DBO Fireteam Builder Feedback Thread (DBO)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 16:05 (3413 days ago)

This is the feedback thread for the DBO Fireteam Builder. Let us know what you think!

DBO Fireteam Builder Feedback Thread

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 25, 2014, 16:48 (3413 days ago) @ Beorn

Feedback #1: YES.
Feedback #2: Great call on "save info". Is it an expire-able cookie?

Yup

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 17:25 (3413 days ago) @ ZackDark

Feedback #2: Great call on "save info". Is it an expire-able cookie?

Yeah, it lives with your login session and expires when you log out. That means it'll be different on each machine you login from.

Yup

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 29, 2014, 13:48 (3409 days ago) @ Beorn

Any chance we can simply save the information for our characters in our profile somewhere? Then we could simply select the appropriate character from anywhere.

Yup

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 29, 2014, 13:53 (3409 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Any chance we can simply save the information for our characters in our profile somewhere? Then we could simply select the appropriate character from anywhere.

I looked into that, but it's a bit more complicated than it sounds. ;-) Considering something like that for the future, though.

Love it!

by Earendil, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 22:40 (3413 days ago) @ Beorn

Two quick observations:
If you're not logged in, there is no indication that logging in is required (takes you to main forum page).
Maybe add a section to the intro that explains how this is different than destinyLFG, what objective they serve or what they facilitate different.

I can't wait to play with it and use it more :)

Good notes, thanks!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, December 26, 2014, 08:55 (3412 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Upcoming Events Summary

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 26, 2014, 09:12 (3412 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by dogcow, Friday, December 26, 2014, 09:35

I love this feature! I really like having a summary on the forum!

The summary is a little difficult to parse quickly. Perhaps it could be helped by a couple well placed line breaks? It would be nice to have the date & available slots on the second line. Perhaps there could be small icons representing the activity & difficulty instead of a text description (to save space / make it easier to understand at a glance). Perhaps the event title could be on a separate line too? (see the last "Need Help!" entry for example)

Something like this, only w/ the [VoG], [CE], [WS], [NF] replaced by an icon (or maybe just use abbreviations)

-------------------
Upcoming events
-------------------
[360] [VoG] (N) First timer VOG
Dec. 27, 8:00 PM (1/6)
-------------------
[XB1] [VoG] (H)
Jan. 02, 6:00 PM (1/6)
-------------------
[XB1] [CE] (N)
Jan. 05, 5:00 PM (4/6)
-------------------
[PS4] [WS] (26)
Jan. 05, 5:00 PM (2/3)
-------------------
[PS4] [NF] (1/3)
Need Help!
Jan. 05, 5:00 PM
-------------------

(what levels is the weekly strike at? is 26 one of them?)

Great ideas

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, December 26, 2014, 11:42 (3412 days ago) @ dogcow

The sidebar formatting can certainly use some work. Good suggestions!

Forum Thread Link?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 26, 2014, 09:55 (3412 days ago) @ Beorn

It might be nice if there was a way to link a scheduled event to a forum thread. Maybe just provide a field to hyperlink to a thread? That way you could hit the link & discuss particulars.

I'm just full of ideas (& probably bad ones at that).

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Friday, December 26, 2014, 10:47 (3412 days ago) @ Beorn

This is totally rad! Definitely will help since I really only interact with DBO. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that the "Guardian" field in the form meant GT/PSN name, and by default it had filled in my forum username, which is slightly different. The only UI suggestion would be to leave it blank by default, since the subsequent forms show "gamertag" in that box.

Agreed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, December 26, 2014, 11:43 (3412 days ago) @ snakegriffin

- No text -

by Up North 65 @, Friday, December 26, 2014, 14:51 (3412 days ago) @ Beorn

How does the time change work? Next to where I added a time it has (America, Los Angles) but I live in Denver. And when Vagueness checked it out it posted 1500 instead of 2000. So does the time need to be adjusted to PST or enter in what time I'd like the event to start in MST and then it does its magic when others view it? On another note when viewing the forums from safari on my iPhone the fire team builder link in the top right as well as the sidebar are both missing, don't know if thats by design or the settings on my phone are wonky.

Thanks,
Jones

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, December 26, 2014, 14:57 (3412 days ago) @ Up North 65

Click on your username up in the right hand corner. Under that the Time Zone selected is the Time Zone you'll see in the Fireteam Builder.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, December 26, 2014, 22:04 (3412 days ago) @ Xenos

Click on your username up in the right hand corner. Under that the Time Zone selected is the Time Zone you'll see in the Fireteam Builder.

Right. It's linked to your forum settings. All times are saved as UTC in the database and are converted for display based on your preference.

The reason you don't see the link or sidebar item is because you're not logged-in on your phone. I realize now that lots of folks browse the forum while *not* logged-in, so that's on my to-do list for updates/fixes.

by petetheduck, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 08:15 (3411 days ago) @ Beorn

I like the feature.

I don't like that it requires logging in. I know that requirement lets you auto-convert the time zone, but I'd rather be able to see upcoming events as a guest and do the PST/EST conversion myself.

Also, can you add a 'note' field or something for people signing up? So people can list their alts or weapons or if they'll be on early or late or etc.

Both already on the to-do list! ;-)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 08:20 (3411 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 10:11 (3411 days ago) @ Beorn

Don't have events disappear immediarely once they start. I have no idea who may have signed up for the vault of glass today at the last minute

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 12:39 (3411 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't have events disappear immediarely once they start. I have no idea who may have signed up for the vault of glass today at the last minute

Yeah… I realized that a bit late. What do you think, four hours as a good window? Also planning to list your previous events from the past couple of weeks on the main FTB page as well.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 13:02 (3411 days ago) @ Beorn

Just have a link to today's events that's accessible maybe?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, December 27, 2014, 14:01 (3411 days ago) @ Beorn

Maybe make it a user setting? Set it for 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours and 4 hours, default being 10 minutes.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, December 27, 2014, 15:26 (3411 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah… I realized that a bit late. What do you think, four hours as a good window? Also planning to list your previous events from the past couple of weeks on the main FTB page as well.

Four hours seems a bit long. At that point either the event is well underway, is finished, or never started. I'd keep them up for two hours. 1 hour for sure as it has taken us that long to just gather people and start then add another hour for safety.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Sunday, December 28, 2014, 06:16 (3410 days ago) @ Beorn

How about displaying "In Progress" events for 12 hours which is perhaps a bit long but is slightly longer than some VOG early runs. Add a button to mark events as completed to close the event early and provide feedback.

Some Updates!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, December 28, 2014, 22:33 (3410 days ago) @ Beorn

Just wanted to everyone know that we have pushed a few updates to the FTB.

Patch Notes:

• Removed login restriction. Everyone should be able to browse events regardless of their login status. Default time zone for non-logged-in users is "America/Los_Angeles". You must still be logged-in to create events and RSVP.
  • Events now disappear from the lists 2 hours after their scheduled start time.
  • Users can no longer create events more than 3 months out (Raga was creating events for the discovery of Alpha Halo…).
  • Fixed some errors preventing the "quick RSVP" button from appearing on new events.

Another suggestion: Day of the week

by Earendil, Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:14 (3409 days ago) @ Beorn

I realize we want to keep the listing as de-cluttered as possible, but for those of us with a consistent schedule knowing up front which day of the week an event takes place is almost more helpful than knowing the date. 9am Saturday vs Monday, or 7pm Thursday vs Friday. The first thing I do when looking at the list of events is pull up a calendar :)

Maybe that is a "far future" update, to add a calendar view. Can you have that magically sync to my phone as well? ;-)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:59 (3409 days ago) @ Earendil

Yeah, working on a cleaner condensed format for the sidebar. Day of the week is a good idea.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 08:24 (3408 days ago) @ Beorn

If nothing else, simply putting a linebreak before the date would make the format a bit cleaner.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 08:26 (3408 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't know if it already does this, but email notification whenever someone RSVPs would be nice. Or at least a checkbox to request email notification like when we post on the forums?

Links in the description field?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 15:11 (3408 days ago) @ Beorn

How am I supposed to surreptitiously tell my peeps that the party's started?

Links in the description field?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 16:03 (3408 days ago) @ iconicbanana

The description field takes the same formatting as forum posts, so you can use links and YouTube embed tags…

Oooooooooh!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 16:06 (3408 days ago) @ Beorn

So just drop some brackets in there! Aight, I don't think you need to do anything else with it, it's perfect.

Time Shift Bug?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, January 02, 2015, 12:31 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

I see a "Late Night Raid" listed for 9:30AM, when the description text (builder-typed) says 12:30AM EST.... It appears the math is right, but the AM/PM logic isn't following. No biggie, just something I noticed.

AWESOME tool BTW! Can't wait to make use of it myself (non-consistent playing schedule is prohibitive), but it is certainly helpful to see if there's anyone available. :D

User Error?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:08 (3405 days ago) @ Mid7night

I see a "Late Night Raid" listed for 9:30AM, when the description text (builder-typed) says 12:30AM EST.... It appears the math is right, but the AM/PM logic isn't following. No biggie, just something I noticed.

AWESOME tool BTW! Can't wait to make use of it myself (non-consistent playing schedule is prohibitive), but it is certainly helpful to see if there's anyone available. :D

I noticed that, too. I think CruelLEGACEY selected the AM instead of PM option when he made the event. I updated the event to reflect his description.

User Error?

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:11 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

I noticed that, too. I think CruelLEGACEY selected the AM instead of PM option when he made the event. I updated the event to reflect his description.

AH, yes, I see what you mean. Also I see two very similar posts from him which both say "late night", but are 12 hours apart. :P

User Error?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:16 (3405 days ago) @ Mid7night

AH, yes, I see what you mean. Also I see two very similar posts from him which both say "late night", but are 12 hours apart. :P

Yeah, he appears to be double-booked. CruelLEGACEY, can you fix those?

Semi related question

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:19 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

I didn't have a chance to check last night...is the time always EST? Or does it conform to your location?

If I want to start an event at 6pm PST, for instance, and I'm in Oregon, do I say 9pm or 6pm?

It's tied to your forum time zone

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:27 (3405 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I didn't have a chance to check last night...is the time always EST? Or does it conform to your location?
If I want to start an event at 6pm PST, for instance, and I'm in Oregon, do I say 9pm or 6pm?

As mentioned in the stickied post, all times in the Fireteam Builder are tied to your Forum time zone, which is set on your profile page. You should definitely change your forum time zone to match your locale!

In addition, when you create an event, it says (right next to the date/time entry) what time zone is expected:

[image]

Gotcha

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:29 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

I was out of town when it dropped originally, and I need to go back and read through it. Thanks for dropping fat knowledge on plebes like me.

User Error?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, January 02, 2015, 14:27 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah, he appears to be double-booked. CruelLEGACEY, can you fix those?

CruelLegacey always starts playing around 12:30am EST. When he posted the first one for Friday night, 12:30 EST, that technically is Saturday morning, but Friday night at 11:30pm for me. I noticed the fireteam builder specifically said 12:30am EST, 11:30am (Central/Midwest) - which led me to believe that the tool itself was erroneously thinking that one hour before 12:30am was actually 11:30am (instead of pm).

Platform filter

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:42 (3405 days ago) @ Beorn

I love that this is getting so much use! I plan on using it more myself.

I see that the length of the list is starting to get long (and hopefully even longer, yeah?). While I do have a level 7 (?) character on the xbox platforms I don't really play there unless PSN is down (all last week). A checkbox to just show me upcoming events based on platform (ps4, 350, xb1, ps3) could be helpful. (does anyone here even play on ps3?)

Yeah…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, January 02, 2015, 13:45 (3405 days ago) @ dogcow

That's definitely something on the to-do-soon list. :)

Suggestion: Email updates on Changes

by Earendil, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:09 (3393 days ago) @ Beorn

Here are a few that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet. I thought I'd send them your way because I'm sure you are completely out of new ideas and suggestions to implement, and your free time is burning holes in your pocket :)

The three things I'd love to see sometime in the future:

A) Ability to pm/email participants
B) Automatic email updates (e.g. updates when a thread has a replay). At minimum I'd like to know:
C) Clean mobile interface

------------------------------------

Ability to pm/email participants

As an event creator, I'd like to be able to quickly contact those that have signed up via an active means, instead of a passive means such as creating a thread in hopes that they see it, or updating the description and hope that they catch it.

Either via a PM system (which I don't think *BO has?), or perhaps via email. Might require a participant to check a box stating they don't mind the creator emailing them. Maybe it could be anonymous emailing?

Automatic email updates

I'd love to be informed via email of the following actions in each situation:

As an event creator:
1. When my team is maxed
Bonus:
2. When someone joins
3. When someone leaves

As an event participant:
1. If the event changes time
2. If the event changes description
Bonus:
3. Reminders for events coming up (there are substitute mechanisms for this though)
4. When my team is maxed

Those items above the "Bonus" lines I consider to be information that would likely cause me to take action, or get me to come to the forum to post. Those things under the bonus would just be "nice to haves", but wouldn't impact how I interact with the system.

Use Cases:
I spent a lot of yesterday as an event creator refreshing the page simply to see if anyone else had signed up.

Use Case:
A few guys on the forum this morning were wondering if an event they were signed up for had been canceled. It'd suck even more if they hopped online at the last minute only to realize the even was canceled the day before, or the time had been bumped up an hour.

Of course, have it all be customizable such that I can pick and choose only those things I'd like to be informed of :)

Clean mobile interface

I probably don't need to say this, but having a slicker mobile interface would be helpful. As is I have to do a lot of zooming and scrolling to read the info on my phone, and I have to do it all again when I refresh the page.

Email is top of the list

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 14:10 (3393 days ago) @ Earendil

Email notifications are at the top of my to-do list.

And good thoughts re mobile. Not much I can do for the forum itself right now, but we should be able to get the FTB-specific pages looking okay.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread