Memories (Destiny)

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:13 (3440 days ago)

Guardians are the resurrected heros of a lost Golden Age. Most of them appear to be anywhere from their late 20's to early 40's as we know age (ie; disregarding the tripled-lifespan). When first restored to life, our Ghost tells us that we have many questions that he cannot answer at the moment. It has already been discussed that those questions have as yet remained unanswered. Presumably there is a lot of history between our original deaths and our original resurrections.

But what about before?

These are adult Awoken/Human/Exos, presumably from many and varied backgrounds and life experiences. I know I'd be more than a little excited to see some of our past lives coming to the fore. Whether in memory segments, or other guardians we knew before death, or even if it's just some more text info. One of the real issues I would anticipate for such an endeavor would be uniqueness among us as player/characters (an issue that is one of my personal letdowns regarding the Exotics). It wouldn't be that great if we all had the same back-story. We're not all MC anymore.

Anyway, I was thinking about what sort of life my Awoken Male Voidwalker led and it got me wondering if anybody else would be interested in this sort of history?

Memories

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:18 (3440 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Anyway, I was thinking about what sort of life my Awoken Male Voidwalker led and it got me wondering if anybody else would be interested in this sort of history?

I'm still skeptical that we inhabit our original bodies. I wonder if our ghost doesn't jam our consciousness into the corpse of some other long dead person. It's also made me wonder if we don't see the city because the people down there won't let us in and think we're zombies.

Memories

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 12:26 (3440 days ago) @ iconicbanana

While I think some City citizens fear or maybe even resent Guardians for essentially being undead, I don't think they're barred from the city. There's a crucible card talking about Tex Mechanica trying to bribe Shaxx to rig crucible matches so their weapons sell better.

Shaxx's response is to threaten to deploy a squad of titans through the roof of their building.

Memories

by yakaman, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 15:03 (3440 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I'm still skeptical that we inhabit our original bodies. I wonder if our ghost doesn't jam our consciousness into the corpse of some other long dead person. It's also made me wonder if we don't see the city because the people down there won't let us in and think we're zombies.

I like to believe we are a synthetic entity, a facsimile of what a person (consciousness) might have been. What is the difference between the Light (i.e. ghost) creating us from inanimate material and what happens in the Black Gate?

Also, really, where would our consciousness (data) come from? Our bones? Our..."aura" or some equally nonsensical metaphysics? We're a simulated consciousness.

(Somewhat unrelated) Why are the statues that are created by the Darkness in the Black Gate called Sol's Progeny? Really...the sun's offspring? Does that make any sense?

Memories

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 15:17 (3440 days ago) @ yakaman

There's the slightest chance that stars are important in Destiny. I'll pull up some details tonight. :)

Memories

by yakaman, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 11:33 (3439 days ago) @ Ragashingo

There's the slightest chance that stars are important in Destiny. I'll pull up some details tonight. :)

Like, up in the sky Stars? I'm intrigued...

Oh yeah. Forgot to post. Will do so in a bit! :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 11:37 (3439 days ago) @ yakaman

- No text -

Suns

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 19:02 (3439 days ago) @ yakaman

Here we go!

Dreams of Alpha Lupi

The blaze sits inside a nest of little worlds, still too distant to share its heat but plainly staring out at you. A face emerges, drawn from plasmas and radiation...

There must be meanings in its roar.

You listen hard and carefully, and sometimes a lucid melody seems to rise out of random noise. Joy builds, and the first hope in ages transforms you.

It seems important, even critical, to tell every star from here to the black between the galaxies that you will be strong again.

The Dreams of Alpha Lupi series of cards are heavily centered upon The Traveler. This first card comes from the Signal Received desktop that was rewarded at the end of the Alpha Lupi mini-ARG and the geomantic symbol beside it was for the sun.

Beyond.

It is a place, a place casting shadows and emotion.

It's a real place, I know.

One hot blue sun, say. And other suns too. Five? I like seven better. What I'm recalling is a giant star with a family of six smaller suns, and you could spend days and nights counting all of the planets circling those suns...except there are no planets. Not anymore. The powers in charge have carved up all of the worlds, and maybe a brown dwarf or two for good measure. With that rubble, they fashioned a topologically creative enclosure, a twisting of space and time sealed behind doors that admit only those who know the magic words. The bones of a hundred planets have been cut smooth and laid out like a floor, a polished and lovely floor creating vast living spaces. A floor bigger than ten thousand worlds, catching the fierce glory of the seven suns. For light, for food. For beauty. And nothing escapes. Not heat, not gravity. Not even the faintest proud sound.

It could be anywhere. It can live in the cold between galaxies, or folded up inside matter, near enough to touch right now...

I remember it and maybe it's exactly as I describe it. Seven suns wrapped inside magic. Or it's something else entirely, perhaps. A place still fat with life. An abundance of sentient souls, some decent, maybe a few of lesser quality, and everybody stands about or floats about, or they bounce between dimensions. The point is that the residents of this hidden realm live inside a bottle so perfectly hidden that they can't see beyond their own borders. Which shapes a mind in very specific ways.

But, Beyond is their name for a mysterious, doubtful realm that they can't see.

Which is us, of course.

Suns, mysterious dimensions, the number 7? Next you'll be telling me that there's a power hungry AI taking over planetary networks... Oh hi Rasputin! What are you doing here!

Ghost Fragment: Darkness 2

The universe is a beast.

The body is made from tiny stuff, from near-nothings. From atoms swimming through a blood of crackling sparks. Simple, eternal Laws shape the beast. The largest galaxy is ruled by principles of mass and motion. Electrons are slaves to charge and to chance. And this is why the universe feels inexhaustible, eternal.

No sun complains about its death. Life is the problem. Life can be woven from flesh or circuit or thoughtful light. Origins don't matter. But small, half-smart creatures have a fierce talent for denying the inevitable, for balking and complaining about injustices that don't exist and consequences that should be borne in silence.

Life, like suns, are seen by The Darkness as a short lived anomaly that should stop complaining about its end?

Granted, even all put together it's not much, but wouldn't it be cool if it was! :)

Grimoire Card: Guardian: Races: Ghost Fragment: Exo 2

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 13:25 (3440 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Hi. Thanks for your interest. I'm recording this for posterity.

Warlock thanatonauts die and come back with insight. I'm going to attempt the same process to get at buried memories. Specifically, I'm going to fire a charged particle beam into my head and see what comes out. We Exos have been around a very long time. I want to know what's in there.

My Ghost is standing by to repair me.

Okay. Three two one

STAG echo six SWORD sierra nine SERPENT

We are falling into the world. Everyone is on fire. There's a ship above us but it's coming apart just like a flower, alloy and fusion flash, pierced through and through -

The voice says Atmospheric interface. Trajectory nominal. Rabid two three you are outside the window. (I think I am the voice)

I can see the whole earth below me and the sky we are falling out of is black without stars.

Ghost, shoot me again.

RAPID four RAMPART four RATCHET tango eight zero

We are on the ice. This is elsewhere and elsewhen. There is a mighty aurora and it is reflected in the ice so I walk between two fires although the one below is cracked and full of corpses. I have and am a weapon.

Up in the sky there is a hole in Jupiter and it tears at me when I look at it. It tears at me. It is hungry. Maybe the hole is not in Jupiter but in me.

CROWN castle candor cobalt coral

Ghost bring me back.

serrate sulfur ANATHEMA amber actual aspen

Ghost bring me back now.

High praise to Battuta's team

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 13:54 (3440 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

The cards are great

High praise to Battuta's team

by General Battuta, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 20:59 (3440 days ago) @ ZackDark

:)

With that one I think it's key to note that this memory issue is (to my understanding) endemic even among non-Guardian Exos. It's an Exo thing, not a Guardian thing.

this card

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 15:33 (3440 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Weird, I picked up this Ghost maybe 10 minutes before I saw this post. Somehow went all this time without noticing it sitting there.

Memories

by Durandal, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 14:02 (3440 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Dr. Shim, is that you?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread