Out of context - Bungie must do better (Destiny)

by scarab @, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 01:12 (3450 days ago)

The original Halo was great for context appropriate NPC dialogue. The later games dropped the ball somewhat

But master what's-his-face in the Tower just... !!!

I turned in 200 glimmer and he said, "I was fond of that one".

I get a rare coin or a mote of light and he says, "I pity the enemy who faces you with that". I mean, yeah, if I threw it at his face I could put his eye out. ;-)

Come on Bungie: and least try a little. Some parts of Destiny do feel a bit lazy, a bit half-hearted; bits of Destiny are definitely, "Good enough".

"Looks like you underestima....."

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:20 (3450 days ago) @ scarab

SHUT UP SHAXX!!!

"We've heard the legends..."

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 24, 2014, 10:15 (3449 days ago) @ Mid7night

OH REALLY??? WHEN??

Out of context - Bungie must do better

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 23, 2014, 09:21 (3450 days ago) @ scarab

The original Halo was great for context appropriate NPC dialogue. The later games dropped the ball somewhat

But master what's-his-face in the Tower just... !!!

I turned in 200 glimmer and he said, "I was fond of that one".

I get a rare coin or a mote of light and he says, "I pity the enemy who faces you with that". I mean, yeah, if I threw it at his face I could put his eye out. ;-)

Come on Bungie: and least try a little. Some parts of Destiny do feel a bit lazy, a bit half-hearted; bits of Destiny are definitely, "Good enough".

Yeah, totally agree. The first two Halo games in particular were superb in this regard. Unfortunately (and I sound like a broken record on this) the new sound mix on the remastered versions keeps you from hearing that kind of dialogue a lot of the time. I remember laughing out loud at the marines, and it was big part of what gave Halo its personality. The stakes couldn't be higher in the narrative, but moment to moment, Cortana and the marines brought the world to life as not such a bad place to be. If you were going to die, at least you'd be in good company.

Destiny feels relatively sterile. Dinklage is a bit dry for my tastes. I know Destiny is a different game, but they've described their goal and making it a happy place. They haven't forgotten their sense of fun--they've included dancing, for gosh sake. That speaks to the difference, though. I think Destiny feels more like a Bungie game when you're not playing it alone. Given that there is less situational dialogue, it does seem that they could get it right when they do have it.

I will say that eavesdropping in the Tower is consistently interesting.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread