Public Event Packages are no more.. Bug or Intentional? (Destiny)

by c0ld vengeance @, UK, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 05:18 (3440 days ago)
edited by c0ld vengeance, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 05:21

Lots of chatter today regarding the Public Event Rewards and that you no longer get a package in the post from your first gold completion.

Apparently you also no longer get 5000xp and your first public event gives you a Mote of Light direct into inventory.

If this is a bug, fair enough and I wont look too much into it, but if its intentional I'm surprised it was left off the patch notes.

Perhaps its gone because of the following reasons:

1. Bungie don't want people building up the packages in the post for a giant XP hit while using an telemetry and ranking up items super quick in one go.

2. The Motes of light are given to you so you can collect more of them during the week to buy an exotic engram from Xur which can now be broken down for the new Exotic Shard if not required.

Again, this is all speculation perhaps irreverent if it turns out to be a bug. It just strikes me as very odd that so much change has occurred for it to be accidental.

Waiting on a response.

this is disappointing

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 07:44 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

i never really thought about banking the packages. I can see the reasoning though. You could bank a lot of packages, and 10 bounties to use with a telemetry. I don't understand why they would do this though without mentioning it in the patch notes.

this is disappointing

by c0ld vengeance @, UK, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 08:19 (3440 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Perhaps because they tried to bury bad news? Either that or its a bug (which im starting to doubt now).

Shhhhhh go hide this shovel.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 08:20 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

- No text -

Public Event Packages are no more.. Bug or Intentional?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 09:48 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

If it was removed intentionally, I'd just like to read why.

I'm the kind of player where I'll hoard items like that. For example, I'm sitting on several aiomatic beads, house banners, etc that I just keep accumulating. I'll turn them in eventually, but I like making it rain, so to speak.

I'll do the same thing with engrams too, I'll fill out my inventory, then let they fill up at the post master and cash them all at once.

I like to get on once a day, and speed through the daily heroic mission to get the ascendant mats I need, and complete 1-2 public events for the same reason. That's the only way I can make the most bang for my buck, is about an hour a day during the week.

I find a way I like to play, and then it changes....again.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:07 (3440 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I'm the kind of player where I'll hoard items like that. For example, I'm sitting on several aiomatic beads, house banners, etc that I just keep accumulating. I'll turn them in eventually, but I like making it rain, so to speak.

I'll do the same thing with engrams too, I'll fill out my inventory, then let they fill up at the post master and cash them all at once.

I like to get on once a day, and speed through the daily heroic mission to get the ascendant mats I need, and complete 1-2 public events for the same reason. That's the only way I can make the most bang for my buck, is about an hour a day during the week.

Yeah, some days I have time for one relatively predictable public event. That was my minimum, except for those days when I simply don't have time to play.

by petetheduck, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:08 (3440 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, some days I have time for one relatively predictable public event. That was my minimum, except for those days when I simply don't have time to play.

The best part of the 10 bounty slots is grabbing bounties for later. I only really need to play in depth every 3rd day.

Ok, Getting This Straight

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:15 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

Ok, so now...there's like...absolutely no reason to do these public events now?

Well, assuming fun isn't a motivation for you

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:16 (3440 days ago) @ Morpheus

And you don't have the "complete 3" bounty. Then yes, there's no point.

by c0ld vengeance @, UK, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:28 (3440 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Assuming you have two characters and you do a public twice a day, You can collect up to 14 MoL a week plus any from XP for buying an Exotic Engram from Xur for either an Exotic or Exotic Shards.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:30 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

Assuming you have two characters and you do a public twice a day, You can collect up to 14 MoL a week plus any from XP for buying an Exotic Engram from Xur for either an Exotic or Exotic Shards.

They don't award the package for doing the Public Event Daily anymore. This led to a discussion of reasons you would bother doing public events.

They do reward ascendant shards/energy pretty frequently these days though. I just like doing them because fun.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:33 (3440 days ago) @ iconicbanana

And you don't have the "complete 3" bounty. Then yes, there's no point.

It's fun when there's people around. 9 out of 10 public events I find myself in have no one, making Assassinations and Conflux Protections very difficult--in some cases, impossible. When I'm by myself, the stuff gets harder, BUT I'm primed to be the only one to get a reward--reward meaning a shard or energy, plus some more waiting for me at the Tower for completing one per day.

ALL my guns require a good 32 Ascendant Energy, and I can't just join raids every 5 seconds--they're long, they're insanely difficult, and they require too many. Public events are our lean version, our quickie to earning just a little bit more. I still have no idea what the hell ANY of the raid stuff means, so that makes it impossible for me to be an effective player. Public events--there's Fallen over there,

kill.

they.

ass.

Simple as that.

I find public events fun. But since most of mine are private, I find the reward for acing them more fun. Without it, I'm just standing in a circle or next to a pillar, getting my ass kicked Lone Wolf style and getting nothing for it.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:36 (3440 days ago) @ Morpheus

I find public events fun. But since most of mine are private, I find the reward for acing them more fun. Without it, I'm just standing in a circle or next to a pillar, getting my ass kicked Lone Wolf style and getting nothing for it.

Sounds fair to me. I like running into them alone in general because they're not very challenging with other people. That conflux defense one is especially hairy. Does suck when all you get is event participant, for sure.

See, I'm the opposite: They aren't hard ENOUGH

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 11:59 (3440 days ago) @ Morpheus

Usually, because there are more players around.

On the one hand, it's nice to see a group of randos flock to the event and work together.

On the other hand, it's boring as all hell to have a group of lvl 28+ randos flock to an event and steam roll it to the point you can't really even tell there was an event.

Seriously, they aren't fun for high level players.

Fallen walker drops- everyone pulls out their Ice Breakers, walker is dead in 30 seconds.

I just did a quick run though with a Hunter character, and I encountered a few events on my way to lvl 20 and they were HARD, and SATISFYING to beat solo.

I'm sure it's a simple matter of adjusting difficulty here or there or something.

See, I'm the opposite: They aren't hard ENOUGH

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:01 (3440 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Agreed. Especially the Fallen Walkers. They're dead in seconds now. I think Bubgie needs to drop off two or three of them at a time!

Hang out around the hellmouth

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:05 (3440 days ago) @ Ragashingo

there are public events where Fallen and Hive dropships attack simultaneously. At some stage you will die, even with other guardians, but if you keep running back into the fray you should get gold tier.

"The enemy is moving against each other"

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:17 (3440 days ago) @ scarab

Those are the ones I miss!

While everyone else was at the loot cave plinking away, I was waiting for the the Hive and Fallen to fight and me to be in the middle!

If you kept killing them, the game would respawn them with progressively more difficulty to the point where you would fail eventually, like firefight.

Then they took it away :(

Relevant

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:25 (3440 days ago) @ Revenant1988

"The enemy is moving against each other"

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 13:08 (3440 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I was:

• plinking away
  • doing bounties
  • doing missions
  • chatting with mates
  • picking up engrams
  • getting high grimore scores
  • waiting for war sats
  • waiting for enemies to move against each other
  • and collecting spin metal :-)

Fun times

That's What He Said.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 15:06 (3440 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:26 (3440 days ago) @ scarab

Yeah. There's a Warsat one that is fairly hard. Ends up with a ton of Wizards and Fallen assaulting you at the end! I like that one. :)

That's one Public Event that does get harder

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:29 (3440 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah. There's a Warsat one that is fairly hard. Ends up with a ton of Wizards and Fallen assaulting you at the end! I like that one. :)

If you nuke down the first couple groups on a warsat with rockets you can get through a much larger number of waves than a low level will; this can result in super badass enemies by the end of the event that can challenge a larger or stronger group of players.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:32 (3440 days ago) @ iconicbanana

The faster you wipe WarSat enemies, the faster you get really cool waves. In fact, when I'm alone and don't want to risk it, I keep a single cannon fodder from the first alive and no one else spawns.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:45 (3440 days ago) @ ZackDark

I've cheesed the warsat like this also when I wanted to ensure I got my one gold tier in a day with a lower level character. The one or two remaining enemies will retreat after 15-20 seconds so you get 3-4 waves anyway, but they're much easier for the lower-level characters to handle.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 10:49 (3439 days ago) @ dogcow

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to stay standing on the warsat. Instead we should kill the waves quickly while _not_ standing on it to make things difficult?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 10:51 (3439 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to stay standing on the warsat. Instead we should kill the waves quickly while _not_ standing on it to make things difficult?

As long as you can figure out the minimum time needed to upload it, this could make it quite interesting. i.e. Wait 2 minutes, then upload?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:36 (3440 days ago) @ scarab

A few nights ago I finally got to play with a friend IRL who has just started a character in Destiny. She was a level 8, and I was a 27. We got an event near the Hellmouth and it was hellish fun! I died a few times, and the last time I rushed back after reviving, unleashed my nova bomb with about 10 seconds left, and since I had just upgraded the shatter modifier, the three projectiles took out the three remaining enemies. It was one of those perfect video game moments, and I'm glad my friend witnessed it because she doesn't play with other people that much, and I think that's where Destiny shines.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 14:24 (3440 days ago) @ c0ld vengeance

1. Bungie don't want people building up the packages in the post for a giant XP hit while using an telemetry and ranking up items super quick in one go.

Unfortunately this is probably the reason given the DLC is coming. You could have saved up public event packages and cashed them in later, potentially leveling DLC stuff quickly. I wish I was smart enough to have thought of that a week ago :-/

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread