It's a Christmas Miracle! (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 09:18 (3436 days ago)

So today I start my new weekly routine of dropping into the Hellmouth on Crota's End to snag the first chest with each of my characters. I'm really just hoping for shards and armor, but I've gotten some fun stuff from this chest before, so who knows.

My warlock gets the chest on the 5th or 6th try and ends up with some energy and the upgraded The Last Word. I never finished upgrading my old one, so cool! Instant bump to 300 damage! My hunter drops in and, after two or three tries, gets the chest from the second door a split second before getting murdered by thrall. For his sacrifice, he earns the team two energy and the new Gjallarhorn! I'm excited about the new toy, but my Titan hasn't had a go yet, and I really just need two more shards to finish leveling my raid chest. So the Titan drops in and, after just a couple of tries, snags the two shards I needed and a freakin' Thunderlord!

I've put a ridiculous amount of time into Destiny and gained a pretty nice collection of exotics in that time. Unfortunately, the two exotics that I've been dreaming of since E3--Gjallarhorn and Thunderlord--have always eluded me. Now, I have a new problem: Which one do I upgrade first?

-Disciple

It's a Christmas Miracle!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 09:39 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Which one do I upgrade first?

Has Gjallarhorn. Asks if he should upgrade something else first...

And I thought I was the troll...

Also, congrats on earning three exotics in under an hour!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 10:23 (3436 days ago) @ Korny

Has Gjallarhorn. Asks if he should upgrade something else first...

And I thought I was the troll...

I guess since the nightfall doesn't have arc burn this week, Thunderlord isn't quite as useful as it would have been last week, but still, I LOVE my HMGs.

-Disciple

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 14:04 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Thunderlord is a monster with field scout and lightning rounds. Yes, the recoil is crazy, but once it gets going...!!!! I pretty much solo'd Urzok last night with it.

Of course, I could have sat back from farther away and not put myself in any danger (with Gjallarhorn), but what's the fun in that???

I personally prefer Thunderlord

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 12:20 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Especially for crucible it wrecks in it.

I personally prefer Thunderlord

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 14:06 (3436 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Especially for crucible it wrecks in it.

So much this.

Now the question...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 13:41 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Will you do this with me today and share your luck? ;)

Absolutely!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 14:56 (3436 days ago) @ Mid7night

You're usually on around 11PM Central, right?

I'm down for a full Crota run if we can get enough people together. I doubt there's going to be much going on at work tomorrow, so I can probably get away with showing up in a zombie-like state after staying up late to crush Crota.

-Disciple

No patience...

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 15:27 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Just did it myself and got all mats. Not terrible, but not your luck!

No patience...

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 18:32 (3436 days ago) @ Mid7night

Darn. On the plus side, your characters are each one step closer to a "fun" drop. :)

-Disciple

Figured I'd try the same and got Hard Light!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 14:25 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Just need the Mythoclast now and then my pre-expansion exotics collection will be completed! :D

As for which to upgrade first, Gjallarhorn is top notch for Raids, whereas Thunderlord is great for PvP.

Got red death :D

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Tuesday, December 23, 2014, 22:46 (3436 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

:(

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 09:31 (3435 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I want that gun.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 11:12 (3435 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I want that gun.

Rest easier knowing it was better before the exotics patch.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 12:23 (3435 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I want that gun.

Rest easier knowing it was better before the exotics patch.

I'm in the process of upgrading mine now (it's the new 331 version).

So far, I'm finding it to be one of those niche weapons that can be incredible in specific situations, less useful in others. I was grinding glimmer on Venus (the courtyard area where the nexus strike begins). One of those "The enemy forces are moving against each other" events began. With Red Death equipped, I was able to stand my ground alone in the middle of the courtyard and take on the entire swarm of Fallen and Vex that came crashing in.

Against weaker swarms of enemies, it really shines. I was getting blasted from all sides, but I was regaining health almost every time I pulled the trigger. It allowed me to be a pure bullet sponge.

Where it's less useful is against heavily shielded enemies. Its attack properties are average at best, and it lacks any form of elemental damage. So if I'm attacking 3 minotaurs, it's far from the best choice. But if I'm up against swarms of thrawl (like say, during the beginning and end of the Crota raid) it might be one of the best weapons you can use, particularly if you prefer a "tank" playstyle.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 09:46 (3434 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Where it's less useful is against heavily shielded enemies. Its attack properties are average at best, and it lacks any form of elemental damage. So if I'm attacking 3 minotaurs, it's far from the best choice. But if I'm up against swarms of thrawl (like say, during the beginning and end of the Crota raid) it might be one of the best weapons you can use, particularly if you prefer a "tank" playstyle.

I always found the old Red Death to be good when fighting the cabal. It had accuracy to headshot, and the healing to withstand the explosive rounds they fire at you. It's last on my list to upgrade, so maybe if Xur rolls it again.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread