itself. The chicken came from the egg that came from the chicken.

My theory is actually that Vex are super-evolved versions of humans from the future. They do have organic components and take humanoid forms for example.

More perplexing

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, November 21, 2014, 15:45 (3451 days ago) @ Xenos

Could be a rampant exo that wanted a biological form, without losing the immorality of being a robot

More perplexing

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, November 21, 2014, 16:10 (3451 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I think they're a lot bigger than that!

- Vex "ruins" on Venus predated Humanity
- They transformed Mercury and were working on changing Venus when The Traveler stopped them at the end of the Golden Age.
- One captured Vex unit being researched on Venus used its incredible processing power to exactly simulate the scientist researching it.
- It is said that: "The Vex are architects of ancient and complex structures thought to be buried within every celestial body."
- They might be trying to: "to become a law of reality, inseparable from existence."
- They tend to the Black Garden and it's dark heart. "There are gardeners now. They came into the garden in vessels of bronze and they move through the groves in rivers of thought."
- They allied themselves to and worshiped The Darkness... a force or race or idea that we don't understand yet.
- But then they also made a weapon sized and shape for Humans?

We're missing some piece of the puzzle right now. One good question is: "Where did the Vex come from?" Perhaps a better one is "what are they trying to do?"

Our Ghost said they had taken over a ton of worlds. Why? They transformed Mercury but it is safe enough to hold Crucible matches on... so what are the Vex accomplishing? Are transformed planets being used as power supplies or gigantic processing nodes? Something else?

I really hope the story of the Vex gets to play all the way out.

More perplexing

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 21, 2014, 16:14 (3451 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- Vex "ruins" on Venus predated Humanity

Yeah, if my theory is true (which it's probably not) then Vex don't actually predate Humanity, they traveled back in time to a time before "present" humanity got to those planets.

More perplexing

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, November 22, 2014, 10:46 (3451 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Vex minds coursing through every world? Wonder what a mind the size of a universe thinks about.

More perplexing

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, November 22, 2014, 11:46 (3451 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Vex minds coursing through every world? Wonder what a mind the size of a universe thinks about.

I bet it has a terrible pain on all the diodes down its left side.

Sounds depressing :(

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 22, 2014, 19:43 (3450 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Humorously perplexing

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, November 24, 2014, 07:46 (3449 days ago) @ petetheduck

I recently received a mythoclast, and got a bizarre glitch when I pulled it out in our post-raid celebrations before we left for orbit. It fired exactly like a Pocket Infinity: 3 bullet mag, missed shots returning to mag. I thought I'd gotten squirreled.

It operated normally after that on the moon, so I chalked it up to vex trolling.

conjoiner drives

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, November 21, 2014, 19:13 (3451 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

If I'm remembering my Grimoire cards correctly, all of the Vex energy weapons function like Conjoiner drives from Revelation Space, in that the energy is coming from somewhere else entirely and is transported to the weapon via portal. I don't think that's a feature specific to the Mythoclast.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread