OMG This is what destiny should have been. Watch!++ (Destiny)

by scarab @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 05:13 (3444 days ago)

http://vimeo.com/108650530

I so wanted this stuff in the game.

I want the golden age

by scarab @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 05:44 (3444 days ago) @ scarab

Is Destiny a hopeful game or is it a rehash of Halo's last stand for humanity?

Did Bungie ever have a clear vision of their game? What it was all about? We get such mixed messages. Did the implementation of the game mechanics undermine their aspirations or did they never have a clear vision that they wanted to implement?

I want the world that we saw in that video. Will we ever move on from scavenging skin flakes to power our space ships?

I want the golden age

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 09:00 (3444 days ago) @ scarab

Is Destiny a hopeful game or is it a rehash of Halo's last stand for humanity?

Did Bungie ever have a clear vision of their game? What it was all about? We get such mixed messages. Did the implementation of the game mechanics undermine their aspirations or did they never have a clear vision that they wanted to implement?

I want the world that we saw in that video. Will we ever move on from scavenging skin flakes to power our space ships?

You would need a fundamental shift in game design. Destiny is not about exploration. This film was.

Yes that is what I want.

by scarab @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 09:16 (3444 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At one stage we were promised this or did I just imagine that? And we were told that a design principle was that the Destiny world would be a hopeful one.

10 year plan...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 11:24 (3444 days ago) @ scarab

At one stage we were promised this or did I just imagine that? And we were told that a design principle was that the Destiny world would be a hopeful one.

By the time they settled on this 'Mythic Scifi' thing, Destiny 1 was always going to a slightly muted affair confined to our own solar system.

Other solar systems is the logical place to expand to in sequels.

My bet is on Destiny 3, in 2018.

Joseph said that. Look where it got him.

by rhubarb, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 11:24 (3444 days ago) @ scarab

It's from this GDC presentation

OMG This is what destiny should have been. Watch!++

by telemachus, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 09:03 (3444 days ago) @ scarab

Incredible, thanks for sharing. Between Sagan's narration, and the incredible visuals it was an incredibly powerful message.

"We are destined to walk in the light of other Stars." I can't tell you how many times I keep thinking about this quote from the Speaker. It's a very simple line, but the meaning and conviction behind it is huge. Every time I think about humanity's long term future this line pops up in my head.

OMG This is what destiny should have been. Watch!++

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 09:07 (3444 days ago) @ telemachus

Incredible, thanks for sharing. Between Sagan's narration, and the incredible visuals it was an incredibly powerful message.

This type of stuff makes me very emotional. In part because it's all I thought about growing up: exploring space and the solar system. A place of unimaginable beauty.

But now I realize it will never ever happen. The laws of physics are a bitch. Space is beautiful and peaceful precisely because nothing can exist there.

We will die on Earth, and all our accomplishments and history and discoveries will fade away and the universe won't even notice. We will never meet extraterrestrial life since the distances between us are insurmountable.

The fact that it can't happen almost makes thinking about it sweeter.

Ouch

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, November 30, 2014, 12:21 (3444 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Logic makes for a terrible imagination.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 15:48 (3443 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

This is where an engineer says "Challenge accepted."

by Quirel, Monday, December 01, 2014, 11:39 (3443 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This type of stuff makes me very emotional. In part because it's all I thought about growing up: exploring space and the solar system. A place of unimaginable beauty.

But now I realize it will never ever happen. The laws of physics are a bitch. Space is beautiful and peaceful precisely because nothing can exist there.

We will die on Earth, and all our accomplishments and history and discoveries will fade away and the universe won't even notice. We will never meet extraterrestrial life since the distances between us are insurmountable.

The fact that it can't happen almost makes thinking about it sweeter.

I'm confident we'll make it. True, it won't be Homo Sapiens that conquers the solar system, it'll be whatever comes after. If the human body is poorly suited for space exploration, we'll just have to design a better one. One that doesn't bloat up and atrophy in zero-G. One that doesn't start failing after 60 years of use. I'm not sure if this is going to be accomplished via prosthesis or brain uploading or some other scientific wonder, but it's going to happen.

The future is going to be great.

This is where an engineer says "Challenge accepted."

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, December 01, 2014, 11:48 (3443 days ago) @ Quirel

One that doesn't bloat up and atrophy in zero-G.

Yeah, I was having an interesting conversation about this with a friend who likes Sci-Fi but has only really played sci-fi games and watched sci-fi movies. I made him read a couple sci-fi books and he brought up the question "I understand why games and movies have artificial gravity all the time, since it must be much easier to deal with, but why books? They can do whatever they want, why have artificial gravity in almost every single book." We talked about it for awhile and I was mostly making the arguments that coming up with artificial gravity wouldn't just be for comfort, it would be to make travel outside of our solar system (and even somewhat inside our solar system) MUCH more feasible. You can read the stories of astronauts where they literally couldn't walk and were sick for long periods of time after being in space because their bodies have to readjust to being on Earth. Imagine what that would be like after a 13+ year journey to a hopefully habitable planet.

The Higgs Boson brings good tidings

by Kahzgul, Monday, December 01, 2014, 22:36 (3442 days ago) @ Xenos

The discovery of the particle responsible for mass means the eventual ability of humans to manipulate the mass of objects, which could result in artificial gravity, inertialess travel with instantaneous acceleration, and the ability to create objects so artificially light as to repel gravity, thus launching themselves into orbit without a need for thrust or fuel, or by harnessing the energy field created by the Higgs Boson particles to fuel themselves, which could provide a stable, universally available, and reliable fuel source.

If artificial gravity isn't enough for you, Quantum Entanglement has been a thing for years now, and already allows the instantaneous and faster than light transmission of data. This may eventually be expandable to objects with greater mass than a qubit (or Quantum Bit), but even the transmission of data across space would solve many of the fundamental problems of relativistic communicaitons. If you've ever read Ender's Game, you'll be pleased to know that, in essence, the Ansible is a real thing that actually exists right now, though it is too expensive to operate (and too experimental) to be a practical replacement for telephones just yet.

Of course, these experimental features of quantum mechanics may not bear any sort of fruit in our lifetimes, though with the current rate of technological advancement, my money is on us seeing at least a few steps down the path of scientific advancement.

Always remember: The future is coming, all the damn time.

The Higgs Boson brings good tidings

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 01, 2014, 23:41 (3442 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Of course, these experimental features of quantum mechanics may not bear any sort of fruit in our lifetimes, though with the current rate of technological advancement, my money is on us seeing at least a few steps down the path of scientific advancement.

Always remember: The future is coming, all the damn time.

I think you need a better study of the higgs. It doesn't permit any of that stuff.

An electron interacts with a photon giving rise to the electromagnetic force. We can create electromagnetic fields, but we can't change how the electron interacts with them. It's always a negative charge, and behaves the same way.

And similarly, you can't change the mass of shit by creating or somehow manipulating higgs fields. The only way to alter mass is to accelerate an object, or by cutting it in half.

The Golden Age was a lie.

by c0ld vengeance @, UK, Monday, December 01, 2014, 08:05 (3443 days ago) @ scarab

Otherwise there would be futuristic vehicles lying around rusting instead of 20th/21st Century cars, trucks and tanks.

The Speaker lies.

The Golden Age was a lie.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, December 01, 2014, 08:57 (3443 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

Not necessarily. I've been thinking a lot about this recently. I think perhaps the Golden Age wasn't Star Trek but merely a rapid push forward in existing technologies with a few standout achievements like the NLS Drive, AI Research, and medical breakthroughs. None of which really apply to things like car design or building design. And if they did, we were still living in a world where things cost money instead of an implausible Star Trek like utopia. It'd be impractical to tear down buildings or replace every car on the road.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 01, 2014, 14:32 (3443 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I find it very hard to believe that a sudden leap in technology would suddenly completely change our aesthetics. I think we'd still have most of our stuff look exactly the same, just behave or be powered differently.

Now, if we did manage to find NLS-compatible power-sources, I don't think air-breathing planes would still exist... Not after 3 lifespans since the leap...

This

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, December 01, 2014, 14:47 (3443 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, they'd all probably be relegated to some Mothyards. ;)

Point.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 01, 2014, 15:13 (3443 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread