Black Flag & Unity... Free? (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 14:55 (3438 days ago)

Anyone know about any promotions (Games For Gold, XboxLive Rewards, etc) on the XB1 with these games?

The other day they both just started installing themselves on my HD. This also happened with Titanfall when I first got my Xbox, but I discovered that was because the box came with a digital-download that I didn't know about (got it used; previous owner apparently never redeemed the code). But these games have been out for a while now (well, Black Flag at least), so I don't think it's a hidden download code this time.

I checked my purchase history on Xbox and my bank; I don't seem to be missing any money, but I definitely have both AC Black Flag and Unity downloaded on my XB1.

Any ideas?

Black Flag & Unity... Free?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 15:01 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

Anyone know about any promotions (Games For Gold, XboxLive Rewards, etc) on the XB1 with these games?

The other day they both just started installing themselves on my HD. This also happened with Titanfall when I first got my Xbox, but I discovered that was because the box came with a digital-download that I didn't know about (got it used; previous owner apparently never redeemed the code). But these games have been out for a while now (well, Black Flag at least), so I don't think it's a hidden download code this time.

I checked my purchase history on Xbox and my bank; I don't seem to be missing any money, but I definitely have both AC Black Flag and Unity downloaded on my XB1.

Any ideas?

Very strange…

Those two games were part of a bundle deal over Thanksgiving weekend. My sister and brother-in-law bought their Xboxes through that bundle and the boxes came with digital download codes for those AC games.

Have you somehow set someone else's Xbox One as your "Home Xbox," by any chance? Does someone have access to your account and possibly redeemed one of those codes under your gamertag?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 15:18 (3438 days ago) @ Beorn

Any ideas?

Very strange…

Those two games were part of a bundle deal over Thanksgiving weekend. My sister and brother-in-law bought their Xboxes through that bundle and the boxes came with digital download codes for those AC games.

Have you somehow set someone else's Xbox One as your "Home Xbox," by any chance? Does someone have access to your account and possibly redeemed one of those codes under your gamertag?

I haven't done either of those things, to my knowledge.

Interesting that they were part of a recent promotion though.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 15:47 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

Any ideas?

Is your profile on more then one xbox?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 16:38 (3438 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Any ideas?

Well technically, yes; my profile is also on my 360. But I haven't even plugged my 360 in since March. What does having my account on another box affect?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 17:04 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

Any ideas?

Well technically, yes; my profile is also on my 360. But I haven't even plugged my 360 in since March. What does having my account on another box affect?

Don't know if it does, simply scratch'n my head speculating here. If you didn't actively purchase these games, then where did the command to download happen? My guess would be something to do with your account, and possibly on another Xbox with your account on it or online. Some sort of mix up. (Is it possible to gift games? If someone had to type in a gamertag and put a wrong one in then...well...you could get this.)

Weird.

from the sounds of it...

by Laird, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 19:11 (3438 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The XB1 you bought still has the previous owners account on the box, or... they have it set as their "home" console which means all their games will autodownload to your box they buy digitally. You can also play them, alot of people who trust their friends/family do this in a Pseudo-"game sharing" plan.

A friend's kid does this with his buddy all the time, one buy's COD, the other buy's halo digitally and both get copies as they download automatically to the "home" console.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/08/30/how-to-share-xbox-one-games-with-friends/

This happens all the time with used Xbox Ones - explanation

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 19:13 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

The Home console setting is enabled by default for the first person who signs in to a new Xbox One. Since yours is used, and you've never gone in to change that setting, it is still the home Xbox of the previous owner. With digital download games, they become available on two systems when purchased - the one where the owner is currently signed in, and any account signed in to the owner's Home console. Whoever you bought your Xbox One from bought a black friday bundle and just redeemed the included games. If you never tell them, you'll get every game they buy digitally for free.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 21:03 (3438 days ago) @ GrizzNKev
edited by Mid7night, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 21:10

The Home console setting is enabled by default for the first person who signs in to a new Xbox One. Since yours is used, and you've never gone in to change that setting, it is still the home Xbox of the previous owner. With digital download games, they become available on two systems when purchased - the one where the owner is currently signed in, and any account signed in to the owner's Home console. Whoever you bought your Xbox One from bought a black friday bundle and just redeemed the included games. If you never tell them, you'll get every game they buy digitally for free.

This seems to be the most plausible explanation.

But it's still puzzling...
Would this still happen if the person I bought it from did a system-wipe/restore before selling it to me? He said he did, though I really didn't know how to check, it seemed "fresh" to me. When I booted it up at home it walked me through the whole setup routine and everything. I even registered it on my Xbox account.

Also, it would be exceedingly weird (to me) if I'm getting his digital purchases, because the reason he told me he was selling is because he didn't have time to play. I don't think I have the the guy's contact info saved anywhere anyway. Maybe he changed his mind. :)

Re: "Home console setting"....didn't even know that was a "thing"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 21:32 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

Would this still happen if the person I bought it from did a system-wipe/restore before selling it to me? He said he did, though I really didn't know how to check, it seemed "fresh" to me. When I booted it up at home it walked me through the whole setup routine and everything. I even registered it on my Xbox account.

Also, it would be exceedingly weird (to me) if I'm getting his digital purchases, because the reason he told me he was selling is because he didn't have time to play. I don't think I have the the guy's contact info saved anywhere anyway. Maybe he changed his mind. :)

You could wipe it a hundred times and it's still registered under his account as the "Home" console (licensing games via console serial number, or something). We had a big annoyance when we tried to put some of my games onto an XBone, since stuff like Killer Instict was downloaded onto a different console. Even setting the new one as the Home did nothing to anyone else who wanted to play my games. It's stupidly frustrating, but I'm glad that buying Xbone games isn't exactly something I'll ever need to do...

I'd tell the guy to contact customer service, because if his kids or whatever ever try to play the games he buys, they won't be able to, because your console is his "Main"... So on the one hand you'll get free games, but on the other, you'll be a pretty big douche...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 22:04 (3438 days ago) @ Korny

You could wipe it a hundred times and it's still registered under his account as the "Home" console (licensing games via console serial number, or something). We had a big annoyance when we tried to put some of my games onto an XBone, since stuff like Killer Instict was downloaded onto a different console. Even setting the new one as the Home did nothing to anyone else who wanted to play my games. It's stupidly frustrating, but I'm glad that buying Xbone games isn't exactly something I'll ever need to do...

I'd tell the guy to contact customer service, because if his kids or whatever ever try to play the games he buys, they won't be able to, because your console is his "Main"... So on the one hand you'll get free games, but on the other, you'll be a pretty big douche...

Wait; he can't play the games he downloads to the Xbox he just bought? (Assuming that is the case here)

by GrizzNKev, Down the street from Microsoft, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 22:32 (3438 days ago) @ Mid7night

He can, but only on his gamertag. The way it works is that any account can play the console owner's games on that console, assuming the owner has it set as their home console. The console owner can also sign in on any other console to play their own games, or that console owner's games.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 23:26 (3438 days ago) @ GrizzNKev

He can, but only on his gamertag. The way it works is that any account can play the console owner's games on that console, assuming the owner has it set as their home console. The console owner can also sign in on any other console to play their own games, or that console owner's games.

Ok, I think I understand. And I can't "fix" it from my end? I don't want to mess up his download content, but I definitely don't have the guy's contact info anymore, I checked. I remember that he didn't have any kids though, so that's something, I guess.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, December 08, 2014, 07:25 (3437 days ago) @ Mid7night

any gamertag can play content on the "home" console. on other consoles, you have to be signed in to LIVE play the content.

Worked great for Halo LANs. If you had two 360s, you could have DLC on the "home" box, then let a guest play on it, while you logged yourself in on the second box.

The problem for the previous owner is that he will have to be on LIVE to use his own content. If his internet is down, he won't be able to play campaign offline, b/c he won't be able to connect to the license server. (at least that's how it was on the 360). Even if you fix things on your end, he may never know to switch his box to home, so he will probably run into a DRM problem eventually. you should still fix it on your end, if you can.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Monday, December 08, 2014, 08:06 (3437 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

any gamertag can play content on the "home" console. on other consoles, you have to be signed in to LIVE play the content.

Worked great for Halo LANs. If you had two 360s, you could have DLC on the "home" box, then let a guest play on it, while you logged yourself in on the second box.

The problem for the previous owner is that he will have to be on LIVE to use his own content. If his internet is down, he won't be able to play campaign offline, b/c he won't be able to connect to the license server. (at least that's how it was on the 360). Even if you fix things on your end, he may never know to switch his box to home, so he will probably run into a DRM problem eventually. you should still fix it on your end, if you can.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

Got it. Well, I'll do what I can on my end.

Thanks, everyone, for enlightening me on this. This seems excessively complicated (and buggy) for something as common as buying used consoles.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, December 08, 2014, 09:46 (3437 days ago) @ Mid7night

Thanks, everyone, for enlightening me on this. This seems excessively complicated (and buggy) for something as common as buying used consoles.

It's not really, it's just how DRM in this era works, is all.

It will take time for the average person to get their minds around how their digital foot print works, but we've been on the path to this kind of stuff for years.

Ah, for the simpler days of physical media!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread