Always online (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 19:01 (3434 days ago)

Oh wow. I just want to level my last hunter to 20 all by myself, but NOOOOOO PSN is down. If this is North Korea's doing…

Always online

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 19:11 (3434 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, Un is punishing you by keeping your Hunter too low for more flawless raids.

:-)

Always online

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 19:16 (3434 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Last night I needed just 1 more crucible game to get the marks I needed for some titan boots. After an hour and a half I gave up trying to finish a game without getting dropped. I finally got that game today, went to the tower, and accidentally bought the wrong boots while I was comparing them.

Always online

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 21:01 (3434 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lizard Squad claiming responsibility. I'm not mad at them as much as im mad at sony's reluctance to deal with this issue becaause it doesn't affect their bottom line enough.

Always online

by Kahzgul, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 21:46 (3434 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

What's stupid is Lizard Squad said they'd do this a month ago and sony still wasn't prepared for DDoS. Also, I thought Lizard Squad was exposed by some white hats a few weeks ago? How are they still allowed to operate when everyone knows who they are?

Always online

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 25, 2014, 23:05 (3434 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What's stupid is Lizard Squad said they'd do this a month ago and sony still wasn't prepared for DDoS. Also, I thought Lizard Squad was exposed by some white hats a few weeks ago? How are they still allowed to operate when everyone knows who they are?

I'd say the most likely possibility is that no authorities have confirmed that those "revealed" identities are correct, and/or linked them to any actual crimes or open investigations. A public accusation isn't actually enough for an automatic and immediate arrest under our* current justice system. We tried it once in Salem, it didn't go well.

*I say "our" going under the assumption that some or all of them are American. I haven't bothered to look up their alleged identities, so that may not be correct.

Other possible factors include:

1. Lizard Squad is made up of more individuals than those identified.

2. Going off of the caveat listed above, some or all of them may reside somewhere where it's not easily possible to detain them.

3. Lizard Squad hires botnets to perform their DDoS attacks for them. It's possible that payment for this was already completed, and the commands issued, before the doxxing occurred.

4. The exposed identities may be wrong. Doxxings have been wrong plenty of times.

5. The whole doxxing itself may be complete BS, orchestrated either by Lizard Squad themselves for lulz, or by someone else, probably also for lulz.

Also, don't assume that because a DDoS was threatened, that means Sony/MS can just easily "block" it or something. It's not that simple. Lizard Squad didn't specify which points in the network they were going after, where from, what type of traffic they'd be spamming, etc. And those things may all be changing as the attack proceeds.

Always online

by Raflection, Friday, December 26, 2014, 00:19 (3434 days ago) @ stabbim

Also, don't assume that because a DDoS was threatened, that means Sony/MS can just easily "block" it or something. It's not that simple. Lizard Squad didn't specify which points in the network they were going after, where from, what type of traffic they'd be spamming, etc. And those things may all be changing as the attack proceeds.

The white hats who doxxed them found the flaws and told both Microsoft and Sony about these flaws. Sony and Microsoft clearly didn't listen.

Always online

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 26, 2014, 07:17 (3433 days ago) @ Raflection

The white hats who doxxed them found the some flaws and told both Microsoft and Sony about these flaws.

Fixed that for ya. There's no way for us to know at this point whether the flaws they found and reported were the same ones being targeted. And even if they were, we don't know that they were fixable in the timeframe available.

And this is all assuming that the whole doxxing thing wasn't just a fabrication.

Always online

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, December 26, 2014, 11:03 (3433 days ago) @ Raflection

The white hats who doxxed them found the flaws and told both Microsoft and Sony about these flaws. Sony and Microsoft clearly didn't listen.

I don't know the details of this case, but the whole strength of a DDOS attack is that it's incredibly simple to set up and incredibly difficult to defend against.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread