The $34.99 question. (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 06:57 (3448 days ago)

How are you guys feeling about the upcoming expansion pack, and the pass in general?

I bought Destiny digital for the free digital upgrade offer, but passed on purchasing the expansion pass until the EV-30 hints started dropping. By that point, the Vault of Glass had convinced me it was worth my purchase, pretty much exclusively for Crota's End.

I'm not sure why, but I'm expecting to be completely underwhelmed by the story missions and strike. I really enjoyed my first playthrough of Destiny, but I don't feel excited for that content.. maybe it is because it's not "new" enough; a new planet would definitely be exciting. I also don't enjoy Exotic Bounties so having story missions follow that model.. I don't know. We'll see.

The Raid, though. I'm dreading arc shield Knights and solar shield Wizards, but can't wait to dive in. It was a blast doing the Vault of Glass blind.

The Raid will feature completely new spaces, while the story missions and strike will take place in areas we've already been to or seen accessed through glitches. I think that has spoiled them a bit for me. I think Bungie's approach to reusing environments would be great for the longevity of those spaces (you know, if they gave us new activities inside those spaces, mixed up enemies, etc), but for expansions I really want to see completely new spaces, and not just a new one-way path like the Devil's Lair or King's Watch, but something like a new Mothyard.

The $34.99 question.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 07:14 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

Things are busy for me over the next month with all the Holidays and stuff. Plus I've a couple of friends who are almost leveled up to do the first raid. I don't see the point in doing the expansion until we have all done the raid at least once. I'll pick it up once things slow back down in early January probably.

The $34.99 question.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 07:53 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

The majority of my excitement comes from two things: the Raid, and the new items.

The Raid is by far the #1 thing. Running the Raid with a group from DBO (mostly) blind was awesome! I can't wait to experience that again with Crota's End!

As far as the reusing of spaces, I still don't think it'll be as bad as everyone is imagining, I think they left a significant amount of the spaces out of the game when it launched, but we'll see if I'm just being naive.

And with the lack of in-game purchases for items it makes me excited to try out the new items to be found in the expansion. I made a whole thread about the fact I really, really want that primary sniper rifle they teased. And I think from the critiques they received it may get a little less RNG in the future, but I won't be heartbroken if it stays pretty similar to how it is now as long as Xur gets a good rotation. That is unless they don't at least fix some of the RNG annoyance with Raids.

The $34.99 question.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 08:23 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

The Raid, though. I'm dreading arc shield Knights and solar shield Wizards, but can't wait to dive in. It was a blast doing the Vault of Glass blind.

I just completed the Thorn bounty in a 2 man group. Oh My Crota. Those arc shielded knights & solar shielded wizards! I'm certainly not looking forward to those in the raid.

I'll be honest, the hive are my 2nd to least favorite race to fight. The Vex are my favorite, perhaps because of the raid. I'm hoping the expansion/raid changes my feelings toward the Hive.

The $34.99 question.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 08:52 (3448 days ago) @ dogcow

I just completed the Thorn bounty in a 2 man group. Oh My Crota. Those arc shielded knights & solar shielded wizards! I'm certainly not looking forward to those in the raid.

I'll be honest, the hive are my 2nd to least favorite race to fight. The Vex are my favorite, perhaps because of the raid. I'm hoping the expansion/raid changes my feelings toward the Hive.

Hate the Hive, especially Phogath, but I'm excited about the new content. I deliberately avoided glitching into the new areas or watching many vids of it because I wanted save up my sense of discovery for when those areas were fully cooked.

The $34.99 question.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 15:43 (3448 days ago) @ dogcow

What, you don't have a Praedyth's Timepiece or a Fatebringer?

It's ok I don't have those either.

Waiting for the story reviews

by Monochron, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 10:16 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

I don't think I'm willing to get it only for Crota's End, which is what I would be doing if the story doesn't pick up a lot.
The way my schedule is, it is rare that I can commit time to a Raid so it's unlikely that I would drop the money on it if there nothing interesting story wise. Playing in new spaces is nice, but not all that alluring to me.
I'm not all that interested in PvP for the reasons I have previously listed, so new maps / gametypes aren't a big draw either.

Not enough time to Raid?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 11:00 (3448 days ago) @ Monochron

The last time I raided, it only took 2.5 hours (on normal). With a good group you can probably do even better than that.

Not enough time to Raid?

by petetheduck, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 11:07 (3448 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

The last time I raided, it only took 2.5 hours (on normal). With a good group you can probably do even better than that.

I think our group is hovering around just under an hour on normal.

Longer if we have Unreal in the party at the Gorgon Maze.

¬ ¬

Not enough time to Raid?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 15:44 (3448 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

My first time was about 11 hours.

One of our flawless raider runs was 34 minutes.

I abstain for the benefit of others

by Monochron, Friday, November 28, 2014, 17:26 (3446 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I can't really guarantee any solid unbroken chunk of time to commit, and I don't want to have to drop out with no notice and screw over the guys I would be playing with.

Just pick it up cheap when House of Wolves comes out...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 11:10 (3448 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

I refuse to buy the Expansion Pack until I play 1st Raid...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 12:32 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Perfectly reasonable. You gotta get in with our 360 peeps.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 12:33 (3448 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Indeed

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:18 (3448 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Trouble is, I will only have free time the Friday after Dark Below releases...

*shakes fist at Bellevue's general direction*

Damn. Rough schedule. We'll be waiting for you.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:35 (3448 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I will never again pay for anything prior to its release.

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 12:50 (3448 days ago) @ petetheduck

Mass Effect 3
Metroid: Other M
Destiny
Halo: The Master Chief Collection

There are countless other examples. Those are just the ones I've personally fallen for.

Never again.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:00 (3448 days ago) @ car15

Mass Effect 3

Why would you count that in? Complaining about the ending aside, that game was a complete package well worth $60 from a content-oriented perspective (as you have claimed to see things), and the multiplayer received countless free updates/maps/characters...

by HavokBlue, California, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:03 (3448 days ago) @ Korny

Because the developers blatantly lied during development of ME3. One thing was promised, another was delivered.

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:08 (3448 days ago) @ Korny

ME3 was a mostly great game, but it was clearly rushed out the door. There were so many cut corners and missed opportunities. If you hold it up to the standard of today's underwhelming AAA releases, it's not so bad, but compared to the first two Mass Effect games, it was an enormous let-down.

* Auto-dialogue.

* Shitty fetch quests that trigger from overhearing part of a random conversation.

* Zaeed and Kasumi-like interaction with team rather than full-scale conversations.

* Journal sucks.

* Required MP.

* Only 1 hub world.

* Linear "tunnel shooter" level designs everywhere else.

* Severely reduced role of ME2 squadmates.

* Femshep love interests got thrown under the bus. (Thane, Jacob)

* Unclear effects of important dialogue options. (Rannoch comes to mind.)

* Complete character assassination of Jacob in every way... I wasn't much of a fan of him in ME2, but even I can see that BioWare shat all over him.

* War Assets. (Let's break your complex interactions with the denizens of the galaxy down into an arbitrary number.)

* Your choices don't actually matter.

* The final mission fails to live up to its potential.

* Precisely how did the Illusive Man get onto the Citadel again?

* The ending sucks. Even with the Extended Cut, it makes no sense.

* The developers lied about the ending. This isn't a "Bungie lied about Destiny" complaint. BioWare openly and deliberately lied about the ending and how player choice would factor into how it played out. They did this throughout the development process right up until the week before launch. That was absolutely inexcusable.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 14:39 (3448 days ago) @ car15

No way it was worse than Mass Effect 2 which:

- Magically changed every gun in the universe to use thermal clips thus ruining the original's innovative and scifi worthy overheating system.
- Magically rebuilt what was perhaps the galaxy's most advanced and secreative warship... and at a larger scale!
- Sidelined a good portion of the first game's cast. Wrex and Liara would barely stand up from their chairs, and Ashley/Kaiden got one conversation that you could not win.
- Stupidly killed Shepard at the very beginning in a very misguided and anticlimactic attempt to start with a bang which failed because it just revived him not ten minutes later.
- Promoted a wacky fringe anti-alien group to a galatic power capable of defying any government it wanted to.
-And worst of all, it told a story that ultimately did not matter! All that work and the Reapers invaded within a few months anyway without even a hint of consequence being given to the Collector's failure!

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 14:55 (3448 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Mass Effect 2 made changes that worked. Not only that, but it was meticulously planned and programmed. The Suicide Mission was a stroke of genius.

It's one thing if you didn't like the game, but you can't say that it was rushed. Mass Effect 3 was.

As for the story, it has its flaws, but I thought it was much more satisfying than the third game for the simple reason that it ended well. I know that bitching about the ME3 ending is like beating a dead horse at this point, but it's important to understand that it was bad enough to re-shape the way legions of players feel about the Mass Effect universe. A bad ending does not make a bad game, but it does ruin the integrity of the universe for a lot of people, myself included.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 14:55 (3448 days ago) @ Ragashingo

-And worst of all, it told a story that ultimately did not matter! All that work and the Reapers invaded within a few months anyway without even a hint of consequence being given to the Collector's failure!

This was the reason I didn't expect our choices to matter much for the end of the third game. Your choices barely had any real consequences within the games themselves, why would they matter over 3 games? I think I am probably just spoiled by my favorite RPG of all time: Chrono Trigger which had COMPLETELY different endings based on when and how you beat the story.

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 14:56 (3448 days ago) @ Xenos

I wish I liked JRPGs. I've heard nothing but good things about Chrono Trigger.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 14:59 (3448 days ago) @ car15

I wish I liked JRPGs. I've heard nothing but good things about Chrono Trigger.

Not that I'll expect someone to like Chrono Trigger if they don't like JRPGs, but I will say that Chrono Trigger is WAY different than any other JRPG. In fact when they did make a sequel I was really annoyed because they'd turned it into a more traditional JRPG. Chrono Trigger is actually relatively short (meaning not drawn out), has a plot that makes 100% sense, and has characters with believable motivations. But it does still have more classic JRPG mechanics with battle and equipment.

by HavokBlue, California, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 15:27 (3448 days ago) @ Xenos

People expected your choices to matter because they stated plainly multiple times throughout development that they would matter.

I'll post the quote from one of the devs before release where he literally said something along the lines of "Your choices will matter. We wouldn't just have our dedicated fans choose between three scripted endings." if I can find it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 15:35 (3448 days ago) @ HavokBlue

People expected your choices to matter because they stated plainly multiple times throughout development that they would matter.

I'll post the quote from one of the devs before release where he literally said something along the lines of "Your choices will matter. We wouldn't just have our dedicated fans choose between three scripted endings." if I can find it.

Yeah, I totally understand (and recall them saying that) but I was more referencing that I didn't expect it, regardless of what they promised.

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 15:36 (3448 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/28/casey-hudson-interview-mass-effect-3.aspx

For people who are invested in these characters and the back-story of
the universe and everything, all of these things come to a resolution
in Mass Effect 3. And they are resolved in a way that's very different
based on what you would do in those situations.

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?Post...

At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve
made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in
any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many
endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.
The endings
have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.

The $34.99 question.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 27, 2014, 08:42 (3447 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm excited for the expansion pass, mostly just for the new Raid and new gear. I've put enough time into the Vault of Glass to know that another raid is worth the price of admission alone (for me).

As far as the rest of the game is concerned:

Up until now, I've been playing with only 1 character. I started a 2nd one shortly after launch, but never progressed her. Over the past week, I finally decided to rank her up a bit so I could double-dip the weekly missions.

After so much time focused on the end game, replaying the campaign from scratch has really made me aware of just how weak it is. Now that I'm used to Destiny's high-level combat, playing as a level 11 Hunter is painfully dull. I really want to end up with a high-level character from each class, but the idea of needing to replay the campaign from scratch a 3rd time is making me think I might never get around to it.

So with that being said, I'm not particularly excited about the story missions in the upcoming expansion. I'm curious to see what Bungie does differently with them, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread