Bungie needs to go more RPG (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 18:50 (3439 days ago)
edited by RC, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 18:56

In the Dark Below:

• There are such a thing as quests,
  • Eris actually has spoken lines relevant to the quest you are accepting or updating her about
  • Quests feature missions with unique encounters
  • You receive named, specific loot for completing a quest (the Gauntlet piece)

This is definitely the direction Destiny should be taken in. It works. It's interesting. All the tower characters should be remodelled after Eris. Well, except the part where I have to grind Rep for days to upgrade my Husk of The Pit...

EDIT: Imagine that instead of having to grind out rep, then marks to buy from the Factions, they simply offer you quests. 'Do this for us, get this.' Rather than feeling like you'll never get the perfect armour set-up because the perks from the set gear are wrong, quests could rotate in and out like Bounties with different rewards each time.

Yes.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, December 20, 2014, 19:22 (3439 days ago) @ RC

Please.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, December 20, 2014, 20:13 (3439 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

- No text -

Co-op Skyrim

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 22:09 (3439 days ago) @ RC

This is what I imagined Destiny would be from the way they were describing it pre-release.

I guess I can still dream for Destiny 2...

Bungie should hire this guy.

by The Woaf, Portsmouth, UK, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 00:38 (3439 days ago) @ RC

I've been saying so for ages.

Are you saying two things?

by scarab @, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 01:23 (3438 days ago) @ RC

• want quests
  • no RNG for quests (quests are for specific items with specific tech tree perks)

is that right?

When I said tech tree perk, I meant something like FireFly or Final Round.

What is the term for the things that fill the circular things in tech trees? I call them perks.

What is the term for the circular things in tech trees? I call them slots.

RNG lets bungie control progress. I don't think that they would give that up.

Not necesssarily

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 07:16 (3438 days ago) @ scarab

• want quests
  • no RNG for quests (quests are for specific items with specific tech tree perks)

is that right?

They could use RNG to re-roll the perks and stats each time it is offered. It'd be in keeping with Xur and keeps the content relevant.

The 'Acolyte Rung' gauntlet Hunters get always seems to be a Dis/Str one with Increased Melee Speed perk. Once you have one, you don't need another.

I'd like more armour sets (especially INT DIS) but, the prospect of grinding out 75 CruMarks is daunting, boring and feels a bit pointless if CE armour is better. I should spend a week-and-a-half of marks upgrading my weapons instead, right?

Not necesssarily

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 07:40 (3438 days ago) @ RC

• want quests

is that right?

They could use RNG to re-roll the perks and stats each time it is offered. It'd be in keeping with Xur and keeps the content relevant.

The 'Acolyte Rung' gauntlet Hunters get always seems to be a Dis/Str one with Increased Melee Speed perk. Once you have one, you don't need another.

I'd like more armour sets (especially INT DIS) but, the prospect of grinding out 75 CruMarks is daunting, boring and feels a bit pointless if CE armour is better. I should spend a week-and-a-half of marks upgrading my weapons instead, right?

Agreed on having a specific reward while letting RNG change the stats a bit. I like the idea of having specific quests to earn weapons. Bungie used to talk about how they wanted you to have a story for how you earned your various pieces of gear. In practice it doesn't really work since you just randomly earn it. But if the vendors offered special quests (that were memorable) to earn gear, then you would have a story.

By controlling how often the quests appear, Bungie could still control progression. Although I really don't see any good reason to control progression like they are, but that's another topic entirely.

So you have a specific quest for Super Good Advice

by scarab @, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 10:28 (3438 days ago) @ RC
edited by scarab, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 10:32

and the perks and stats are RNGed.

Would quest X always be for object Y? Like Xyor is always for thorn.

Is the quest instead of upgrading or do you do quest to get object and then you upgrade object as usual?

Do you select the perk/stat combo you want my rejecting quest offers until you get the one you want?

Do you have several quests per object so people actually have to ask how you got it as opposed to just Googling my weapon? (or as my spell checker suggests: go ogling)

What was I thinking? Exotics already have specific quests (abort post).

Speaking of Super Good Advice...

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 15:35 (3438 days ago) @ scarab

and the perks and stats are RNGed.

Would quest X always be for object Y? Like Xyor is always for thorn.

Is the quest instead of upgrading or do you do quest to get object and then you upgrade object as usual?

Do you select the perk/stat combo you want my rejecting quest offers until you get the one you want?

Do you have several quests per object so people actually have to ask how you got it as opposed to just Googling my weapon? (or as my spell checker suggests: go ogling)

What was I thinking? Exotics already have specific quests (abort post).

There is a stage of the bounty that requires you to get 500 machine gun kills to 'please' the weapon. Headshots and sprees being more impressive.

Instead of waiting until after that stage to give you the weapon, that should be the first thing to do with Super Good Advice. Doing that could unlock the signature ability -'most missed rounds return to the magazine' - immediately. Then unlock the rest of the perks.

Speaking of Super Good Advice...

by scarab @, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 15:42 (3438 days ago) @ RC

There is a stage of the bounty that requires you to get 500 machine gun kills to 'please' the weapon. Headshots and sprees being more impressive.

And whatever you do, don't use a RL until you have got all 500 or incur a (5 death?) penalty per RL kill.

Instead of waiting until after that stage to give you the weapon, that should be the first thing to do with Super Good Advice. Doing that could unlock the signature ability -'most missed rounds return to the magazine' - immediately. Then unlock the rest of the perks.

I would be all for that but I would never use SGA to get those kills. I would always use a Swarm because it's the Suros Regime of heavy machine guns - single shot headshots for the win.

Bungie needs to go more RPG

by car15, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 10:01 (3438 days ago) @ RC

Yes, but only so long as Bungie releases no more than 1-2 quests at a time and charges $20 for each download.

[/negativity]

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 14:40 (3438 days ago) @ RC

I always thought it would be cool if a new faction/vendor raid/strike unlocked at a certain rep level. Rahool could ask us to find a rumored cache of Golden Age tech. The final encounter could be a fight with a greedy Ahamkara, long thought exctinct. Lord Shaxx could ask us to hunt down an enemy from the battle if the Twilight Gap. Each faction could ask us to do something in line with their belief. It sounds compelling and could shine some light on the various vendors, instead of just letting them be general stores.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 23:54 (3438 days ago) @ RC

So basically make Deus Ex? :-p

I lol'd

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 22, 2014, 06:58 (3437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread